• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

*Official* NBA Offseason Topic

Mister J said:
Keep telling yourself Wade is a normal player and that the Finals were fixed. See if you can together with Oliver Stone and get a movie done about it. :up:

How exactly was Wade or any of the tri-captains exposed? They were the best thing going on that team game in an game out. The Americans were predicted by several media outlets to not win the gold, particularly due to a lack of chemistry when compared to the other teams. That, taken into account with poor defense and shooting led to the loss. Individual shortcomings had nothing to do with it. That team was far more talented than any there, but lacked the cohesiveness and synergy to get it done.

Whew, good thing Wade and Lebron can head back to the good ol' crooked NBA, where Godfather Stern will naturally engineer more shadiness resulting in the Heat and Cavs trading championships for the next 10 years. :cool:

I Love This Game. :up:

Everybody thought the US was ready for the world. Only pessimistic phag Chris Sheridan from ESPN.com thought other wise. Why the hell didnt D. Wade body through the greek paint? If he can body through Dallas and Detroit he should have done the same. I was ready for him to act like it was June all over again. Gimme prime time TV in the mid Summer Wadey!
All you heard about this squad was they had cohesivness and synergey but as the games went on the wheels fell off and they were jacking up dumb 3's again (32% from the field in the greek game at one point).
They need to play defensife. I'm not the biggest Kobe fan but Bean can D up as much as he can score and Chauncey can set u defensive rotations. Dont sleep on Pierce either. Heindrich and Howard are still developing but they have defensive games that are still not ready (although Kirk can D, ask Wade)

But you know ultimatley this team is still better than the 2002 an 2004 squads and it's only a matter of improving as they go along. The qualifiers next year should be a little easier but stick to the game plan. Getting gold si a long road back although it's still hard to believe we havent won a world title since 94 ( and before that we struggled, trust me the world competiton is harder thant the olympics because more teams can enter but I digress).

Road to gold is a long one but it's still the right road....

I didn't expect any standout performances from Wade or anybody else on the US. I was surprised when Carmelo took over and went off for 35 when he did. In a way, I believe that kind of singular effort was frowned on in theory, but it was kind of a neccessity in the Italy game. I wouldn't have minded seeing more that in the closer games, but with everyone trying to be cooperative, I think guys were hesitant.

No doubt this team was better assembled than some of our previous sqauds, but that alone wasn't gonna carry the day against the international teams who have been playing together for several years. Most of the media spots I saw were predicting a better effort this time around, ultimately falling short of the gold in Worlds, but taking it in 2008. I did think Team USA would take it based off a better understanding of what was required, selfless play and more embracing that team style of ball. Like you said, they kinda abandoned all that and started slacking on the defensive and the shooting went south. With some tinkering and some more time, they'll get it right.

Lebron and Wade are great offensive players in the NBA ( especially the new NBA with no hand checks and zone)but there style of play struggles in more gritty defensive ruled FIBA play.

dudes like Chauncey, Bean, Truth can be physically defensive CLUTCH gaurds who can drain 3s from anywhere and control the tempo of the game would thrive on the international stage. And Chauncey plays on a squad that for the majority of it's time knew how to stop pick and roll.

As far as the team not being together as longer than others well that's why they asked for a 3 year commitment from the players and why some have already played international ball.

Salute to Melo though, if he can play well under these conditions then he should continue to improve.

Mister J said:
Ahh, look at the malcontent Laker fan. :cool:

You know, if my team blew a 3-1 lead in the first round, punctuated by the star player waving a white flag in the 3rd quarter of Game 7, I'd probably still be a little bitter too. :up:

ahahahah i got nothing to be bitter about ..i got 14 ships

yall got 1

bigheads for a summer...go right ahead

winningest franchise in history

i'll be humble about it :marv:

i love you too mister j

did i hit a nerve?

I was unaware that franchise history had anything to do the with the current state of the game. My bad for not knowing Mr. Clutch, Big Game James and Magic were still suiting up.

You hit no nerves here. I love the Wade/Heat snipes. It's usually what follows after a championship. :D

One time for George Mykin, Norm Nixon and Coop. :up:

the franchise history has no bearing on the state of the game unfortunately..i was merely rebutting the "bitter" part

which by the state of the game is a sad truth.....

but nice to see you too are a laker fan....:up:

p.s. its spelled MIKAN

in 2020 noone will remember who won last year

but tell you what they will remember 81!:D

man just another notch in history......

oh im sorry i got lost in legacy

carry on where were you saying ...oh yeah

USA losing to GREECE ..what GREECE!???

i thought we sent our BEST PLAYERS!????:eek:

DarthRekal said:
the franchise history has no bearing on the state of the game unfortunately..i was merely rebutting the "bitter" part

but nice to see you too are a laker fan....:up:

p.s. its spelled MIKAN

but tell you what they will remember 81!:D

i thought we sent our BEST PLAYERS!????:eek:

The unfortunate thing for Heat fans is that is the only championship they're going to receive.

