House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 3 "Second of His Name"

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
7XwiwyH.png

They've been dropping a ton of promo stills for this episode! Looks really exciting - War in the Stepstones AND a visit to Castlery Rock! Gonna be meeting a lot of new faces!

It's a shame that Rhaenyra's courtship is probably going to be limited to just this episode and we'll only really see the Lannister Twins compete for her hand. That storyline was a perfect chance to visit Raventree Hall and set up the Blackwood/Bracken feud that becomes a big deal down the road. But I guess we can't cover ALL the bases if we want the Dance to start by the end of the season. Can't wait to meet House Blackwood, though.

It would be cool to get Matthew Lewis as Sam Blackwood. Add another Potter-alum to Westeros.

Last edited:
Man Greg Yaitanes needs to direct more episodes cause that was by far the best episode of the season (so far) really felt like a classic GOT episode

Yeah, the Daemon plot was the strongest in an already good episode.

One thing struck me as funny though. Tyland and Jason Lannister are played by the same actor who played Ser Hugh of the Vale waaaaaay back in GOT S1. I thought he looked familiar, I looked it up and sure enough...

jefferson-hall-c6462ad.jpg

thought-we-wouldnt-notice-but-we-did-robert-downey-jr.gif

Wow I was not expecting the pacing of this episode after that opening, but damn I really want more of this if that means we can get this much great character development.

Once again Paddy Considine and Milly Alcock really shined in their scenes during this episode, especially during the Lannister interactions which were all gold IMO.

I also appreciated that despite the little screentime we got with him Daemon was still pretty awesome in this episode although I definitely wish we got more of The Crab Feeder.

It felt like they were building him up as something bigger.

Yeah, the Daemon plot was the strongest in an already good episode.

One thing struck me as funny though. Tyland and Jason Lannister are played by the same actor who played Ser Hugh of the Vale waaaaaay back in GOT S1. I thought he looked familiar, I looked it up and sure enough...

jefferson-hall-c6462ad.jpg

thought-we-wouldnt-notice-but-we-did-robert-downey-jr.gif
Got past me, lol. :p

Very strong episode - both the action in the Stepstones and the character work in the Kingswood were incredible. Daemon, Rhaenyra and Viserys continue to dominate (understandably) but they've done a really great job of setting up the other big players. Highlights:
  • The subtle introductions of new players who don't have a big role yet - Tyland Lannister being concerned with matters of the the Realm while his twin is focused on trying to get betrothed to Rhaenyra. Larys Strong inserting himself into the women's circle and paying close attention to all their gossip. That stuff is great.
  • Alicent finally pushing back - even slightly - against her father's schemes is great to see how she still loves Rhaenyra and wants to be friends again despite everything. Plus her scene with Viserys at the end showing she has been learning and is in fact a good queen/intelligent ruler.
  • All of the Viserys and Rhaenyra moments. They've done a great job at fleshing out that complicated dynamic. And holy cow, Paddy's acting was ON FIRE this episode. Start that Emmy campaign NOW!
  • Laenor on Seasmoke. They're already doing great work to make up for how dirty they did Renly and Loras on GOT. Showing his confidence in the war council, coming up with the winning plan and then soaring in on Seasmoke, all Top Gun-style. Loved seeing a dragonrider just freaking stoked to be flying and raining down hellfire on the enemy.
  • Lyonel Strong - I LOVE how they've portrayed him. He's only gotten two major scenes and has effortlessly made himself one of the most likable and trustworthy characters. Fans are going to really love a certain scene I expect to happen soon - likely the end of next episode.

When the arrow pierced Daemon's shoulder Caraxes reacted like he was in pain, but before the arrow hit Daemon he seemed indifferent about the arrows. Makes me wonder if they're going to establish that there is a magical empathic bond between dragons and their Targaryen riders.

A Targaryen king stabbing a tied up stag (Baratheon) with a lannister spear. That seems like symbolism.

Lyonel Strong deserves to be Hand.

I like Laenor. Too bad it looks like Otto is going to destroy that potential marriage in next week's episode.

I hope we get a successful show about House Velaryon.

I notice in the preview for next week Daemon cuts his hair off. Thank the gods. The long hair looked better this week all tangled and dirty. If they had him braid his long hair in some sort of viking style and adorn it with some bands or gold it might look better, but the clean loose straight-ironed look in episodes 1 and 2 was terrible on Matt Smith.

Shout out to the wild boar... i'm sure it's from the same family that "took out" King Rob.

That thing yeeted Cole like a sack of potatoes.

Any idea what the scandal is in next week's episode? Based on the preview it seems to be a sex scandal, but with who?

Rhaenyra and Viserys
Rhaenyra and Daemon
Rhaenyra and Alicent

Rhaenyra says its a vile accusation and one of those 3 would be considered vile to some degree in their culure.

If Otto is behind the rumor then I think its about Daemon. That would help the Hightower's the most. But I dont think Rhaenyra at this point would consider an affair with Daemon to be vile. She's a Targaryen and he is her uncle which is an acceptable match in her family. But she may consider Daemon a vile person at this point which could make the idea of being with him seem vile. Or she could just be pretending to be disgusted.

If Daemon is behind the rumor then its probably about Rhaenyra and Visery's to stir up trouble with the Hightowers and the Sept.

Edit: On second thought, Daemon starting a rumor that he is sleeping with Rhaenyra could destroy her courtship with Laenor. That would help Daemon if he wants to have her for himself.

