• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New SHIELD Series

This first issue, I'm not sure how I really feel about it. It's well written, but...wow..I'm perplexed, I can't even form a review for the bought and thought thread.

Did someone mention Fury's incompetence? What about Reed Richards? He's supposedly this big genius, but man he's a ******ed monkey compared to the guys in this ish. Heck, one of them defeated Galactus while much of the rest of society was still throwing their crap out the windows into the streets.

First Look: SHIELD #2

2wn0pbt.jpg

SHIELD #2
Written by: Jonathan Hickman
Art by: Dustin Weaver
Price: $2.99
Release Date: June 3, 2010

Why don't we know about the first super heroes of the Marvel Universe? Leonardo Da Vinci, Imhotep, Sir Issac Newton, Nostradamus and Galileo are among the members of the Brotherhood of the Shield and have saved us all countless times.

What events did they set in motion that still affect the Marvel U today? Do not miss the book that will be talked about for the next ten years.

- Marvel

Did someone mention Fury's incompetence? What about Reed Richards? He's supposedly this big genius, but man he's a ******ed monkey compared to the guys in this ish. Heck, one of them defeated Galactus while much of the rest of society was still throwing their crap out the windows into the streets.

'The guys' are people the likes of Leonardo Da Vinci, and the 'one of them' was Galileo, who many have argued as the father of modern science. These people are considered some of the most talented, skilled, and brilliant people from the history of the world. Not to mention, this is their MU counterparts, which of course is pretty exaggerated like many of the geniuses of modern MU. Given the right tools, I'm sure MU Galileo would have kicked Galactus' ass

'The guys' are people the likes of Leonardo Da Vinci, and the 'one of them' was Galileo, who many have argued as the father of modern science. These people are considered some of the most talented, skilled, and brilliant people from the history of the world. Not to mention, this is their MU counterparts, which of course is pretty exaggerated like many of the geniuses of modern MU. Given the right tools, I'm sure MU Galileo would have kicked Galactus' ass

So he beats Galactus before electricity is even invented. Okay. While you're at it, feel free to stamp the word ***** onto big G's forehead.

That doesn't make Galileo look cool, it just makes the whole story look stupid.

Last edited:
So he beats Galactus before electricity is even invented. Okay. While you're at it, feel free to stamp the word ***** onto big G's forehead.

That doesn't make Galileo look cool, it just makes the whole story look stupid.

Who said anything about it making Galileo 'look cool' :whatever:

I was just stating general knowledge. Galileo was a genius, and in the MU, genius is often exaggerated. Unless you really believe people pull Earth-defending inventions out their asses like Richards does in less than thirty minutes after a threat surfaces. Like I said, given the proper tools (which we may see later as the series progresses what he fully employed), I have no doubt the MU version of Galileo could do it.

So quickly dismissive of things in a world of gamma powered giants and Gods who walk among us just because it's 'some guy' in the this world's past does not a knowledgeable statement seem

95zmkj.jpg

S.H.I.E.L.D. #3
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Penciled by DUSTIN WEAVER
Cover by GERALD PAREL
Historical Variant by DUSTIN WEAVER
The surprise hit of the year marches on! In this issue, discover the secrets of Sir Issac Newton, see how Galileo defeated Galactus long before the Fantastic Four ever did and find out why Leonardo da Vinci traveled over 400 years to do. All of this from the twisted minds of writer Jonathan Hickman (FANTASTIC FOUR) and superstar in the making Dustin Weaver (X-MEN LEGACY)!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

I kind of wish we could get to see how Fury and the modern SHIELD fits into all of this. The first couple issues haven't been bad, but I think they're suffering for their lack of any kind of touchstone to the familiar Marvel universe.

I think this series suffers from being bi-monthly. I have really enjoyed this and when # 3 comes out I'm gonna have to read # 1 and # 2 all over again to remind myself of what's going on.

However, Dustin Weaver's artwork is phenomenal!

It's so weird that it tends to stick in my mind. Leonardo Da Vinci is taking the new guy from the '30s (or '50s, I don't remember specifically) on a tour of SHIELD, and we just learned that Howard Stark and Nathaniel Richards worked for SHIELD back in the day.

How does this work exactly? I was always under the impression that Fury created SHIELD.

Fury never created SHIELD. The UN did (with substantial backing from the US) and brought Fury on as its first director (with Tony Stark as a tech consultant) initially. That was retconned a bunch of times over the years. This series just looks to be the biggest retcon of all.

:up:

I have the feeling that some bad things are going to be brewing between Newton and Da Vinci.

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and drop this series. So far it's literally just been Hickman throwing historical figures into Marvel continuity and going, "Look! Historical figures in Marvel continuity! Isn't it awwwwwwwesome that Galileo fought Galactus?!" The novelty's worn off for me and the rest of the story isn't really interesting enough to keep me going. I was perfectly content with SHIELD as an espionage agency started during the Cold War.

I agree with Corp, and I have not even read a single issue of this series.

Well, I'm enjoying the series so far. I like how Hickman is playing around with history here, and like the idea of real world people who are a more "super" version of themselves in the Marvel Universe reality. I really don't mind the retcon to S.H.I.E.L.D's history either, its a fun story, that really can be ignored in future stories, therefore not affecting it all that much. It can be part of its history, but S.H.I.E.L.D is still S.H.I.E.L.D. Also Weaver is simply fantastic.

Real people in fictional situations always seem a bit cheesy to me. References to them are fine, but taking an active role... I don't know. Like, the fact that the Human Torch killed Hitler in the Marvel universe just seems weird. I prefer DC's hands-off version where Hitler's death went down the same way as in reality and the heroes operated more on the periphery of the war. Same principle with this series.

Wow that's suprising to hear. I just figured the series wasn't selling so it ended. I've only read the first volume. I've been wanting to read the rest but Comixology still has those books listed at 2.99. Why is Marvel so ridiculous with their digital pricing?

Anyways, I really liked this take on S.H.I.E.L.D. even though I didn't totally understand all the Hickman speak. It'd be nice to see this continued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"