Chicago or Detroit will be the ones to knock them out this year.

It's funny how Heat fans get the big ego over one championship, when they know it's tainted and will never be looked at as a respectable win. Charles Barkley, Hubie Brown, Tim Legler, and Bill Walton have all said that the Heat had the officials on their side and that Dallas was screwed over.

But Dallas isn't off the hook either. Losing a 2-0 advantage is no excuse either, but Wade getting to the line on touch fouls and Shaq throwing elbows with no consequence didn't help either.

I LOVED seeing Team USA lose. It exposed how overrated D-Wade, Melo, and the rest of the overpaid drama queens on the team are. Put Ben Wallace, Kobe, Chauncey, Garnett, Marion, Pierce, Bibby, and Artest on the same team and they'd be undefeated still.

DarthRekal said:

but nice to see you too are a laker fan....

p.s. its spelled MIKAN

but tell you what they will remember 81!

i thought we sent our BEST PLAYERS!????
You take the 81. I'll take the ring.

No one can deny the Lakers as the primo franchise in League history. Even the Celtics fan would have to bow down. However, I don't recall you touting that purple and gold history when you were trying to convince me that Mamba was gonna lead the Bryants past the Suns, Clips and give the Spurs a tough go in the WCF just because his name is Mamba. Seriously, when did the "my franchise is better than franchise" argument become fashionable. If knowing that your boys carry the most decorated pedigree in the game makes that first round collapse a little easier to swallow, more power to ya.

See you in 2020.

LastSunrise1981 said:
The unfortunate thing for Heat fans is that is the only championship they're going to receive.

It's funny how Heat fans get the big ego over one championship, when they know it's tainted and will never be looked at as a respectable win. Charles Barkley, Hubie Brown, Tim Legler, and Bill Walton have all said that the Heat had the officials on their side and that Dallas was screwed over.

But Dallas isn't off the hook either. Losing a 2-0 advantage is no excuse either, but Wade getting to the line on touch fouls and Shaq throwing elbows with no consequence didn't help either.

I LOVED seeing Team USA lose. It exposed how overrated D-Wade, Melo, and the rest of the overpaid drama queens on the team are. Put Ben Wallace, Kobe, Chauncey, Garnett, Marion, Pierce, Bibby, and Artest on the same team and they'd be undefeated still.
I heard plenty of commentary by those guys you mentioned and none of them said anything along the lines of the refs being on the Heat's side. They may have made reference to perceived bad calls, but they never spoke of some obvious favortism that fixed the games. The wonders of your conspiracy theories cease to amaze.

You understimate Godfather Stern's power. The way I understand it, he's already promised the Heatians a spot in the Conference Finals against Cleveland. This Team USA fiasco was a minor setback and he'll have to showcase "his" players in the spotlight even more to compensate. You should be more concerned with trying to elude his wrath. He may keep Dallas out of the playoffs altogether next year. :up:

Mister J said:
You take the 81. I'll take the ring.

No one can deny the Lakers as the primo franchise in League history. Even the Celtics fan would have to bow down. However, I don't recall you touting that purple and gold history when you were trying to convince me that Mamba was gonna lead the Bryants past the Suns, Clips and give the Spurs a tough go in the WCF just because his name is Mamba. Seriously, when did the "my franchise is better than franchise" argument become fashionable. If knowing that your boys carry the most decorated pedigree in the game makes that first round collapse a little easier to swallow, more power to ya.

See you in 2020.

i never said they would ..i was the lone skeptic sayin that they still had a tough road ahead against the suns.... i said mamba wouldnt let us lose to the clips even if he had to literally GUN them down... that i did say

it became fashionable when you tout ONE lone championship that you had HELP with...... to become the superior franchise.....

it does make it easier..cause i know when all is said and done..we've been crappy before..but eight out of ten year we've been at least pretty good....so rag on all all you want..it seenms its easier to rag on us than to tout your own ship...but thats common when it was a relief instead of an exhiliration.... see you when YOUR ARENA waves 14 banners...

oh no you wont ill be in the grave by then ...relish these next two yrs its all you got

truce mister j..you're right ima bit bitter but not cause yall won..cause we traded shaq to you for you to do it...

i apologize for the curtness..i just hate bashers and it a slef defense mechanism now when someone brigns up the heat....

relish your season its a beautiful thing to celebrate one...

dont let us haters get you down.....

i love my lakers im so passionate its a fault... i am blinded.....

It's all fun and games here; Never any ill feelings. I'd be pissed about the Shaq trade too. Hell, I was ticked when the Elton Brand thing fell through and that was way less in comparison.

OK, I have a fantasy football draft to go dominate. :cool:

LastSunrise1981 said:

You can put Melo off that diss list scrappy. He played like his life depended on it. Even in the loss he kept us close. Nevermind that bad shot in the 4th that doesnt overshadow that great tournament he had.

