Season 2, Episode 2: "The Ties That Bind" (SPOILERS)

This version of Doomsday is from a different dimension or universe? That's a neat hook, even if it does feel like they're going to the "alternate earth/dimension" well a bit too often.

The DCAU Justice League series began with Superman having incapacitating visions -- sent as a warning by the Martian Manhunter -- of an alien menace. I wonder if the version of J'onn J'onzz from Doomsday's dimension is the source of the visions in this show.

Clark basically got Loki'd in this episode.

e90d14fdef50947da76b5130c7fa3fa5.gif

Also, the idea of Lucy being in a cult definitely- whether intentional or not- feels like a shot at Allison Mack. If her time in the cult changed her at all, that could be a workaround to avoid talking about Lucy's time in National City. Not that I expect any references to Supergirl, but still.

Todd Helbing confirmed that this isn’t the same Lucy that was in Supergirl because of Crisis.

I really enjoy this episode, but Jonathan get the short end again makes me a little sad. It will be interesting to see if they push him to Andersons Super Soldier Program or have something else for him in mind. I like the brother dynamic between him and Jordan.

Sithborg nailed that it was a girl. :up:

To be fair, I wasn't the first one to vocalize Sarah's development.

Fairly low key episode, which is more than fine with me, as I just love all the character dynamics.

I need more of Natalie being around the boys. The little bit we've gotten makes me want more. I love the "No you don't" at the breakfast.

It was good seeing Lara, and her trying to acknowledge both her sons. Good seeing Jordan give Tal a bit of a fight, even if he lost at the end. And Clark's reaction to Tal man handling his son I think goes to show why Death of Superman will hit differently than what we've seen in the past. Superman having more to loose makes that decision to go all out much more powerful. Also, more seeds for Tal's face turn for the Reign of the Supermen.

Welcome back Tag. Sadly, you joined Team Red Shirt. So, good luck when Doomsday finally gets out. I don't like your chances.

Jon is totally going to start huffing X-K.

Glad the pointless delay of Lana running for mayor is over. Yeah, it was always going to be Lana, didn't need to waste 2 episodes over it.

I really, really wish they had mixed things up a bit with the cult story. Hedging too close to the real story is going to be very uncomfortable.

Tal-Rho could either die or become the Eradicator once more, shades and all.

• Setting up for Lucy's return sooner than later (I wonder if what happened to her was post Supergirl season 1?)

It wasn't post Supergirl season 1. It's instead of Supergirl season 1. Her back story has now been changed because of Crisis.

Clark basically got Loki'd in this episode.

e90d14fdef50947da76b5130c7fa3fa5.gif

Also, the idea of Lucy being in a cult definitely- whether intentional or not- feels like a shot at Allison Mack. If her time in the cult changed her at all, that could be a workaround to avoid talking about Lucy's time in National City. Not that I expect any references to Supergirl, but still.

I don't think this Lucy has spent any time in National City or even been part of the DEO.

And really, Tal-Rho is definitely the kind of guy to embrace the "Last Son of Krypton" nickname that the Eradicator had in Reign.

While I am glad we are seeing Doomsday in his containment suit, I am disappointed that both arms are free. I want him to massacre the super soldiers on handed.

Thought that episode was way better than the first one. Tyler really shone for me too, I loved him in protective Dad mode and the fear & vulnerability of the kitchen scene.

Loved seeing Ta'l Rho again. And Tag Harris. Lots of possibilities and things coming together.

Enjoying the Cushings side plot too actually. Especially happily surprised that Kyle suggested Lana be mayor. Though the more I like him, the more I worry they'll kill him off :funny:

The shady outline of doomsday so far... not loving it...

But I reserve judgement. Besides... I can roll my eyes and shrug off a bad villain when the Superman/Clark is so good :hrt:

Just in case if anyone wasn't already aware, Allie Allston served as the new version of Parasite in the comics. She would later be recruited by Lex to join his Secret Society of Supervillains.

-Laraaaaa! I love everything about the Tal-Rho/Lara/Clark/Jordan scenes. Definitely the highlight of the episode for me. It was great to get Lara's side of the story and clarification that she did not even know of Tal-Rho's existence 'til pretty late in the game. And of course I expect Clark to take her Sunstone to his fortress eventually.

-Also loved that I got my wish/prediction from last season that Lana would be the one running for mayor. This is a good storyline for her, imo. :up:

-Yep, Sarah/Natalie is totally happening.

-Small thing, but I love how the show makes an effort to highlight the heroism of regular people - in this instance, the guy in the mine who blew the charges and sacrificed himself to stop (presumably) Doomsday. I always say the key to a good Superman story is that the "Inspiration" aspect is a two-way street: Yes, Superman inspires us, but we also inspire him. That's a big part of the Superman mythos. In order to convey that, you can't portray the whole world of humans as a miserable rabble of hateful, jaded misanthropes who just need saving. You've gotta show the good. This show gets that and makes a point to do so on a regular basis, and I love it.

Saaaaame. They even named the cult chick Ally?? This could get very awkward very fast. :nrv:

Recognize the actress? I'm sure you do, but just in case you don't...

iu

Gotta say, I feel jilted after spending so much time on Jordan/Sarah last year, feels like a waste now. Also was hoping we would eventually get a triangle with Johnathan and them sooner or later.

It wasn't post Supergirl season 1. It's instead of Supergirl season 1. Her back story has now been changed because of Crisis.

I don't think this Lucy has spent any time in National City or even been part of the DEO.

Exactly. Like I wouldn't be surprised if this is like, say, the Disney+ version of Kingpin where yeah, it's the same actor, but probably not the same version of the character that we've seen before.

Was just rewatching and discovered I totally spaced on the last line the first time. The shady lady told the mystery baddie on the other line, "You were right, something came through."

Came through what?!?! Did Doomsday come from the same place Natalie's ship came through from? Another portal to another world/dimension? Helbing did mention that a lot of people's questions about the show's Arrowverse connections would be answered this season, so I feel like this is still some multiverse shenanigans somehow.

Was just rewatching and discovered I totally spaced on the last line the first time. The shady lady told the mystery baddie on the other line, "You were right, something came through."

Came through what?!?! Did Doomsday come from the same place Natalie's ship came through from? Another portal to another world/dimension? Helbing did mention that a lot of people's questions about the show's Arrowverse connections would be answered this season, so I feel like this is still some multiverse shenanigans somehow.

yea doomsday as possibly multiversal weapon or organism is interesting. maybe overthinking it though. theres definitely got to be a portal tho.

the mining guy blowing the mines definitely reminded me of set els friend doing the same in krypton. that was a great scene tho. great soundtrack accompanying it too. may have been intentional reference as krypton writers are on this show too(1 or 2) but probably not I suppose

Since this show likes to put their own spin on Superman's mythology, what if "Doomsday" is actually the evil Superman from John's world? It would easily explain on why our Superman is sharing visions with him.

Since this show likes to put their own spin on Superman's mythology, what if "Doomsday" is actually the evil Superman from John's world? It would easily explain on why our Superman is sharing visions with him.
I have considered this. I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but that containment suit was awfully puffy if he was the one wearing it, lol.

I have considered this. I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but that containment suit was awfully puffy if he was the one wearing it, lol.

They could always say that John's Superman was eventually captured and tested on before he was sent to Earth Prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"