Iron Fist Rate and Rank Iron Fist Season 1

I enjoyed this more then Luke Cage easily, solid 7. I'm not saying it's a better show, but the best parts were much more intriguing to me then anything in Cage. Absolutely loved the twisted Meacham's and Colleen stole every scene she was in. I didn't mind Finn at all but Danny was easily the poorest written character on the show, which is a criminal act considering the show is called Iron Fist. The fight scenes were mediocre, although in certain episodes the action definitely had it's moments. Nowhere near to the level of DD, which again is a sin for a show about IF.

1) DD S2 - 9
2) DD S1 - 9
3) JJ - 8.5
4) IF - 7
5) LC - 7

Last edited:
1. DD (season 2) ****1/2
2. Jessica Jones ****
3. Luke Cage ****
4. DD (season 1) ***1/2
5. Iron Fist **

Out of 5*****

I honestly enjoyed Iron Fist. Out of all the Netflix series i think i would have to put it in this sequence.

1. Daredevil S2
2. Daredevil S1
3. Jessica Jones S1
4. Luke Cage S1
5. Iron Fist S1

Is hard to compete with the other shows. Specially when danny seems to have all these emotional issues throughout the whole season.

8/10

A few points deducted for cringey dialogue and mediocre choreography (at the start) but at its best, it's right up there with DD and LC for me.

6/10

I read the criticism before it aired and that shocked me bc I saw the pilot and actualyl liked it. Thought the hate was overblown as the first couple of episodes were alright. This show is weird in that the other Netflix series got better as the season went on but this one got worse. It dragged and the plot and new characters introduced were not that interesting save Colleen. The show was just boring and I stuck with it to see it through the end as opposed to genuinely wanting to find out what was next

I never quite got IF from the books and was hoping this series would shed light on him but it didnt. I dont care for him any more than I did

Its a huge shame that they simply didn't play up the mystical kung fu dynamic here...
Rewatched it a few times... remains the same vibe... rehashed main villian in the hand... too much boardroom drama.. not great fight scenes.. it just never found its path... no tone... its a shame too because it had extreme potential and its like the showrunners diluted it down and didn't really push it anywhere challenging at all

IF wasn't as bad as its RT score. My main issues with it were the horrible fight scenes and Danny was badly cast.

Keep in mind what the RT score measures. The average score was 4.24. This means that people thought it was below average but not terrible. What's amazing is how consistent everyone felt about this. Only 17% of people would have given it at least a score of six, but that doesn't mean 83% thought it was bad, just less than a six out of ten. 17% doesn't mean they're giving it a 1 or 2 out of 10, just less than 6.

I gave it a 4.

It was horrible.

Im not even saying that I didnt like any of it, Im just saying that nothing on the show worked. The story was a mess. The fight scenes were rather lame. The acting ranged from nothing special to downright sad...

Ward Meachum was a good character. I think he lacked a bit of direction but he was a bright spot.

The stuff that didn't work, didn't work. And the stuff that did work, didn't assemble into a cohesive whole.

I think I'll give it somewhere between 7.5 and 8 out of 10.
I like Iron Fist, for the first half I thought it would be my favorite, but the second half made me question that decision. I'll rank the seasons as follow:

Daredevil season 2
Jessica Jones season 1
Iron Fist season 1
Daredevil season 1
Luke Cage season 1

I really want the Defenders to be my number 1, I didn't want to be disappointed by favoring shows based on the characters I personally enjoy less in comics, even though one of them is Luke Cage's wife.

I never read an Iron Fist comic, I only know him from some New Avengers comics and others. That said I liked this ok. The cast was pretty good imo and the whole Danny as a man-child angle was an interesting take held back by some very poor writing most of the time. Action and budget were a problem too. Overall not a complete disaster like the reviews led to believe.

4.5/10

The show was very slow to get going. The fight scene editing is probably some of the worst I've ever seen. This show made No Retreat,No Surrender look like Ip Man. I know it seems like the popular thing to say, but Rand was miscast.

Wing was good, the Meachums were decent.

Last edited:
Finally finished this. Gave it a 5. The show is really a mixed bag. Some parts are really good, whereas others drag the show down.

The good

Colleen Wing: Easily the best character on the show and the most believable fighter. Henwick brings her A-game, and at times I honestly wished Danny would be killed off or sidelined so we could just focus on her.

