The Wolverine Rila Fukushima as Yukio

I know most of DOFP takes place outside of Origins

I don't even know what that means.

Teelie said:
but if you retcon it hard enough you can remove some of Origins from existing.

You mean if they're careless with their 1973 plotting it could contradict Origins in some way?

I mean that DOFP doesn't go back in time to when Origins occured. Or most of it at any rate given how far back Wolverine's history goes and how most of what DOFP is about is the future.

And yes, sort of. Since they are mucking around with time travel, you can retcon some things to never have happened.

She was great. As an actor and as a character, fit really well in this movie and stole half the scenes she was in.

I loved that it wasn't a stereotypical "strong female character", which can be translated to some feminazi fantasy of a heartless ***** kicking some testicles. She had personality, she had certain kindness in her. I cared about the character. Of course her action scenes were very good too.

Needless to say she's very beautiful too. Excellent casting right there. Both Yukio and Mariko felt like real people and I actually cared about them. Well done, Mangold & staff.

I thought that it's interesting that the movie version of Yukio is actually an improvement from the source material.Only one time that this happened before and that was with the movie Blade.

Logan is returning from Japan when magneto and Xavier meet him.

Why you ask, he and Yukio have aided Mariko on a mission.
Retrieving her kidnapped 15 month old son. The god son of Yukio her "sister" . Who happens to be the heir to the Yashisa fortune and the love child of ????

Make Omega Red or whomever the villain.

Start of a plot perhaps?.

I thought that it's interesting that the movie version of Yukio is actually an improvement from the source material.Only one time that this happened before and that was with the movie Blade.

Yeah except for the mutant angle. Did anyone actually watch the scene where she says she didn't see old man Yashida's death and not immediately realize he isn't dead? That was very meh to me.

I dont think they improved Yukio at ALL. She was played great, I like the actress. But she should have been dangerous and double crossy like in the comic.

I dont think they improved Yukio at ALL. She was played great, I like the actress. But she should have been dangerous and double crossy like in the comic.

She was poor in the comic, far too obvious and the whole "being in love with Logan" thing was such a cliche, glad they didnt go down that route in the film, massive improvement for me actually made her interesting and unique. But each to their own I guess. Adapting characters from a comic book is always a fine line to walk between staying true to the source material and trying to change things to improve them, cant please everyone I spose.

I can't think of Yukio being anything more than a success in the movie. Perfect casting too. The more I watch the film, the more I appreciate the choices made with her character. It's pretty magical when everything just clicks. Magical and natural at the same time. Very fun to watch. She alone makes the film worth watching at least once.

She was poor in the comic, far too obvious and the whole "being in love with Logan" thing was such a cliche, glad they didnt go down that route in the film, massive improvement for me actually made her interesting and unique. But each to their own I guess. Adapting characters from a comic book is always a fine line to walk between staying true to the source material and trying to change things to improve them, cant please everyone I spose.

As obvious as: "He's dead...I didn't foresee it" or did you believe Yashida was really dead? Or "I saw you die Logan!" Oh no if she saw him die that means he's gonna die utttt ohhh.

She wasn't really the same character at all. Just had the same name.

As obvious as: "He's dead...I didn't foresee it" or did you believe Yashida was really dead? Or "I saw you die Logan!" Oh no if she saw him die that means he's gonna die utttt ohhh.

She wasn't really the same character at all. Just had the same name.

Well yeah we can agree that she was deffinatley different to the comics, if it was better or not is up to interpretation of the individual I guess.

Yeah people are always wise after the event and once you know the "twist" everyone always claims its "obvious" and "they saw it coming a mile off" on re-runs.

But for me Yukio worked well in this and I hope she comes back:up:

I absolutely agree. I definitely think they improved the Yukio character from the comics. As you said, her being in love with Logan and then double-crossing him at the end is such a cliche plot point.

I kind of like Yukio in the comics, and I really like her dynamic with Storm. However, the whole "I'm attracted to you, but can't trust you" thing is quite overdone in comics. She's basically Wolverine version of Catwoman/Black Cat/Elektra/etc in the comics. The movie version was a lot more interesting and the actress was fantastic.

Well yeah we can agree that she was deffinatley different to the comics, if it was better or not is up to interpretation of the individual I guess.

Yeah people are always wise after the event and once you know the "twist" everyone always claims its "obvious" and "they saw it coming a mile off" on re-runs.

But for me Yukio worked well in this and I hope she comes back:up:

I loved this Yukio too and also hope she comes back. I'm just saying I would have liked more ambiguity. Rila kicked ass.

I loved this Yukio too and also hope she comes back. I'm just saying I would have liked more ambiguity. Rila kicked ass.

Cool. Im surprised that they didnt sort of do that angle and make you wonder which side she was on.

Interested to see what they do next with her.

if she's coming back. I'm assuming she is...if anyone.

Well there is a lot of ifs and buts at this stage, true. Depends on where Mangold decides to take it next and more importantly when.

I do hope she and Mariko do return in some way but cant assume anything in movie land.

I hope they both return. I think an element of Japan should stay in the solo Wolverine films from now on. Mostly because I think they can do a lot more with it. I'd like to see Logan speak some Japanese and know the customs etc.

If there's anyone that is gonna return from The Wolverine other Wolverine, its Mariko and Yukio. But we have to see first how DOFP will end.

I hope they both return. I think an element of Japan should stay in the solo Wolverine films from now on. Mostly because I think they can do a lot more with it. I'd like to see Logan speak some Japanese and know the customs etc.
And fight with a Katana, don't forget about that. I'd love to see Kitty in Wolverine 3. Kitty is a world class martial artist in the comics (which many writers tend to forget) so you could easily say that in the film series she got those skills in Japan.

Hugh Jackman could very well be only one to return.And this could very well be his last film as Wolverine.

You're definetly the only one thinking that. They're not rebooting this series with new actors any time soon. Everyone talks about this series as if they're coming back for more. I mean Anna Paquin and even James Marsden. He's asked about Cyvlops and he talks about the role as if its still going on. Other actors would say "I'm done with that role" but these people seem excited about the future.

seriously Trek 09 screwed with your head, this isn't the same thing as that. If Hugh is coming back for another Wolverine film, you honestly think a year later they will introduce like Karl Urban as Wolverine in an X-film? Come on. These are the X-Men of this franchise. Just because they use time travel doesnt mean peoples faces will start changing.

Last edited:
I hope Hugh can go on for a few more films yet, he's got better with the role with age, but even he has admitted its getting tough at his age getting into shape for each one and the time it takes away from his family he cant do it for too many more years but they just need to make em faster:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"