Animation Spider-Man: Freshman Year

Sooooo....is this still canon to the main MCU or has this evolved into it's own thing now lol?

I dont see how this can fit with the MCU timeline. You could always make another character Scorpion, but how would he not recognize Ock in NWH, even if he isn't HIS Ock?

Seems Multiverse-y. Can’t imagine Peter wouldn’t have remembered fighting a version of Doc Ock by the time Raimi’s Doc Ock dropped in.

Sounds like this has evolved into its own thing. Which means, I'm more interested and onboard with it. Love the art style, I just hope the animation matched.

I don't have a source for this but someone on reddit says in this show Norman is Peter's mentor instead of Tony and there's a version of the Civil War scene with Norman. I'd like to see this info verified first so don't hold me to it lol though but if it is true it seems intriguing.

Well, I don't really like the sound of that, if true.

Yeah, so it seems like it's a new Spider-Man cartoon that is inspired by the MCU but doesn't take place in it.
I'll probably just consider it the next entry in the line-up of '67-'81/Amazing Friends-'94-Unlimited-TNAS-Spectacular-Ultimate-2017-Freshman Year.

Fingers crossed they’ve got Michael Mando voicing Scorpion.

Daredevil isn't the only hero Peter will be coming across it seems

Finally found something. So it seems like it might be true

It's its own thing for sure.

I guess for there to truly be any sort of Holland/ MCU " Spiderman Freshman Year" show, Sony would have to be on board , and would have a say in Holland's Spiderman's origins.

It now makes sense as to why Holland isn't involved .
This truly is a different universe with no connection to the Watts trilogy.

Also seems to be done truth in regards to the inclusion of the Slingers, at least in regards to alternate costumes anyway.

Last edited:
It’s better it isn’t tied to the main canon. It opens up more creatively for the show.

This is all very intriguing...

Would've been cool if they included Jessica Jones somewhere in here too. Wasn't she and Peter classmates in the comics?

Interest is much higher now, the less tethered to the MCU the better. It's nice it seems like they're taking some inspiration from it as a springboard naturally since it's so influential at this point yet trying to do their own thing and also pay tribute to the feel of the original comics. Love the Leo Romero designs, they have the right blend of retro-meets-modern. I like how a lot of the villain designs retain classic comic aesthetics with a hint of practicality, it's a good mix. I like how Strange looks incredibly Ditko-esque, barely a hint of the movies whatsoever. Even the one pose on the model sheet was taken from a pinup.

Osborn as teenage Spidey's mentor is cooler to me than Stark lol. I like how Osborn straight up is wearing the same looking green suit he did all the time in the late '90s, specifically around the Identity Crisis period. Speaking of Identity Crisis, it's exciting to see them making their animated debut here (Ricochet isn't pictured, though). I'm gonna guess they're part of his development, finding his voice as a hero, which would be a fun way to present them. Then who's to say the suits don't get reappropriated by others down the line? That seems like a fitting kind of Spidey situation. Good to see DD's gonna show up, too. Hasn't been in a cartoon since the '90s.

It honestly looks like it should be a loveletter to classic Spidey with also taking into consideration the more recent big-screen ventures, yet not totally being indebted to it. They also said the golden words, that they're fans of Spectacular and took inspiration from it.

If it was meant to be 100% canon, Spidey didn't seem like he knew any Osborn's in NWH, Oscorp didn't exist, he didn't know an Octavius, he didn't fight any supervillains before Homecoming. How were they gonna make a show where he don't fight any villains? You probably could take it like MTV Spidey, canon if you want it to be but the movie's themselves sure aren't gonna reciprocate the feelings.

They also announced it's already got a 2nd season in development called Sophomore Year. I imagine they're gonna get to go the full way to Senior Year, in that case. Basically could be charting the entire "alternate" MCU-esque high school Spidey adventures.

How were they gonna make a show where he don't fight any villains?
My assumption back when this was first announced that he wasn't going to fight supervillains but deal with street level villains like The Enforcers, Hammerhead, Tombstone, etc...

My assumption back when this was first announced that he wasn't going to fight supervillains but deal with street level villains like The Enforcers, Hammerhead, Tombstone, etc...
Same, I love me the gang villains but there's only so far you can go with that especially if you're trying to make a show that's intended to be more than a miniseries. As much as I'd like to see focus on exclusively on the street-crime corner I don't ever see them solely focusing an entire show on villains like that especially when his rogues gallery in general is so colorful and varied.

Same, I love me the gang villains but there's only so far you can go with that especially if you're trying to make a show that's intended to be more than a miniseries. As much as I'd like to see focus on exclusively on the street-crime corner I don't ever see them solely focusing an entire show on villains like that especially when his rogues gallery in general is so colorful and varied.

Well that's the other thing lol.
When this show was first announced, I had assumed based on the initial synopsis, I only saw it as a miniseries. Since you could only explore so much until you hit Civil War and Homecoming, so with a 1 and done show, I think you could get away with lesser street/mob villains.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:
They did that already with Spectacular Spider-Man

I would have preferred it WAS tied to the MCU. I will still watch this, but interest a bit lower

Definitely each to their own but I think having TO MANY things attached to the MCU continuity is...a dangerous place to go. I think they made the right decision to do a classic Spidey series that isn't tied to the film-verse.

Norman Osborn concept art:

FYTrjcOUIAEMVTc

Looks like Norman will be black in this series.

Definitely each to their own but I think having TO MANY things attached to the MCU continuity is...a dangerous place to go. I think they made the right decision to do a classic Spidey series that isn't tied to the film-verse.

But it IS tied to it. It is like a What If episode as a show. Same type of universe, but what if we subbed out Tony for Norman. They are trying to have their cake and eat it too. It won't please anyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"