If the rumor is about Alicent and Rhaenyra having an affair that doesnt help Otto at all, and it would only help Daemon if it made Viserys paranoid of both his wife and daughter. This seems the least likely possibility.

Last edited:
I am not enjoying the time jumps. 6 months is one thing. 2 years is a big ****ing problem. It is one thing to have a time skip, but to have one every episode is a big problem. 2 years, a new Targaryen is born, with another soon to be born. 2 years of a war that just was hinted at at the end of the last episode. So much story potential just flushed down in their goal to get to the Dance.

We are just supposed to think Rhaenyra has been skulking for 2 years. No amount of dialogue explainers they tossed in makes it make sense. I am generally enjoying these characters, and the actors portraying them, but the time skips are making things frustrating in actually telling a coherent story. This isn't a damn clipshow. And the time skips are absolutely going to bite them in the ass when they lose Milly Alcock and Emily Carey.

The showrunners are treating time like Benioff and Weiss treated distance.

Oh well, purple dragon was cool. And the Velaryon wig remains great. 5 Woody Harrelsons out of 5.

I am not enjoying the time jumps. 6 months is one thing. 2 years is a big ****ing problem. It is one thing to have a time skip, but to have one every episode is a big problem. 2 years, a new Targaryen is born, with another soon to be born. 2 years of a war that just was hinted at at the end of the last episode. So much story potential just flushed down in their goal to get to the Dance.

We are just supposed to think Rhaenyra has been skulking for 2 years. No amount of dialogue explainers they tossed in makes it make sense. I am generally enjoying these characters, and the actors portraying them, but the time skips are making things frustrating in actually telling a coherent story. This isn't a damn clipshow. And the time skips are absolutely going to bite them in the ass when they lose Milly Alcock and Emily Carey.

The showrunners are treating time like Benioff and Weiss treated distance.

Oh well, purple dragon was cool. And the Velaryon wig remains great. 5 Woody Harrelsons out of 5.

I feel same way about the time jumps i was expecting an immediate reaction to the Alicent engagement by all involved The Valaryons and Rhaenyra. Or reaction to her pregnancy. A royal wedding I mean a lot of things could have filled a couple of episodes enjoying this cast and we will lose some to the time jumps and 3 yrs of a war ? And all the build up to crab feeder and not one line.

Hope Darcy and Cooke csn live up to what the younger actresses are doing!

Having said that the show is mint

That thing yeeted Cole like a sack of potatoes.

Any idea what the scandal is in next week's episode? Based on the preview it seems to be a sex scandal, but with who?

Rhaenyra and Viserys
Rhaenyra and Daemon
Rhaenyra and Alicent

Rhaenyra says its a vile accusation and one of those 3 would be considered vile to some degree in their culure.

If Otto is behind the rumor then I think its about Daemon. That would help the Hightower's the most. But I dont think Rhaenyra at this point would consider an affair with Daemon to be vile. She's a Targaryen and he is her uncle which is an acceptable match in her family. But she may consider Daemon a vile person at this point which could make the idea of being with him seem vile. Or she could just be pretending to be disgusted.

If Daemon is behind the rumor then its probably about Rhaenyra and Visery's to stir up trouble with the Hightowers and the Sept.

Edit: On second thought, Daemon starting a rumor that he is sleeping with Rhaenyra could destroy her courtship with Laenor. That would help Daemon if he wants to have her for himself.

If the rumor is about Alicent and Rhaenyra having an affair that doesnt help Otto at all, and it would only help Daemon if it made Viserys paranoid of both his wife and daughter. This seems the least likely possibility.
Next week is gonna be the first big reveal of something the book left a mystery. I can run down the basics in tags - but the fun part is even book-readers have no clue how it will actually play out:

Daemon and Viserys have another falling out. Two opposing accounts are given in F&B towards what actually happened.

- The septon claims that Rhaenyra willingly hooked up with Daemon and they were discovered.
- Mushroom claims Daemon was "teaching" Rhaenyra how to seduce men so that she could hook up with Ser Criston, who, in Mushroom's account, spurned her.

My theory, drawing on what comes next.:
We see in the trailer they're back in the brothels. I think Rhaenyra is going to come to Daemon and request he help her learn how to seduce a man, so he takes her to Myseria. Now, whether or not this is actually to seduce Ser Criston or a pretense on Rhaenyra's part because Daemon is the husband she wants to choose, Otto will get word of it and frame Daemon as seducing Rhaenyra.

He'll get exiled but, when Otto tries to use this as an excuse to supplant Rhaenyra, he'll get fired as Hand.

When the arrow pierced Daemon's shoulder Caraxes reacted like he was in pain, but before the arrow hit Daemon he seemed indifferent about the arrows. Makes me wonder if they're going to establish that there is a magical empathic bond between dragons and their Targaryen riders.

A Targaryen king stabbing a tied up stag (Baratheon) with a lannister spear. That seems like symbolism.

Lyonel Strong deserves to be Hand.

I like Laenor. Too bad it looks like Otto is going to destroy that potential marriage in next week's episode.

I hope we get a successful show about House Velaryon.

I notice in the preview for next week Daemon cuts his hair off. Thank the gods. The long hair looked better this week all tangled and dirty. If they had him braid his long hair in some sort of viking style and adorn it with some bands or gold it might look better, but the clean loose straight-ironed look in episodes 1 and 2 was terrible on Matt Smith.
I concur with the dragon empathy thing. I caught that as well and to me it makes sense. A bond between dragon and rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"