Apocalypse Certified Fresh or Fresh or Rotten? The ROTTEN TOMATOES Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ stuckman just put his very positive review on RT. Usually my opinions align with his.

if these reviews are to be believed, Apocalypse is more of the same.

I don't see how that's a bad thing, that's all that I want.

From reviews this is looking to be worse than X3 and Wolverine Origins... which I fail to see how that could legitimately be the case. The characters look to be treated with respect, the themes don't seem to be butchered, and it's not an awfully rendered Sunday morning cartoon (Origins).

Wow it's good to see the RT score going back up slowly.

I don't see how that's a bad thing, that's all that I want.

If you've been pleased with the X-men films so far, then maybe you'll be pleased. I'm someone who is tired of the formulaic adherence to the same ideas and themes so the thought of sitting through another X-men film that hits all the same beats does nothing to really excite me.

If you've been pleased with the X-men films so far, then maybe you'll be pleased. I'm someone who is tired of the formulaic adherence to the same ideas and themes so the thought of sitting through another X-men film that hits all the same beats does nothing to really excite me.

I would definitely like a fresh approach in many areas of this franchise...

But I think it's probably a bit foolish to expect something radically different from X-Men: Apocalypse because it still has Singer as director (and he has his specific vision, traits and techniques), plus it is supposed to complete the First Class trilogy and the stories of Magneto, Xavier and Mystique.

I'd much rather something dynamically new, but it looks like we are getting more of Xavier being kidnapped, Stryker's Alkali Lake, Magneto's dominance, even a repeat of X1 dialogue, more bridges being destroyed and missiles being stopped mid-air.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm ready for something a bit more fresh as long as storytelling and emotional depth are not sacrificed.

I've been complaining about that formula for a while now. I agree.

Would I like seeing the material take an exciting new direction? Yes. However, I'd believe that would make it deserve a 7 or 8 out of 10, like comingsoon and IGN have been giving it - not the atrocious reviews that it has been getting which mostly seems to stem from it "being the same." While I haven't seen it, I just don't know how it can possibly trash the material like X-Men 3 did or offer a ridiculously Sunday morning cartoon like Origins did. As long as it's entertaining, fun, and true to the source material without trashing it like X-Men 3 and Origins did I'll probably enjoy it. From the onset I wasn't expecting new, just more of the same and I like the same here - would I want more? Yeah, but I also knew it wasn't a radical departure like First Class and Deadpool nor was it ever marketed to be.

I take the Robert Downey Junior approach, in an interview once he said he's not really that critical - that as long as there's something in there that's enjoyable, then it's a good time and that's something I really agree with. If it entertains me, while I might not say it's the best ever, I'll at least be happy for the enjoyment of escapism. So here? Yeah, if it's like all previous X-Men films except X3 and Origins, then I'll like it because I enjoyed those and while I would like more - I would say that's far from an end all be all to me.

Last edited:
Dont worry guys, anyone saying this movie is on the level of X: Origins Wolverine is absolute hyperbole. That movie was complete, offensive garbage. This movie is definitely not that without question.

Gonna be honest even Origins and Last Stand the two worst of the franchise, storytelling wise they're horrible with some dumb decisions but I could always sit and watch them if I wanted to. Origins anyway I don't really but if I'm doing a marathon I always watch Last Stand. And I roll my eyes at the bits that bug me but overall I can still watch it and enjoy it for what it is. Is it great definitely no. But I also don't think it is the worst movie. It's not Catwoman, Batman and Robin bad thankfully.

Maybe others are tired of the formula for X-Men and yes we need a new fresh approach with I think is going to happen. So this being the one last time approach to Singers style then I'm gonna love it and it's gonna close out the movies like X-Men, X2, First Class and DoFP.

I have a question...

How come RT gave a critical consensus with only about 40 reviews in? what if we get nothing but positive reviews onwards?

Can the critical consensus change?

I've seen the movie, and surely is not a DOFP but I'd give it an 8... I found it even more interesting than The Wolverine.

The one thing that the movie lacked?

Jane Goldman.

We missed you girl.

I have a question...

How come RT gave a critical consensus with only about 40 reviews in? what if we get nothing but positive reviews onwards?

I don't know, I think they should have waited until at least 80 reviews were in.

There isn't going to be nothing but positive reviews from here on out. They have changed the consensus before, it's not a set in stone thing.

I have a question...

They have changed it, but after about 50 reviews you usually get an idea. Rarely you get something like Ant-Man that climbed a whopping 11% (69 to 80) after the consensus first appeared.

kinda crazy how much it has gone up when i first checked on monday it was 43% now its at 51% with 24 positive/22 negative

But in the context of that review, that's just a minor, throwaway example to show that this franchise is still doing nothing new. The reviewer does not have a problem with the way they access their powers, it's just that he's saying we've seen this all happen before. And he's right.

I see what you mean you mean in general, not those instances particularly. I'll see the movie for myself before going off some reviews/critics I may feel differently than them. I honestly don't think the movie is that bad as people are making it out to be. Yes there are some things in unhappy with about the franchise and I do agree some changes need to be made fast.

Last edited:
52%! Keep climbing, will you.

Yasssss 52! (Unfortunately it has a 22 with top critics but we'll ignore that for now)

Just to add:

Just to add.

IMDB review:

BvS = 7.1/10

X-men: Apocalypse = 8.3/10

Captain America: Civil War = 8.5/10

I'm shocked by this. I was definitely expecting something in the 75-82% range. Still, early days yet. Singer hasn't had a misfire yet....

Yeah, not a good time to trust IMDB.

Or ever trust IMDB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"