MICHAEL KEATON RETURNS (or at least in discussion) AS BATMAN

Is Keaton likely to get another project? (if he still wants one that is)

I doubt it--despite all the praise Keaton is getting, I don't think Gunn wants to rely on older material again. Using the storyline of Flashpoint to bring an older Batman back was the only thing that made The Flash finally happen (or financially viable, at the planning stage), so it was kind of a necessity there.

Thing is, Keaton signed onto this film knowing there were more appearances waiting in the wings, and after all the studio shakeups, he probably finds it a headache. I wouldn't be surprised if he's content to let sleeping dogs lie. He said he got a lot out of the return experience, feeling like he finally "nailed" the character, and I think he'll probably be content to leave it there.

I'd watch another Keaton/Batman project, although not the same variant that was in The Flash. A Batman Beyond direct sequel to Batman Returns *gulp* near 35 years into future.

Wouldn't have to have Tim Burton directing it either, but I'd like him to have a hand in the aesthetics & visuals. I'd like it to be as close to his Gotham as possible with some elements modernised & others still looking like they're from the 90's.

I'd watch another Keaton/Batman project, although not the same variant that was in The Flash. A Batman Beyond direct sequel to Batman Returns *gulp* near 35 years into future.

Wouldn't have to have Tim Burton directing it either, but I'd like him to have a hand in the aesthetics & visuals. I'd like it to be as close to his Gotham as possible with some elements modernised & others still looking like they're from the 90's.
Yeah that would be my ideal, especially if Pfeiffer also signed up. Yeah as long as Burton is involved with the visuals/setting I don’t mind if he doesn’t direct.

I doubt it--despite all the praise Keaton is getting, I don't think Gunn wants to rely on older material again. Using the storyline of Flashpoint to bring an older Batman back was the only thing that made The Flash finally happen (or financially viable, at the planning stage), so it was kind of a necessity there.

Thing is, Keaton signed onto this film knowing there were more appearances waiting in the wings, and after all the studio shakeups, he probably finds it a headache. I wouldn't be surprised if he's content to let sleeping dogs lie. He said he got a lot out of the return experience, feeling like he finally "nailed" the character, and I think he'll probably be content to leave it there.
Oh yes, I think a lot of the old speculation had been based on The Flash doing really well. Now that it’s bombed there will be less pressure on Gunn from other execs to do another Keaton project, and he probably wants to focus fully on his new universe.

Yeah that would be my ideal, especially if Pfeiffer also signed up. Yeah as long as Burton is involved with the visuals/setting I don’t mind if he doesn’t direct.

It could be a bit of a Ghostbusters: Afterlife sort of scenario in that you could service the older generation by including Keaton, Pfeiffer & whoever else is willing/able from those original Batman movies, but also adding a breath of fresh air with some new characters.

It seems the chances are dim now, but I'm so dreaming of a final Keaton standalone Batman movie. Pfeiffer too would be the 'chef's kiss'.

I wish keaton did a standalone batman beyond based in a futuristic cyberpunk setting. He was the only thing i liked about The Flash.

Hard to say...personally i would like that...but only if Burton is involved.
Seeing as he is praised for his performance in Flash, i could see that.

But its hard to say if Gunn is open to do stuff that is outside of "His" universe.
I do think it would be smart, do a lower budget Burton Batman...i think that could work.

They gave him Beetlejuice 2.

Now, who knows maybe in a bizarre twist another Keaton Batman project follows it except to hook the younger audience maybe cast Ortega as Helena, and have her as the new main character.

I suppose there's a chance we might have seen at least elements of the Burtonverse return in future adventures, but we weren't going to get BATMAN BEYOND. I get the appeal, but don't know why anyone expected that once Keaton was hired and rumors and film plans started coming out. And I don't know that Keaton with his quirks would be all that suited for any traditional take on it. Mentoring Flash and BATGIRL was their take on BATMAN BEYOND, and then the plan was a quasi-KINGDOM COME take on an aging Bruce Wayne as mentor for however long, ironically probably in a Brave and The Bold capacity. Which would have been fine to see, but not strictly necessary. Because almost any verson of Batman can serve as a mentor figure.

They gave him Beetlejuice 2.

Now, who knows maybe in a bizarre twist another Keaton Batman project follows it except to hook the younger audience maybe cast Ortega as Helena, and have her as the new main character.
That's a nice thought. Btw, do you know how tiny Jenna Ortega is? She's 4' 11" - 5' 1" (depending on the website)! Not saying she couldn't do it - heck Keaton's not 6' 2" either! :yay:

I don't think this will happen BUT:

There would be enough fan-interest in another Keaton-led Batman project. But this one would have to feature Pfeiffer and it would have to be a story worth telling. A story that actually says something about the character and where Keaton's Bruce is at in his life. It would need to be:

- Steeped in the Burton aesthetic.
- Target the older demographic and appeals to their interests.
- Be a limited series event. No more movies.
- I'm thinking 6 episodes with Burton as a producer only.
- Create a story that means Batman and Catwoman need to suit up one last time to deal with a big scale mob issue (or whatever).