Ward and Joy Meachum: People have given this show flack for focusing too much on the corporate/family drama of the Meachums but I found these two to be engaging characters. Ward has perhaps the most interesting arc on the show, going from a Donald Trump. Jr.-type slimeball to an unhinged drug addict to a full blown psycho to ultimately a good person. Joy's character evolution isn't as interesting or dramatic but I feel like Jessica Stroup's sincere approach to the material really makes her character likeable. My only complaint is [BLACKOUT]her out-of-nowhere turn on Danny at the end. I could see her wanting to have Ward killed, but Danny? WTF?[/BLACKOUT]

Megan: "Who?" you're probably asking. Megan is the megahottie secretary at Rand. Forgive me for being a male pig here but GOOD LORD. She doesn't do very much but I found myself unable to take my eyes off her any time she was in a scene. I looked her up (her real name is Barrett Doss) and she's the female lead in Broadway's Groundhog Day, so she's got some chops. Marvel, bring this girl back in season 2 and give her more to do! Please.

The bad

Danny Rand: I tried; I really, really tried to like Finn. I gave him a lot of leeway here. But man, he just doesn't work. Maybe he'll grow into the character, but right now he leaves a LOT to be desired. He's very unconvincing in the fight scenes, as well as when he has to deliver lines like "I HAVE A VISION OF TOTAL VICTORY IN THE FACE OF DEFEAT!" or whatever. Now, granted, it's possible that NO actor on earth could make a line like that work but if there's one who can, it certainly isn't Finn Jones. But it's not all his fault. Obviously, the dialogue they give him is a problem but also his characterization is all over the place. One second he's this humble, chill Buddhist monk who seems totally at peace with everything, and the next minute, he's freaking out and attacking people who laugh at him like an ill-tempered child. They seemed to be trying to do this sort of Empire Strikes Back Luke Skywalker thing with him, in which he's close to being a master but is still immature and impetuous. That approach can work but given that he's already "the Iron Fist" it seems more like he should already be Return of the Jedi Luke instead.

The Hand: Okay, Marvel. Here's a newsflash. The Hand SUCK as main villains. They nearly ruined the second half of Daredevil season 2 and they DEFINITELY ruined a huge chunk of Iron Fist. Oh, and guess what! They're going to be back for The Defenders. Seriously, these guys make the Foot Clan seem interesting by comparison. And strangely, the only interesting member of the Hand (Madame Gao) is once again brushed aside for a less compelling villain (this time it's Bakuto... who annoyed me from the start but became even more irritating once I realized he was that stupid roommate character from Transformers 2). Marvel, take a hint. Let these guys go. You have so many better villains at your disposal. Use one of them.

Harold Meachum: I'm not sure why he didn't really work for me. It's a shame because I love David Wenham, but Harold just didn't make for a good "big bad", if you can even call him that. He mostly just sits around his penthouse moping. And the "epic battle" between Danny and Harold was pathetic. Danny and Colleen take out a fully armed team of DEA agents like it's nothing in the previous episode, yet Danny is running and hiding from a middle aged man with a handgun in the finale? WTF? Anyway, I don't blame Wenham for Harold's issues... it was just bad writing that brought the character down more than anything else.

Last edited:
The "final battle" feels like something that should have happened around episode 3-4, instead of as the final episode. And even then, it would have needed a bunch of touch ups. Which is a pity, I liked Harold Meachum, he was a great villain. He's just not a functional Kung Fu Final Boss, in the slightest, and didn't even have a good Dragon to serve as the physical heavy.

Finally got around to watch Iron Fist

I really do not understand the criticism it got. Sure, the show started off slow but the last 3 to 5 episodes really turned it around

My only real complaint is some of the fighting choreography but other than that I liked this a hell of a lot better than Jessica Jones. I would put Iron Fist on par with Luke Cage but thus far have a lot to go to reach the level of Daredevil

I hope for season 2 we actually get to see Danny in Iron Fist costume. Or maybe even sooner with the Defenders

To give context to my review, please note that:

1. I haven't read any reviews or even aware of the bad reviews before watching this show.

2. I did't know anything about Iron Fist other than he is supposed to be good at kung fu and will be part of the Defenders.

3. I was bored because I'm jobless and had plenty of time to binge watch all the Marvel Netflix series. I started with IF because its tone seemed lighter than the others and I really really like kung fu.

My Score: 5/10, because:
- All the fight scenes, especially Danny's, ranged from underwhelming to mediocre. I could not believe Danny is supposed to be someone who was trained for 15 years by mystical monks in a mystical place and fought a dragon to become a kung fu master. This is my introduction to Iron Fist the superhero.

- Danny's characterisation seemed all over the place. I think the show intends for me to see Danny as fish-out-of water, innocent and naive person. What I got was an angry, arrogant, selfish, spoiled, entitled moron. This is my introduction to Danny Rand the character.

- The plot/story and some dialogue were poorly written.

- Low production values are obvious.

- Acting could have been better.

Overall, it is the weakest of all the Marvel Netflix series so far. 5/10 for when Danny was being sweet and truly naive, Ward, Madam Gao and for still keeping me interested in Kun Lun even if I didn't really see any of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"