Spider-Man 3 or Batman v Superman

BvS is a turd. It's a unique turd; an interesting shape and texture that can look quite appealing in the right lighting, at the right angle. But a turd it remains.
enA1IJy.gif

Spider-Man 3 isn't bad. It's mediocre. BvS while a trainwreck that can be interesting to look at, is still painful to watch and is a cynical, misguided nightmare that brings nothing but misery. For making a Superman movie miserable alone makes it inherently worse compared to SM3.

SM3, some bits like the soap opera are just more of air than painful. Raimi can still pull convincing and strong performances out of the bad writing. But the more extreme stuff are still very entertaining. There's a reason why dancing Peter has become a meme. It's endearing in its own way and it comes from the mind of filmmaker who made it his own despite not having much enthusiasm for the symbiote concept.

Give me dancing Peter any day over Murder Man and Captain Hypocrite. At least dancing emo Peter is in character.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 3 because it is actually a good movie. Yeah, not as good as the prior 2 and had issues, but still is a good movie.

Dancing Peter worked for me in the montage. The jazz club scene less so. The jazz scene is more jarring totally, which is why it doesn't work for me.. But the montages, it is kind of perfect. Dancing Peter is supposed to be cringe. He is supposed to be what a dork would think someone cool acts like. The symbiote is supposed to make us like Peter less. I get some wanted them to make Peter super edgy and cool, but I see Raimi's point in that if we love Peter when he has the suit on, then the desired effect is not being achieved. We should want Peter to take it off.

Also, that scene where Peter goes to the church is fantastic. Even how Raimi foreshadows it with the "If you want forgiveness, get religion" line. Wonderful writing to then have him doing just that. Plus, the atmosphere and score of that scene is also basically perfect. Also, black suit Spider-Man is probably my favorite on screen Spider-Man costume. It is so simple, but looks amazing.

Yeah, SM3 has dumb Butler stuff and the shifting focus of the story doesn't work. But for me, there is a lot of good in the film. I much prefer it to TASM.

Dancing Peter worked for me in the montage. The jazz club scene less so. The jazz scene is more jarring totally, which is why it doesn't work for me.. But the montages, it is kind of perfect. Dancing Peter is supposed to be cringe. He is supposed to be what a dork would think someone cool acts like. The symbiote is supposed to make us like Peter less. I get some wanted them to make Peter super edgy and cool, but I see Raimi's point in that if we love Peter when he has the suit on, then the desired effect is not being achieved. We should want Peter to take it off.

I think this is the fundamental reason some people respond with visceral hatred to Spider-Man 3. They don't see anything wrong with dark edgy Spider-man, so it comes off to them as offensive, or even directly mocking them. Which, hey, points for honesty: Raimi *absolutely* was mocking them. He was explicitly saying "Venom sucks, and embracing edgy amoral violence doesn't make you cool, it makes you a dweeb".

Haven’t seen it in years, so I won’t vote now, but I’m pretty certain I’d vote for SM3.

Spider-Man 3. I find it genuinely funny a lot of the time. It's not Batman and Robin, but it's a lot more enjoyable then BvS, which stands as one of, if not the worst superhero flicks for me.

BvS, god forgive me. Spidey 3 is not even "flawed but ok". Can't think of one element that stands out as "good" even on a limbo, like Affleck's Batman, and it poops on everything that was endearing about SM1 and 2. BvS is a missed shot that makes you chuckle, SM3 is a missed shot if the basketball bounced off and went splat on a lovely wedding cake.

Spider-Man 3.

Personally, the first action scene between Peter and Harry in the street is better than final action scene in Batman vs Superman. I think it has more tense than the hollow final of B v S.

Spider-Man 3 and it's not even close. it's a good movie, just not as great as the first 2 films. The action still hold up incredibly well as do the emotional moments. BVS, on the other hand, is pretty much a disaster in my eyes.

As well it should. Steel didn't passionately hate the concept of heroism, and wasn't nihilistically cynical.

Quality of execution *cannot help* a movie whose fundamental problem is not a matter of execution, but of concept. Better execution of a bad concept makes for a *worse* movie, not a better one.

Fully agreed. I actively dislike BVS.

Also, that scene where Peter goes to the church is fantastic. Even how Raimi foreshadows it with the "If you want forgiveness, get religion" line. Wonderful writing to then have him doing just that. Plus, the atmosphere and score of that scene is also basically perfect. Also, black suit Spider-Man is probably my favorite on screen Spider-Man costume. It is so simple, but looks amazing.

Yeah, SM3 has dumb Butler stuff and the shifting focus of the story doesn't work. But for me, there is a lot of good in the film. I much prefer it to TASM.

Yep, SM3 is still a child of Raimi. Came out weird and flawed, but still has those amazing genes within.

Spider-Man 3 is a disappointment. A colossal disappointment. But it still is entertaining.

BVS is a slog to get through.

I watched about 2/3 of Spiderman 3 recently after a long time of not watching it.

I would say SM3 gets its reputation at about the point when Peter and MJ break up at the bridge, and everything following after.

Before that moment ,the film is more mediocre to meh.

Once the central park break up scene happens ,the film just begins to unravel and it crashes in spectacular fashion.

Its like from that moment on, a switch is pulled ,and the whole plot and film goes into a sideways, then downwards.

I actually think its the latter half of the film people tend to remember and complain about the most, i.e., The horrid dance sequences, emo Peter, the weak version of Venom, The melodrama of the Peter and MJ relationship, The jazz music Peter and Harry fight in Osborn Manor etc.

When fans and critics talk about Spiderman 3 , it's that half of the film people tend to remember, which is one of the reasons why the film has the reputation it does.

Had the rest of the film been like the first half, I suspect the film probably would have just been considered okay, or an underwhelming entry in the series.

I think most of the action scenes in Spider-Man 3 outclass the BvS ones.

Warehouse scene and Trinity vs Doomsday?

BvS gets tooo much hate, the UC is actually a good film and it got a better performance from the leading role.

That warehouse scene in BVS literally does nothing for me. meanwhile the action in S-M3 still holds up super well.

Not a fan of Punisher Batman.

Oh, and also: I’ve only seen the Ultimate Edition of DOJ, and it’s not great. In fact: one of the biggest sins it commits is being boring as ****. It’s borderline tedious to sit through and has nothing to say about anything.

Yes better than those, too. One of Raimi's biggest strengths was bringing the Spidey action scenes to life.

they aren’t imo. Warehouse had great choreographic and was dynamic.

anyways, SM3 is garbage for me meanwhile I like BvS: Extended Cut.

I would say yes on both accounts that SM3 has better action scenes than those 2 in BvS.

I would disagree. The cinematography and special effects were pretty good in the ending fight and so was Wonder Woman introduction. SM3 action was a bit step down from SM1 and SM2, and the last fight is completely nonsensical and rushed, of course in my opinion.

But BvS is so hated unlike MoS, which is appreciated for good action scenes I think.

I would disagree. The cinematography and special effects were pretty good in the ending fight and so was Wonder Woman introduction. SM3 action was a bit step down from SM1 and SM2, and the last fight is completely nonsensical and rushed, of course in my opinion.

But BvS is so hated unlike MoS, which is appreciated for good action scenes I think.

The action on SM3 was better than SM1, but a step down from SM2. But you are free to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"