Season 2, Episode 11: "Truth and Consequences"

This was a freaking great episode. I mean round 2 of Jordan vs Bizarro Jonathan was epic. I really like this episode and the theme of secrets and how they can harm and protect a family or individual. Clark revealing his secret ID was a long time coming and I loved how Tyler played with the struggle in his facial reactions. Honestly pretty great episode and one of my favorites of the season.

(Also the fact that Lana remained utterly clueless right up until the reveal — even though she had just performed intimate, life saving “surgery” on Supes.)

After Superman brought Lana home (landing with enough force to pulverize her brain inside her skull, but physics works differently in comics than in real life), and Lana was all concerned about the Kents and for Clark in particular, I thought Lana was strongly hinting that she knew Superman’s secret identity and was giving him yet another oppportunity to be up front about it. I have doubts about that now, after the way the episode ended, but maybe Lana wasn’t so much stunned by the revelation on the road as she was ticked off by Clark’s evasion at her home.

...I really like this episode and the theme of secrets and how they can harm and protect a family or individual. Clark revealing his secret ID was a long time coming...

The burden of keeping secrets was certainly a recurrent theme in this episode. But, for instance, Jordan’s motivation for coming clean seemed more about reviving his relationship with Sarah. So when he enthusiastically agreed (with the rest of the family) that Lana should be told about Clark’s identity, was he thinking that Lana would, in turn, tell Sarah — thus solving his romantic troubles?

After Superman brought Lana home (landing with enough force to pulverize her brain inside her skull, but physics works differently in comics than in real life), and Lana was all concerned about the Kents and for Clark in particular, I thought Lana was strongly hinting that she knew Superman’s secret identity and was giving him yet another opportunity to be up front about it. I have doubts about that now, after the way the episode ended, but maybe Lana wasn’t so much stunned by the revelation on the road as she was ticked off by Clark’s evasion at her home.

Of course, the famous Superman “disguise” always requires the willing suspension of disbelief. But if the implausibility is blatantly highlighted (as in this episode), it puts an extra strain on the “willing” part. :word: Your notion that Lana might have known Clark’s secret all along (but kept this to herself) would have, I think, added an interesting layer to her character. And under that scenario, there might have been a fun twist on the “dramatic reveal.” I.e., Lana could have confessed to Superman — perhaps when she was struggling to save his life — that she knew his identity. But the series has never even hinted at this possibility. So this pivotal episode was forced to follow the prior, established continuity. Alas.

The burden of keeping secrets was certainly a recurrent theme in this episode. But, for instance, Jordan’s motivation for coming clean seemed more about reviving his relationship with Sarah. So when he enthusiastically agreed (with the rest of the family) that Lana should be told about Clark’s identity, was he thinking that Lana would, in turn, tell Sarah — thus solving his romantic troubles?
That’s a good question actually. Maybe selfishly that’s why he agreed or he really felt like this would be good for the family but imo it’s probably both.

Your notion that Lana might have known Clark’s secret all along (but kept this to herself) would have, I think, added an interesting layer to her character. And under that scenario, there might have been a fun twist on the “dramatic reveal.” I.e., Lana could have confessed to Superman — perhaps when she was struggling to save his life — that she knew his identity. But the series has never even hinted at this possibility. So this pivotal episode was forced to follow the prior, established continuity. Alas.

I thought the show was hinting at that back in 1x10 (“O Mother, Where Art Thou?”), when Lana was about to become Lara’s avatar:
When Superman called Lana by name ("You're the hero right now, Lana."), the way her old boyfriend used to, her face changed. Either she realized just then, or in that moment she was no longer able to pretend she didn't recognize him.

Like you say, it would’ve been neat if Lana had been the one to confess the secret. Imagine Clark suddenly learning that he’d already been vulnerable for a long time, and that Lana had kept his secret without him even knowing that it was out.

That’s a good question actually. Maybe selfishly that’s why he agreed or he really felt like this would be good for the family but imo it’s probably both.
I imagine that Jordan and Jonathan have not fully come to terms with how the big revelation in 1x01 turned their whole sense of identity upside-down. Learning, as teenagers, that they’re half-alien — and that they always have been, regardless of how they viewed themselves before — that would be a lot to process. “Secret” is always going to be a bit of a bad word to them.

I imagine that Jordan and Jonathan have not fully come to terms with how the big revelation in 1x01 turned their whole sense of identity upside-down. Learning, as teenagers, that they’re half-alien — and that they always have been, regardless of how they viewed themselves before — that would be a lot to process. “Secret” is always going to be a bit of a bad word to them.
True.

David Ramsey did another good job with directing for this series with this past episode. Bring him back for more I say and can’t wait for Diggle to make an appearance sometime before the season ends.

With this one episode alone, Jordan and Jonathan went from being endearing characters to just insufferable to watch. It was like watching the worst of Iris, Felicity, and SV Lana all at once.

Good, they addressed the time discrepancy.

Good episode. I did like how they are playing into the lying aspect of the secret this episode. I imagine their friends were not quite as involved in some of the danger in Metropolis as they seem to be in Smallville. I liked Lois's talk with Sarah.

This show is a ray of sunshine in a sky darkened by superhero shows and movies that aren't particularly good.

This one episode of S & M managed to have better character development and a more plausible story than the entirety of the Dr Strange movie - which was mildly entertaining, but dumb as a bag of rocks.

The focus is where it should be, on Superman and not on Smallville local elections.

Once again Jordan was the MVP, kind of cathartic for him getting to beat the crap out of Bizarro Jon.

All in all, another good episode - high fives all around.

Great episode. The ending of it did make me wish this was the early years of Superman though with Clark revealing his identity to Lois for the first time.

So if Clark has told Lana, then will Jordan tell Sara? Or will she put two and two together and figure out or at least speculate that perhaps Jordan has powers too?

And what's to stop Lana thinking now that maybe Bizarro Jonathan was the real Jonathan all along since it would make sense that Superman's son would have powers too? Jonathan could've just been going through a rebellious phase like many teens do.

So if Clark has told Lana, then will Jordan tell Sara?

For the next several episodes, Lana is going to be projecting a "Leave My Kids Out Of This" field that even Jordan's mighty power to ignore common sense won't be able to overcome.
And what's to stop Lana thinking now that maybe Bizarro Jonathan was the real Jonathan all along since it would make sense that Superman's son would have powers too? Jonathan could've just been going through a rebellious phase like many teens do.

Lana may mistrust Clark and Jonathan now, but her super-powered doppelganger is looking for her. Lana doesn't have reason to be suspicious of John Henry, and they'll exchange more smiles while he's guarding her.

This episode felt like an eh. A bit too much of the classic ways of taking Superman out of the game. But that ending. It was both brilliant, and a bit hilarious. I loved the idea that Clark took off his glasses, then flew, but didn't think it was enough. So he hit her with the ice breath.

Also, Clark got luck no one drove by. :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"