Anyways rank your top 5 teams in the west this up-coming season
1. Spurs
2. Mavs
3. Clippers
4. Suns
5. Rockets

I'd put Phoenix ahead of LA and Houston depends on Yao and Mac's health

NOFX said:
Anyways rank your top 5 teams in the west this up-coming season
1. Spurs
2. Mavs
3. Clippers
4. Suns
5. Rockets

sorry a little biased

1- Lakers
2- Lakers
3- Lakers
4- Lakers
5- Clippers

:up:

no honestly

1- Spurs
2- Mavs
3- Phoenix
4- NUggets(on papaer they should be good and i think they got a chip now)
5- Lakes and Clips by default... clips are better on paper and should be great with the experience they got now... but call me superstitious i think they Lakers( i have a hunch) will catch a wildfire streak this season (course its wishful thinking too but honestly i think we got a chip too)

edit i fergot about amare...a healthy AMARE and if he comes back the way he was...the suns leapfrog over EVERYBODY!

Spurs
Mavs
Nuggets
Suns
Clips

I was tempted to toss Houston in there, but McGrady's back and Yao's foot are iffy. I don't know what to expect from Memphis next year.

Mister J said:
Spurs
Mavs
Nuggets
Suns
Clips

I was tempted to toss Houston in there, but McGrady's back and Yao's foot are iffy. I don't know what to expect from Memphis next year.
How the hell are you going to put the nuggets ahead of the suns and Clips??? They pretty much have the same team they had last year! please explain...

Super_Ludacris said:
I'd put Phoenix ahead of LA and Houston depends on Yao and Mac's health
Im banking on the fact that we have Tim Tomas who was Clipper Killer last years playoffs. And Steve Nash is now a year older and Stoudamire still doesnt look like he's 100% Have we seen the best of Amare Stoudamire? Will have to wait and see...

Ah, the glory days of when the NBA had credibility and its big time stars weren't overpaid drama queens like Wade, Shaq, Melo, Amare, and Jermaine O'Neal.

God, I miss those days.

You know when games were actually decided by the players, not $tern or the officials. Hopefully one day the game will regain a sense of dignity and integrity instead of catering towards bandwagon fans and overpaid drama queens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahI7ohS5L-Y
(Reggie Miller)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKTLQOF-p18
(Pete Maravich aka "The Pistol")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IgiKlFAjls
(Buzzer Beaters)

NOFX said:
How the hell are you going to put the nuggets ahead of the suns and Clips??? They pretty much have the same team they had last year! please explain...
Damn. I didn't mean to put Denver ahead of Phoenix, but I still have them ahead of the Clips. I expect Anthony to continue to up his game, Nene will be back and I expect that team to respond further to Karl this year after their playoff implosion. I just don't sweat the Clips. Decent team, but I don't see them doing much more than last year. My money is on Tim Thomas returning to his usual act, now that he's not in a contract year.

Spurs
Mavs
Suns
Nuggets
Clips

Mister J said:
Damn. I didn't mean to put Denver ahead of Phoenix, but I still have them ahead of the Clips. I expect Anthony to continue to up his game, Nene will be back and I expect that team to respond further to Karl this year after their playoff implosion. I just don't sweat the Clips. Decent team, but I don't see them doing much more than last year. My money is on Tim Thomas returning to his usual act, now that he's not in a contract year.

Spurs
Mavs
Suns
Nuggets
Clips
I have no doubt Melo will have an awesome reg season but if he really wants his team to get anywhere, he needs to make his teammates better and they need to play defense! Two big "IF" But the nuggets do meet the Clips again, they will own the nuggets again! Just use same formula; Double team Melo when he has the ball, and make other players make jumpshot, last time I checked nuggets still have no decent shooters! Nene will help them but I just dont think thats enough to beat any of the top 4 west teams, Spurs, Mavs, Suns, and Clips.

Good points about the shooters. I don't know how much stock I'm willing to put in Julius Hodge to counter that. They looked ugly in the playoffs and at some point I expected them to run a more motion-oriented offense, taking advantage of Miller's passing proficiency. From what I remember, they employed a more deliberate style, allowing the double-team to gum up the works.

NOFX said:
Im banking on the fact that we have Tim Tomas who was Clipper Killer last years playoffs. And Steve Nash is now a year older and Stoudamire still doesnt look like he's 100% Have we seen the best of Amare Stoudamire? Will have to wait and see...

Tim Thomas only started playing well cause of Nash. How the hell are the clips gonna fit him in there frontcourt rotation with Brand and Maggette anyways

Super_Ludacris said:
Tim Thomas only started playing well cause of Nash. How the hell are the clips gonna fit him in there frontcourt rotation with Brand and Maggette anyways
Tim Thomas does well when he's not of the main options! He can be the Robert Horry for the Clippers. Another Vet that can hit big shots! Tim Thomas can play SF, PF, and even SC at times. He will probably be a backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"