New "DC Universe" label from WHV - 13 animated films planned

SolidRoar

Sidekick
Reaction score
Warner Announces 'DC Universe'

Warner Home Video and DC Comics are teaming up to bring a slate of thirteen animated films under the new "DC Universe" series DVD label. The films, to be released at a rate of two to three per year, will be joint productions between the writers and artists at both DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation. The first titles due out of the gate in 2007 include Justice League: New Frontier (written by Stan Berkowitz), Superman: Doomsday (written by Batman: The Animated Series' Bruce Timm) and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (written by Marv Wolfman and Tom DeSanto). Future titles planned for the line will feature characters Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and others.
*SOURCE*: http://davisdvd.com/news/animation.html

Sounds cool. But what's the catch? There's always a catch.

Dr. Fate said:
Sounds cool. But what's the catch? There's always a catch.

Its from the makers of "THE BATMAN" series. :woot:

I bet that Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns will also get animated features.

I could have sworn that when it was first announced, New Frontier was going to be written by Darwyn Cooke himself.

please make crisis on infinite earths

hippie_hunter said:
I bet that Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns will also get animated features.
Those are the two that Im really hoping for. Especially Kingdom Come.

Looking forward to these especially Superman: Doomsday:yay:

If a animated film by Paul Dini is done,then there is nothing to fear.It will be good.

Jourmugand said:
If a animated film by Paul Dini is done,then there is nothing to fear.It will be good.

Darwin Cooke (New Frontier), Marv Wolfman (Judas Contract). They're trying to get Frank Miller for the Dark Knight Returns!

Even without Paul Dini, there is nothing to fear.

Though I am hoping that the DTVs concerning Superman/Doomsday, the untitled Justice League DTV, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash will be part of the DCAU and not stand alone movies like New Frontier and the Judas Contract are.

I want Batman: The Long Halloween or Hush. Either is fine, but both would also be very nice. I just love most of Jeph Loeb's stuff. I hope Marvel sees what DC is doing and put some of their stories on film.

Come to think of it, Superman for all Seasons wouldnt be bad.

LOUD_SILENT_MAN said:
I want Batman: The Long Halloween or Hush. Either is fine, but both would also be very nice. I just love most of Jeph Loeb's stuff. I hope Marvel sees what DC is doing and put some of their stories on film.
If you do Long Halloween, then you need to do Dark Victory. And there are a ton of books that should be done before Hush.

ToddIsDead said:
If you do Long Halloween, then you need to do Dark Victory. And there are a ton of books that should be done before Hush.

They could probably get away with The Long Halloween and Dark Victory in one movie.

LOUD_SILENT_MAN said:
They could probably get away with The Long Halloween and Dark Victory in one movie.
That's possible too, but I'd rather they be kept separate.

ToddIsDead said:

Why? Hush is one of the best batman comic arcs I have read and its style would make for a very good Cartoon film.

They said the plan is to make the features reflect the art designs of the source materials. Can someone tell me how they're gonna accomplish that with Kingdom Come without using 3D? That would be too costy. Maybe they should see if the DTV's are a hit first, then use the same label for a theatrical feature film! (Hey, one can dream, right??)

Maybe Alex Ross can do the concept designs, and maybe make it just look alittle more cartoonie.

StorminNorman said:
Why? Hush is one of the best batman comic arcs I have read and its style would make for a very good Cartoon film.
Because Hush was good at best and mediocre at worst, and there are a million other Batman books that are better, that would make really interesting animated features. Don't get me wrong, I like Hush. I've got the hardcovers. But I'd sure as Hell rather see Year One, DKR, Arkham Asylum, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Cult, or even Matt Wagner's Dark Moon Rising series, among others. Even Broken Bat, or No Man's Land would be more interesting IMO.

What if they did a Hellblazer movie? Could they pull it off?
or even Sandman?

SolidRoar said:
They said the plan is to make the features reflect the art designs of the source materials. Can someone tell me how they're gonna accomplish that with Kingdom Come without using 3D? That would be too costy. Maybe they should see if the DTV's are a hit first, then use the same label for a theatrical feature film! (Hey, one can dream, right??)
kingdomcomefriendswf4.jpg

If a simplistic style like the Super Friends can capture some of the nuances of the KC characters, then I'm not too woried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"