Animation Spider-Man: Freshman Year

Polygon Pictures, the animation studio behind Star Wars Resistance, Transformers Prime and Transformers Robots in Disguise, has been announced at the animation studio for this.

Do with it as you will.

I dont really care about this show at all.

I dont really care about this show at all.
I cared when it was a prequel to Homecoming. I stopped caring when it decided to do its own thing, which defeated the point of everything.
Don't get me wrong. It can work. I think Gotham (a flawed show even on its best day) would have struggled entirely if it couldn't have dipped into Batman villains that shouldn't exist yet. But I also just don't see the point of drawing from the MCU while not making something the MCU.

I cared when it was a prequel to Homecoming. I stopped caring when it decided to do its own thing, which defeated the point of everything.
Don't get me wrong. It can work. I think Gotham (a flawed show even on its best day) would have struggled entirely if it couldn't have dipped into Batman villains that shouldn't exist yet. But I also just don't see the point of drawing from the MCU while not making something the MCU.

I think there is a way to tell a pre-Civil War Spidey show that didn't focus on his main super villain rogues gallery that could have been both unique and entertaining.

But I agree what they're doing now is just a half measure. They're trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want to make a Spidey show that's in the MCU but not really.

Last edited:
Yeah, this show is essentially an episode of What If only focused on 1 universe for an entire season. Which doesn't appeal to me at all

I think the way this show has been marketed from day 1 waffling on what it actually is has been hurting it for many rather than just saying "it's not actually an MCU Spidey prequel series it's more of an MCU-inspired alternate take"

Not very excited about Polygon Pictures animating it which means it's probably gonna be CGI. X-Men '97 is rumored to also be CGI. Is Marvel Studios incapable of 2D animation?

Title change makes sense given the change in direction, but I also no longer have any interest in this show unless I've run out of other things to watch.

makes sense for long term as well... calling it "Freshman Year" has it's limitations, it implies it'll only take place over that one year

if their going for longevity (an a possible multiple season run) this allows for that

Making this as a prequel to Homecoming didn't make any sense unless it was going to be a limited miniseries. You can't put the Osborns and all these other characters in it if it's meant to be connected to the MCU.

Making this as a prequel to Homecoming didn't make any sense unless it was going to be a limited miniseries.
I mean yeah, that's what I was initially expecting/hoping it would be. As I first said earlier in this thread, it would be kinda hard to stretch 6 months into a multi season show.

Can they just nix this and make a Spider-Man '98 show instead
I feel like if X-Men '97 maintains the quality they're just gonna have more and more desire for this. The head of the TV division was already asked about it and basically said anything is on the table for revivals of old favorites. It'd be hard for me to imagine them developing 2 different Spidey cartoons at the same time unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm blown away by how good X-Men is 2 episodes in, been a long time since a Marvel cartoon's got me won over instantly- I want more stuff that wholeheartedly embraces and understands the source material, I'm so over watered-down MCU aesthetics. I'm sure this show is gonna be better than the Ultimate and 2017 shows however it shakes out, but I don't know if anymore if I'm into the idea of an MCU-inspired Spidey cartoon lol and yet another teenage Spidey origin affair right now. Maybe part of me is jaded on the freshness of the equally new Ultimate Spider-Man comic series, I dunno. Part of me feels like a Spider-Man '98 would be harder to pull off also since there's maybe less of a clean break as there is for the 90s X-Men show's ending than Spidey's and I doubt people would be into the Victorian England idea to start it off but there's ways to do it.

Can they just nix this and make a Spider-Man '98 show instead
A bit too late to do that but if the 2022 tweets are to be believed from various crew members, they did not ask most of them back. So even though they announced a 2nd season prior to these tweets, that may no longer be the case.

I feel like if X-Men '97 maintains the quality they're just gonna have more and more desire for this. The head of the TV division was already asked about it and basically said anything is on the table for revivals of old favorites. It'd be hard for me to imagine them developing 2 different Spidey cartoons at the same time unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm blown away by how good X-Men is 2 episodes in, been a long time since a Marvel cartoon's got me won over instantly- I want more stuff that wholeheartedly embraces and understands the source material, I'm so over watered-down MCU aesthetics. I'm sure this show is gonna be better than the Ultimate and 2017 shows however it shakes out, but I don't know if anymore if I'm into the idea of an MCU-inspired Spidey cartoon lol and yet another teenage Spidey origin affair right now. Maybe part of me is jaded on the freshness of the equally new Ultimate Spider-Man comic series, I dunno. Part of me feels like a Spider-Man '98 would be harder to pull off also since there's maybe less of a clean break as there is for the 90s X-Men show's ending than Spidey's and I doubt people would be into the Victorian England idea to start it off but there's ways to do it.

This show is useless for me. We already focus on Spidey Holland MCU 616, interested by Spiderman '98 to tie with X-men'97,
no need an anime Spidey setting in an alternate universe from MCU, since we've already have Spidey in What if anime

This show is useless for me. We already focus on Spidey Holland MCU 616, interested by Spiderman '98 to tie with X-men'97,
no need an anime Spidey setting in an alternate universe from MCU, since we've already have Spidey in What if anime
Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"