Spider-Man 3 or Batman v Superman

Kahran Ramsus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this discussion came up in another thread, I think it would be better to move it here and get a poll going as well to see what the board thinks.

Both of these films faced a lot of criticism and were considered massive letdowns after a ton of hype. So what do you like better? Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 or Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?

For me it is easily Spider-Man 3, which while certainly flawed and guilty of trying to jampack too much into its run-time still has a lot of good moments in it. It is more mediocre than outright terrible. BvS, meanwhile, is a complete misfire from start to finish.

Personally, I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a better comparison for BvS, but Spider-Man 3 is the one people seem to want to discuss.

For me it is easily Spider-Man 3, which while certainly flawed and guilty of trying to jampack too much into its run-time still has a lot of good moments in it. It is more mediocre than outright terrible. BvS, meanwhile, is a complete misfire from start to finish.

Personally, I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a better comparison for BvS, but Spider-Man 3 is the one people seem to want to discuss.

If I had to choose which to watch , I'd say SM3.

While I still don't think its a very good film, it was at least a hoot to watch in a packed theater back in 2007, especially with audience reactions to the more campy moments.

I also think ASM2 is the better comparison for BvS as well, but everyone seems to want to talk about SM3.

Maybe its because ASM 2 isn't as controversial a fan subject as SM3 is.

I also think the ASM films in general have been sort of swept under the rug for now given that they've been overshadowed by Maguire and Holland's films.

BvS stomps. But since this site really hates it, SM3 is going to win.

Atleast BvS had

- Affleck's performance

- good action scenes

- great cinematography

- Hans Zimmer's score

- the plot is a bit fixed with the Extended Cut

- Diana's introduction >>> Venom.

These are all redeeming qualities even if you don’t like the film tbh. I liked it and it's more like on par with the massively overrated SM2 than SM3 for me.

It's obviously just opinions but here are my two cents:
Atleast BvS had

- Affleck's performance
Affleck was pretty wooden and one-dimensional for the most part. The few instances were he tried to show emotion the scenes felt over-the-top. The infamous "Martha", and "absolute certainty" scenes had pretty bad acting.
- good action scenes
Other than the warehouse scene and maybe the beginning in Metropolis, most action scenes were either notoriously disappointing or just bland, with the final one being a bloated cgi slugfest that felt like it lasted way more than it should.
- great cinematography
Again, going to the final fight. That constant orange tint was an eyesore and you could barely make out what was happening at moments. Yes, there were very pretty shots in the film, Snyder is definitely good with visuals, but the colours were for the most part either dull or extremely bright and painful to watch.
- Hans Zimmer's score
Wonder Woman's theme was fantastic but other than a couple of more tracks I struggle to remember much from the movie. It was mostly usual Junkie XL stuff that was nowhere near the level of Man of Steel.
- the plot is a bit fixed with the Extended Cut
It's still a mess.
- Diana's introduction >>> Venom.
Certainly can't argue with that.
These are all redeeming qualities even if you don’t like the film tbh. I liked it and it's more like on par with the massively overrated SM2 than SM3 for me.
One can find redeeming qualities in Spider-Man 3, as well. The score is inferior to Elfman's but still pretty good, Thomas Haden Church makes a decent Sandman, the humour landed in many instances with J.K. Simmons being fantastic as always as Jameson and Bruce Campbell having his best cameo in the trilogy. The cast was quite solid, the black suit looked dope and there was far more connection to the characters than in BvS, granted mostly due to the previous two entries.

Yes, there were many cringy moments but at least that movie embraced the camp, whereas Batman v Superman was a pretentious and sloppy fast-tracked flick that thought it was The Dark Knight Trilogy meets the MCU, while in reality managing to spectacularly fail at being either, something that led to studio panic, which finally resulted to the Justice League mess we all know.

I mean for me personally it isn't that close, because I really don't like SM3, but I know its more well liked on here than BvS. Even with all its flaws I'd much rather watch BvS, especially if its the Ultimate Edition. I can at least really appreciate the scenes with Batfleck, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Hans Zimmer's and Junkie XL's score and Zack Snyder's unique, visual style, but the movie is still far from perfect.

Since this discussion came up in another thread, I think it would be better to move it here and get a poll going as well to see what the board thinks.

Both of these films faced a lot of criticism and were considered massive letdowns after a ton of hype. So what do you like better? Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 or Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?

This is a really tough call. Both of these had plenty going for them but with some glaring flaws. The biggest weakness of each was trying to shoehorn in characters who really didn't fit the stories while taking away valuable time from the main narratives. This is actually a very good pair of films for comparison, Kahran.

First, this is a very worthy comparison.

SM3 has some absolutely terrible moments and feels both overloaded and disappointing at the same time. However it also has a decent resolution to its main conflict and its love triangle.
The fights are entertaining - especially the penthouse brawl. Finally, evil disco strutting Peter is f@#%ing hilarious.
I just skip the awful singing of Kirsten Dunst, the dreadful dancing scene and the final minute , because that's a lame way to end any film, much less a Spider Man trilogy.

Then there's B v S which has arguably the most laughably awful scene in cbm history and managed to make me not care at all about my 2 favorite superheroes. This film isn't just a misfire, it's a crime against the fans. Yes the Batman warehouse fight scene is awesome and totally Miller's Batman. But that's undermined by Batman being a homicidal dumbass in other scenes.

Spider Man 3 makes me want to press fast forward in a few bits, but B v S makes me want to turn off the TV.

It's obviously just opinions but here are my two cents:

Affleck was pretty wooden and one-dimensional for the most part. The few instances were he tried to show emotion the scenes felt over-the-top. The infamous "Martha", and "absolute certainty" scenes had pretty bad acting.

