The Vice-President Joseph Biden Thread

Kenya, Egypt and South Africa????

How about someone from the US traveling to Sudan, Uganda or Democratic Republic of Congo?????

How about someone from the US traveling to Chad and Tanzania to see the IDP camps....?????

This is like traveling to Chicago to talk about the violence in the schools, and meeting in the most exclusive hotel and never visiting a teacher, school, etc....where the violence is happening....oh wait.....

I'd actually like to see Biden visit The Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Niger and Somalia. Just to see what happens there. The Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone and Liberia recently had violent civil wars, Somalia is unstable and Niger recently had a coup where the long term president was overthrown and taken over by the military.

Sierra Leone is actually doing quite well. Taylor is on trial right now at The Hague, they
still have a long way to go, but the RUF is not the threat that it once was, and no where near the threat that the LRA is in Sudan, Uganda, and Dem, Rep. of Congo. Also, the IDPs in Nigeria are no where near as bad as they are in Chad and Tanzania. There was a peace treaty signed in 2007 in Cote d'Ivoire that has held, with Taylor out of the picture, Liberia will strengthen as well. All of those countries because of Taylor's capture and trial are moving in a positive direction. Until Joseph Kony is captured in Northern Uganda, the countries I mentioned above are "at the moment" the worst off as far as civil war. As far as Somalia...as long as their government is following Sharia law for the most part, they will continue to have human rights problems. As far as Niger, IMO, Tandja was nothing more than a dictator, and he had already lost the backing of the ECOWAS and many of the bordering countries had stopped any kind of aid to the hunger problem in Niger, as of this month, they are setting up for their next elections.

Oy. I like Feingold. Biden keeps this up, he'll cost him the election.

Biden wasn't in the military, was he?

I just watched a video and he was saluted and he saluted back.....I've never seen that with a V.P. He isn't next in line in military matters he is the President of the Senate.

Biden wasn't in the military, was he?

I just watched a video and he was saluted and he saluted back.....I've never seen that with a V.P. He isn't next in line in military matters he is the President of the Senate.

No. He was an attorney, who was elected to county council, who then became a US Senator.

When it comes to saluting the VP, I could have sworn that Bush Sr., Gore, and Cheney had a similar interaction from time to time with military personnel when he was VP. Isn't it military tradition to salute the Vice-President as well?

Last edited:
Bush Sr. maybe, but he is a veteran. But, I have never in all of my years watching politics ever saw the VP saluted, or him salute back. I can see him being saluted possibly, but I do not think he is supposed to be saluting back. I could be wrong, but I don't think that is proper procedure.

Ok, found the protocol in Army Regulation 600-25, and the VP is not mentioned.

President of course, and Secretary of Defense, and then state governors by certain people.

Last edited:
Vice-President Cheney is saluted at West Point in 2007

cheneysaluted.jpg

Actually, they could be saluting the colors (flag), which is talked about in the protocol that I posted earlier, there is also a protocol of saluting during the official music being played etc....so to say that that picture proves they are saluting the VP, is a little hard to tell, since there is many things that they could actually be saluting at that time.... But really, my question more than anything else, is should the VP be saluting, and since he AS VP, is President of the Senate, and really nothing else unless the title of President is turned over to him, saluting is not something he should be doing. I'm just weird about protocol, in many things....posting of colors, flying the flag, etc.....I find those things interesting, and IMO should be taken very seriously.

Actually, they could be saluting the colors (flag), which is talked about in the protocol that I posted earlier, there is also a protocol of saluting during the official music being played etc....so to say that that picture proves they are saluting the VP, is a little hard to tell, since there is many things that they could actually be saluting at that time.... But really, my question more than anything else, is should the VP be saluting, and since he AS VP, is President of the Senate, and really nothing else unless the title of President is turned over to him, saluting is not something he should be doing. I'm just weird about protocol, in many things....posting of colors, flying the flag, etc.....I find those things interesting, and IMO should be taken very seriously.

The caption in the article for that picture specifically states the Cheney was being saluted.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18884452

Either way, I think it's a bit ridiculous to condemn a non-military member for saluting a serviceman or servicewoman. It happens all the time.

Well, that's your opinion...ok.

Also, I don't believe I ever used the word condemned or even alluded to that, nor was it meant to be a condemnation, I was simply questioning if it was correct or not.

Cheney is also a former Secretary of Defense. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not as I'm not familiar with military saluting protocol, but you did mention SecDef Kel.

Yes, the Secretary of Defense, and other certain people that are considered civilian, but work for the DOD...

This is a controversy?

Well, that's your opinion...ok.

Also, I don't believe I ever used the word condemned or even alluded to that, nor was it meant to be a condemnation, I was simply questioning if it was correct or not.

A salute to a service member is meant as a sign of respect to that service member...no matter who it comes from.

Never said it didn't, but IMO, the protocol is where the respect comes from, and following it shows respect to that protocol and knowledge of that protocol. He again, gave a semi-salute the other day, so I'm not sure that it is an actual salute, as much as it is a wave. But, honestly.....it was just a question, not an indictment.

This is a controversy?

No, not that I know of, I simply asked a question, I had no idea it would end up a thread title....:whatever:

No, not that I know of, I simply asked a question, I had no idea it would end up a thread title....:whatever:

We needed a new title anyway. :oldrazz:

The Vice President Joseph Biden Thread: 'Why am I out of the country so much' Edition.

The Vice President Joseph Biden Thread: 'Why am I out of the country so much' Edition.

I think that might be too long. The new title has the same effect though. :oldrazz::cwink:

why is it when I read that I hear Goofy in my head saying...."garsh, i had no idea that was wrong..." *big smile* and then he puts on his sun glasses and walks away, giving the media the finger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"