One final adventure to send Keaton and Pfeiffer off into the sunset.

OR

Pivot entirely and do a version of Catwoman: Lonely City as a miniseries, with Keaton playing a supporting role.

why-catwoman-lonely-city-is-perfect-for-michelle-pfeiffer-batman-return.webp

The Elseworlds brand is there for a reason.

I don't think this will happen BUT:

There would be enough fan-interest in another Keaton-led Batman project. But this one would have to feature Pfeiffer and it would have to be a story worth telling. A story that actually says something about the character and where Keaton's Bruce is at in his life. It would need to be:

- Steeped in the Burton aesthetic.
- Target the older demographic and appeals to their interests.
- Be a limited series event. No more movies.
- I'm thinking 6 episodes with Burton as a producer only.
- Create a story that means Batman and Catwoman need to suit up one last time to deal with a big scale mob issue (or whatever).

One final adventure to send Keaton and Pfeiffer off into the sunset.

OR

Pivot entirely and do a version of Catwoman: Lonely City as a miniseries, with Keaton playing a supporting role.

why-catwoman-lonely-city-is-perfect-for-michelle-pfeiffer-batman-return.webp

The Elseworlds brand is there for a reason.
As long as Pfieffer is there and the project features a Burton aesthetic, I'm sold!

what_are_your_favourite_and_least_favourite

I still don’t think we’ve gotten a definitive cowl yet for the dark knight. Which is your favorite?

I still don’t think we’ve gotten a definitive cowl yet for the dark knight. Which is your favorite?

Leaving aside the actors (looks and performance), and just going on cowl design,

Best: Batman Forever
Worst: The Batman

It's a shame you haven't got Batman Returns there. That would probably get my vote as 'Best'.

Leaving aside the actors (looks and performance), and just going on cowl design,

Best: Batman Forever
Worst: The Batman

It's a shame you haven't got Batman Returns there. That would probably get my vote as 'Best'.

I agree with you 100%. I Think Batman Returns have the cleanest cowl.

lol - Pattinson's is perfect and easily the best.

216073.gif
God, I've loathed Pattinson's cowl ever since it was first revealed. I will say though that during the movie I barely noticed it. His performance carried me along completely, to the point where afterwards I thought maybe I'd come around to the design. But then looking at some pictures, nope! :funny: All credit to Pattinson though, who I thought did a fantastic job.

I can't imagine another thick rubber cowl... Keaton's in The Flash looked dumb af - he looked like he was always holding his head slightly back.

Don't get me started on whatever Affleck stunt double was wearing in The Flash.

Pattinson's ears were my only issue, pre-trailers // but nope, those rule.

The cowl's best skill is to let his eyes/his chin/silhouette speak for the look.

The best drawn cowls do the same...

EAqM9MtUcAApRxn.jpg:large

capullo_batman_9_23_2014_by_myconius_d80c9ab-pre.jpg

CmWLW8GWYAEOXNM.jpg

My favorite is one of those not in the picture : the one from Batman Returns.
I love the sculpt, and it's always so well lit.

FcqUI6Wk.jpg

MV5BMGYzMTc5MDMtM2Y2Zi00MTk1LWJlY2MtNjgyMTY0NWI5NjZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIyNjA2MTk@._V1_.jpg

And for me, Keaton can look mean like no other Batman actor with it!
batman-returns-michael-keaton.jpg

It's ironic because while I'm not one of those people who insist on things being comic accurate, I think that, in the end, this is the most "classic" cowl yet. It's not that far from Aparo's Batman, for example, and many other interpretations from the 70s/80s/early 90s (which I'm currently diving in).

Otherwise, I love the feel of The Batman's cowl. Yeah, the ears look a bit like antennae on some angle, but the textures, the stitching... I really hope those stay in the sequel.

And just to share my favorite shot from this one:
The-Batman.jpeg

Returns is my favorite, too, but I actually LOVE the Pattinson cowl. It’s kind of ugly and rough but that’s kind of part of its charm. And holy crap, his eyes in that cowl?! Legendary.
The reason I love Pattinson is very much the reason I love Keaton. Pattinson gave me very similar vibes and easily became my favorite Batman after Keaton. ‘The cowl just added to it.

I actually did grow to like the new Keaton cowl. It looked great during the Russia sequence, especially that shot in the plane.

Keaton, Pattinson and Affleck are my live action top three. Even if they never gave Affleck a Batman film of his own (or wrote good enough material for him), he played Batman very similar to Keaton--intense and brooding. As if he's a "controlled psychopath" as Keaton said recently.

Pattinson feels less intense than Keaton and Affleck, but he keeps the very monosyllabic/lonely/isolated quality that Keaton pioneered. Keaton and Rob, similarly, are hermits as Bruce Wayne, with no public persona to speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"