Ridin’ with Biden

My wife cried a lot this weekend. She had to go back to work 12 weeks post partum. 12 weeks is not enough. As a parent of a child that did not give birth I got 4 weeks of paid leave, and I took another two weeks of unpaid leave.

And many people have it much worse. It's really unfortunate. And nobody cares. We're going to be really messed up in the future for it.

Last edited:
My wife cried a lot this weekend. She had to go back to work 12 weeks post partum. 12 weeks is not enough. As a parent of a child that did not give birth I got 4 weeks of paid leave, and I took another two weeks of unpaid leave.

And many people have it much worse. It's really unfortunate. And nobody cares. We're going to be really messed up in the future for it.
12 weeks is too soon especially if your infant has health issues. Twice that should be the minimum.

12 weeks is too soon especially if your infant has health issues. Twice that should be the minimum.
I agree.

Things that I had t realized before is that parental leave should probably start at 36 weeks (or around that) gestation rather than birth. She had a much harder time this time than last.

And though we didn't have twins, I think parents of twins should get more. I don't know if that's common anywhere.

Last edited:
I think that Lina Khan is my favourite Biden appointee. She's doing a lot of good.

I'll be very surprised if the tik tok ban has a meaningful effect on Biden's numbers either way.

Though I don't like free speech curtailment, the ban makes sense from an economic nationalism perspective, and notice how China has banned telegram, signal, etc. I don't think the USA could recover from outsourcing silicon valley.

The tiktok ban was more just to get the funding he needed for Ukraine, typical politics, give to get, more than likely this will go to he courts to deal with as i doubt the administration thinks there is an actual national security threat posed by the app, no more than any other, ultimately my feeling on it is people in congress have a problem with a Chinese owned company making money off americans and they want to control it, feel its less about national security and more about control and money

TikTok claims it’s not even majority owned by China or Chinese investment. Republican billionaire Jeffrey Yass is a big investor in the platform as well. These can be raised in court by the company if they’re true.

I'm surprised that our political class is having police and the national guard beat up students protesting, I think I may need to reevaluate some things. Among my concerns and self reflection, and these aren't meant to be in any order:

1) It seems like bad political strategy. Punishing the students validates their protests. Isn't that obvious? Maybe I'm confused? Given that our leaders have different priorities, they'd be better off (in terms of their position) ignoring the students.

2) A while back someone here posted a link, I forget who it was, by an intelligence community leader suggesting the Gaza crisis could radicalize people. I think I dismissed it. I think that our leaders don't dismiss it. If people start questioning official narratives on Israel and Palestine, they might question other things too. But clearly if students at Columbia are willing to be kicked out of their apartments for this, are willing to lose their semesters, I was wrong, there is a risk of radicalization.

3) It does seem noble that Americans are protesting out of empathy. At this point, almost none of us living here are personally affected by the war, people aren't protesting to avoid being drafted, etc. They're protesting purely out of empathy for people half a planet away. They're risking their entire futures, they could be blacklisted by employers, etc ... I think the students know this has the potential to destroy their future careers ... To cry out an injustice half the world away.

4) Another cost is this makes the USA look bad. The whole world knows what Washington would be saying if police in Tehran, Moscow, or Beijing were acting like this, I'd have thought that'd be a disincentive but I guess not.

Earlier today I wondered if Abbott, Cotton, Hawley etc are deliberately inflaming tensions to try and undermine Biden, but another part of me thinks they're too dumb for that kind of two dimensional chess move.

Earlier today I wondered if Abbott, Cotton, Hawley etc are deliberately inflaming tensions to try and undermine Biden, but another part of me thinks they're too dumb for that kind of two dimensional chess move.

I mean, its their same response to BLM protests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"