• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Logan Rotten or Fresh? The Rotten Tomatoes Thread for Logan! Snikt!

Reaction score
Discuss!

I don't know. But I am hoping this will be the first Wolverine movie to get a Certified Fresh Rating!:gngl:

Last edited:
It's still early, but if the trailer is any indication... Certified Fresh for sure.

It's still early, but if the trailer is any indication... Certified Fresh for sure.

I don't sure your optimsum.It will be lucky to get the wolverine like rating.

Logan is going to be dark and depressing film.I can see negative reviews like with apocalypse why can't fox make films with X-Men related characters having fun instead of being so dark.

Logan is going to be dark and depressing film.I can see negative reviews like with apocalypse why can't fox make films with X-Men related characters having fun instead of being so dark.

Except this is Wolverine, so a "darker" movie is warranted.

Except this is Wolverine, so a "darker" movie is warranted.
This.

Except the Wolverine played out like a darker superhero movie. This trailer is almost oscar bait.

And I can see the reviewers really appreciating this movie. ;)

I think after 17 years reviewers are up to speed on who and what Logan represents. If anything, Fox has neutered the character and failed to portray his incredible fighting prowess in all it's glory - full on Berserker Rage. Wolverine was a mediocre film based on a classic book, but we're finally getting an R-rated film for the character & a supposed send-off for Jackman's iconic portrayal. It seems to me that critics would be frothing at the mouth to dig into this hardcore and praise Jackman as he exit's the stage. Mangold has been with Logan from the start this time, so I'm expecting great things. :up:

Last edited:
I found 'The Wolverine' to be incredibly boring, so I can't say I have high expectations for 'Logan' after seeing the trailer. Deadpool was a big R-rated hit for Fox, and I think they are trying too hard to repeat that success. I don't see it happening.

I also just do not care about the Fox X-Men movies anymore. I think DOFP would have been a perfect way to tie things together and conclude that franchise, but it keeps going. And with the reboot talks, I find it hard to get invested.

I think it looks like it will be well-received, based purely on the trailer, but the critics will probably also criticise the timeline and continuity.

The mainstream critics probably won't realise we have a rebooted Caliban in it but they will likely be annoyed/confused by the timeline. As I said before, I tried talking about this film to someone at work and they just didn't get it, asking which Wolverine, when exactly it's set, where the other X-Men are, why Xavier has hair again, etc. I had enough of a job explaining to people why Wolverine met the X-Men earlier in XM:A than in the original trilogy.

Mangold replied to me on Twitter that 'all that matters is making the best film with the best people' but he's wrong on that when it comes to a movie within an existing franchise. I haven't argued the point, the reaction to the movie and its place in the timeline will speak for itself.

DOFP is the highest rated film of the franchise, and the timeline and continuity was all over the place. It doesn't even explain why Xavier is still alive, why wolverine has metal claws again, why Kitty Pryde can send people back in time, and why Trask is a short white dude in the 70's.

Yet DOFP was reviewed on it's own merits. What critics care about is the quality of a movie.

DOFP is the highest rated film of the franchise, and the timeline and continuity was all over the place. It doesn't even explain why Xavier is still alive, why wolverine has metal claws again, why Kitty Pryde can send people back in time, and why Trask is a short white dude in the 70's.

Yet DOFP was reviewed on it's own merits. What critics care about is the quality of a movie.

Well, that's true in many ways as far as critical reaction goes. But I think DoFP created a very good distraction from those things with its time-travel plot and Sentinels (both new to the franchise, at the time of X2 the idea of Sentinels was axed as too way out!!!!). Also, the addition of many of the Original Trilogy cast helped glue the story together and paper over the cracks.

But I don't think films can keep doing these continuity changes if they are supposed to exist within an established timeline alongside many other films (which are all issued together in box set). It's adding to a growing sense of fatigue with this franchise. There's enough anti-Fox sentiment as it is regarding the X-Men, and poor continuity is offering ammunition to the opponents.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-apocalypse-confusing-chronology-897957

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...signed-deadpool-defections-gambit-hold-945505

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-movies-what-they-need-win-back-audiences-945929

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-x-men-franchise-needs-898089

Also, critical response is not always a guarantee of good box office. You can't assume that because critics praise it, then it will be a smash hit. Just look at 127 Hours, Blade Runner, Seven Samurai and Letters from Iwo Jima.

In addition, the fan reaction to movies is far more vocal and widespread these days, because of the internet and all the various blogs and comic book movie websites, many of whose writers are also reviewers who contribute to RT ratings.

So I think filmmakers have to bear in mind mainstream fans and the geeky fans as well (if it's a comic book movie).

I disagree with Mangold's assertion that "ALL that matters" is making a good movie. That suggests anything can be changed, rebooted, rewritten, tossed out, from previous entries in the series and that no one will notice, or care.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing there is no anti-Fox sentiment, because there is some of that, but I did find it funny that you quoted four articles from the same website as proof. :woot:

I'm not arguing there is no anti-Fox sentiment, because there is some of that, but I did find it funny that you quoted four articles from the same website as proof. :woot:

LOL... Well, originally, I only went to find one article that was recently cited on here (the reboot one), but it had links to another and that had a 'read more' link to another, and so on. Together they are at least an indication of a weariness that is growing out there, especially if a Hollywood trade publication is saying all this.

I do think the timeline is messy and that it's wrong not to take the franchise as a whole into account.

Every project that is announced comes with a whole pile of question marks over its place in the franchise.

I'm hopeful. Really hopeful. I loved a good chunk of The Wolverine.

Given that The Wolverine at least has a 69 rating, if Mangold can take what worked there and take it up a notch, and the trailer looks to have done that- even though trailers can lie- it may get there.

I've seen people ask this. I just say "do you cut your hair and it just stays that way?

It would make sense that Xavier could grow some hair on his head if he had gone bald as a result of natural hair loss, but we learned in Apocolypse that he lost his hair due to external factors (honestly, I don't remember how exactly).

It's a nitpick that won't affect my enjoyment of the movie at all, but I hope Logan doesn't add any more serious continuity problems to the franchise than it has already.

It would make sense that Xavier could grow some hair on his head if he had gone bald as a result of natural hair loss, but we learned in Apocolypse that he lost his hair due to external factors (honestly, I don't remember how exactly).

It's a nitpick that won't affect my enjoyment of the movie at all, but I hope Logan doesn't add any more serious continuity problems to the franchise than it has already.

That shouldn't stop his hair from growing back.

And let's not pretend he's grown back a full head of hair. It's strands of hair very thin

Maybe James Mangold is just doing his best to forget Apocalypse ever happened, as most of us are.

Maybe James Mangold is just doing his best to forget Apocalypse ever happened, as most of us are.

This was in production long before Apocalypse was released and in the comics Scott's hair grew back too after Apocalypse possessed him. So James Mangold is ironically building off of Apocalypse. :funny:

Last edited:

ROARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

TmqmlhXVleIOQ.gif

It will have a better RT score than DOFP. Believe it.

I'd be ecstatic if that were the case - it'd be a tremendous triumph for Jim and Hugh. I'm just hoping this film can be mentioned in the same breath as his other great works like 3:10/Walk the Line. Seems like that could be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"