Other than the warehouse scene and maybe the beginning in Metropolis, most action scenes were either notoriously disappointing or just bland, with the final one being a bloated cgi slugfest that felt like it lasted way more than it should.

Again, going to the final fight. That constant orange tint was an eyesore and you could barely make out what was happening at moments. Yes, there were very pretty shots in the film, Snyder is definitely good with visuals, but the colours were for the most part either dull or extremely bright and painful to watch.

Wonder Woman's theme was fantastic but other than a couple of more tracks I struggle to remember much from the movie. It was mostly usual Junkie XL stuff that was nowhere near the level of Man of Steel.

It's still a mess.

Certainly can't argue with that.

One can find redeeming qualities in Spider-Man 3, as well. The score is inferior to Elfman's but still pretty good, Thomas Haden Church makes a decent Sandman, the humour landed in many instances with J.K. Simmons being fantastic as always as Jameson and Bruce Campbell having his best cameo in the trilogy. The cast was quite solid, the black suit looked dope and there was far more connection to the characters than in BvS, granted mostly due to the previous two entries.

Yes, there were many cringy moments but at least that movie embraced the camp, whereas Batman v Superman was a pretentious and sloppy fast-tracked flick that thought it was The Dark Knight Trilogy meets the MCU, while in reality managing to spectacularly fail at being either, something that led to studio panic, which finally resulted to the Justice League mess we all know.

Affleck wasn't bad, his fights and acting was ok and he give a pragmatic approach to the character.

Yeah those two scenes are better than ANY action scene in SM3. Don't forget the good scene about trinity vs DD due to lightning, cinematography and soundtrack.

no, they weren't. Just google BvS cinematography (can't link now) and see how the space was portryaed, the heavt vision scene etc. Spider-Man 3 had NONE.

it wasn't as good but it was still a good soundtrack.

Watch the extended cut, and there's no cohesion to anything in SM3, it's terrible writing-wise and much more than BvS. Jonah is at his weakest (the memes are from the 1st and 2nd film) and has less screentime. Sandman was > Luthor? Probably but he was still average and there's Venom and Harry which are laughable villains.

Just my two cents here.

I might be exaggerating in this, but so much footage of Spider-Man 3 was released before showing the movie in theaters I think I almost watched half the movie, in my anticipation it was the best Spider-Man movie to date for me, but then I saw the full movie on Youtube on its first month and felt disappointed. Saw the movie a second time on DVD and was still disappointed with it, but I really enjoyed the game tie-in on PS2.
On third view? I really loved the movie, loved it ever since, and it stood as one of my favorite Spider-Man movies since then.

I've been a huge fan of Superman and Batman since I was a child, they were close to my heart, tied as my second favorite superheroes after webhead, reading old comics of theirs and enjoying them greatly, watching movies of them fondly, watching cartoons like Super Friends, it was so amazing to see superheroes together in one series, and that happened close to a decade before we got the animated Justice League series succeeding B:TAS and Superman:TAS. I've wanted to see the two best superhero friends in comics publication in fully realized live action since I was a child.

I admit loving Man of Steel, I still love the movie despite its weaknesses, it's like the first Mortal Kombat movie to me in that regard. I was excited for Batman V Superman... the end result is Mortal Kombat Annihilation, one hour longer, pretentious, lacks the so bad it's hilarious flavor that makes me still love to watch that second Mortal Kombat movie, it was just that dreadful experience that annoyed me so much.

I decided to watch the Ultimate Cut, found it to be the worse of the two versions I watched but with better editing, thought it was a mistake. Some folks told me the added scenes in the UC of BvS add more character and value to the story and I watched it again... it's worse than the theatrical cut, added scenes are of zero value to the story and are just time wasting footage that don't even make sense on their own.
At least it left me feeling empty instead of frustrated.

So I love Spider-Man 3 as both film and the game tie-ins (sans the NDS game). I don't want to watch BvS ever again.
Spider-Man 3 is better by a hundred miles.

I'd agree TASM 2 VS BVS is a better comparison. I may give BVS that one but I haven't re-watched ASM 2 since seeing it in the theater.
TASM 2 is not a nightmare that punched me after 25 or so years of waiting for it to be realized, and at least has fun superheroics and people reaction montage. BvS loses both fronts with absolute ease for me.

I'm not going to be the one starting that discussion this time, but it will probably be a funnier poll than pitting it against Catwoman.

Good God, can BvS beat anything? :doh:

It's gotten to the point where I think it might struggle with taking on Steel.

I adore it and will always stand by it in discussion or thread vote against another film from another studio.

I am one of those rare people who actually likes both. But the UC of BvS just gets better with time for me. Where as the last time I watched Spidey 3 I did find myself getting bored a good bit.

It’s a super difficult one but i votes SM3 only by because I think it’s better by a hair’s breadth

As well it should. Steel didn't passionately hate the concept of heroism, and wasn't nihilistically cynical.

Quality of execution *cannot help* a movie whose fundamental problem is not a matter of execution, but of concept. Better execution of a bad concept makes for a *worse* movie, not a better one.

I sense another poll incoming... :funny:

Anyway, I don't like Spider-Man 3 but I'd watch it again over BvS. Tobey gets annoying in his third outing but I still like him as Peter Parker overall. And Thomas Haden Church does what he can in kind of a nothing role. I really don't have anything good to say about BvS.

I love Spider-Man 3. Its worst bits are my favourite bits. I enjoy the editor's cut immensely, though it's not so different that non-fans would be won over.

BvS is a turd. It's a unique turd; an interesting shape and texture that can look quite appealing in the right lighting, at the right angle. But a turd it remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"