The Defenders Shorten future seasons?

I don't think this is the right comparison. Let's see Iron Fist season two and judge how ten seems. To me, it's case by case. They shouldn't write for a certain number, they should write their story and decide how long it'll take to tell.

They've said season 2 is 10 episodes?

The issue isn't the length of the season. The issue is the length of the story they want to tell. If they have a 3 episode story, tell that and then tell another story. Don't stretch it out into 8.

I think DD S1, S2 and JJ S1 were all strong 13 episodes in and out.

LC faltered toward the end and IF was a mess. I think Defenders was super solid, but even a couple more episodes could have been cool. Truth is, we just wouldn't know.

the problem to me is they stretch a a story ideal for 8-10 episodes into 13. Like JJ season 1 with Kilgrave. There could have been several episodes where Kilgrave was missing and we didn't know what he was up to. During that period Jessica could have dealt with something else. A single episode villain, a "monster of the week" type of thing.

He didn't have to be in every episode. Nor did she have to focus 100% on him in every episode.

I think Iron Fist should get absorbed by Luke Cage. The actor/character isn't great and really needs a guy to act off of. Plus it would toss Scott Buck off the project... hopefully.

Agreed

The issue isn't the length of the season. The issue is the length of the story they want to tell. If they have a 3 episode story, tell that and then tell another story. Don't stretch it out into 8.

Agreed. Even if they want to go with 13 episode seasons, they could break it up into several multi episode arcs per season, instead of doing crappy filler episodes for one storyline.

Agreed. Even if they want to go with 13 episode seasons, they could break it up into several multi episode arcs per season, instead of doing crappy filler episodes for one storyline.
didn't they try to do that with DD S2? look how that fell apart once the Punisher story line was over and the Elektra shennanigans started

Didn't they try to do that with DD S2? look how that fell apart once the Punisher story line was over and the Elektra shennanigans started
They did that since DD s1. The first half led up to the city destruction arc and the second-half was unraveling Fisk. Luke Cage did it when they swapped main villains. Even Iron Fist attempted multiple arcs.

They did that since DD s1. The first half led up to the city destruction arc and the second-half was unraveling Fisk. Luke Cage did it when they swapped main villains. Even Iron Fist attempted multiple arcs.
But with DD S1 the two arcs were so thematically interwoven in many aspects that it actually did work, the same with IF, where all of them felt like a part of the same narrative, whereas with S2 they were so different that they didn't work together at all (and the less is said about LC the better)
So the conclusion seems to be that whenever those "arcs" work, it is because there not so much arcs as different parts of an overarching plot like in DD S1, JJ (except a specific side story that gave the impression it was from a very different show) and IF, instead of a couple of plots bundled together just for the sake of filling an episode count (as in DD S2 and LC)

But with DD S1 the two arcs were so thematically interwoven in many aspects that it actually did work, the same with IF, where all of them felt like a part of the same narrative, whereas with S2 they were so different that they didn't work together at all (and the less is said about LC the better)
So the conclusion seems to be that whenever those "arcs" work, it is because there not so much arcs as different parts of an overarching plot like in DD S1, JJ (except a specific side story that gave the impression it was from a very different show) and IF, instead of a couple of plots bundled together just for the sake of filling an episode count (as in DD S2 and LC)

I don't distinctly recall JJ utilizing the arc approach, but yes "different [prolonged] parts of an overarching plot" in serialized stories is exactly what arcs are.

didn't they try to do that with DD S2? look how that fell apart once the Punisher story line was over and the Elektra shennanigans started

The Punisher story was never really "over". He showed up in later episodes after those first 4. The Elektra thing falling apart as you say just means they didn't do a good job with that particular story.

The Punisher story was never really "over". He showed up in later episodes after those first 4. The Elektra thing falling apart as you say just means they didn't do a good job with that particular story.

The Punisher's story wasn't over, but it was over as far as his beef with Daredevil was concerned. The later season stuff was about him resolving his family's murder.

I remember reading it somewhere, yeah.

I think what they actually have meant with those numbers is "By the end of this fiscal year, we'll have produced new seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Daredevil, and 10 of 13 episodes of Iron Fist season 2." LC and JJ are getting full 13 episode second seasons. Why should Daredevil and/or Iron Fist get shorter seasons?

A couple reasons. One, Netflix is moving towards a model of shorter seasons anyway and the first season could certainly have used fewer episodes. Also, if they get the same budget for fewer episodes, they can stretch their money further (unlike network shows, they don't need more episodes for more ads anyway).

I wouldn't want less then 8.

Episode count isn't the issue, it's locking in the episode count before you have a clear idea of what the story is. The episode count should serve the story, not the other way around.

Honestly I'd be fine if they just made Defenders movies. Netflix original movies.

But yeah the episode count was fine they just messed it all up with the pacing

I wouldn't want less then 8.

Episode count isn't the issue, it's locking in the episode count before you have a clear idea of what the story is. The episode count should serve the story, not the other way around.

I agree with that second point, but your two points are a bit in conflict, no?

I agree with that second point, but your two points are a bit in conflict, no?

A 5-6 episode season wouldn't bother me if the show is great, I just don't like the idea of a series being less then 8 eps, particularly one I can binge. If we ever did get that I think the wait between seasons should be shorter as well. In the UK they call 2/3 episode blocks 'series', but I would hope these showrunners could come up with something with a longer narrative, which frankly shouldn't be too difficult. Otherwise I'd rather they just ramp up the budget and make a film.

Last edited:
I've said it before, I'll say it again: they just need to be less allergic to "filler". Not every episode needs to be about the main plot, you can have episodes about self-contained stories interspersed. It allows the main plot to actually breath, while also allowing further development of the characters in ways the main plot doesn't necessarily facilitate.

I still contend that what they need isn't shorter seasons. Its more willingness to tell multiple stories. Jessica Jones only felt stretched because they were almost completely unwilling to have any non-arc episodes. Ditto for Luke Cage.

"Filler" is not a dirty word. Non-arc episodes give you room to breath, time to allow for character development and exploration, and a chance for variety.

This guy gets it. Filler sometimes is good.

Would they really shorten one show by three episodes and leave the other three at 13 episodes? No.

Maybe things will change, I have no idea, but that's what the article indicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"