Animation Spider-Man: Freshman Year

But it IS tied to it. It is like a What If episode as a show. Same type of universe, but what if we subbed out Tony for Norman. They are trying to have their cake and eat it too. It won't please anyone

What if is a what if. It wont have any impact or tie to the main verse as it deviates off the path and isn't bound by anything in the movies established

What if is a what if. It wont have any impact or tie to the main verse as it deviates off the path and isn't bound by anything in the movies established

Technically no, but that again isn't what they are doing. They are just remixing the MCU. That isn't the same thing. What If is a bad show cause the episodes largely don't do anything interesting with the lore. It just remixes it a little. I am seeing the same thing here. If you want something new, then do something new. Don't try to have your cake and eat it too with this similar but with a different coat of paint as the MCU garbage we are seeing

Last edited:
I would have preferred it WAS tied to the MCU. I will still watch this, but interest a bit lower
I have to admit I do think it’s a bit of a missed opportunity to not have this show connect to the MCU if only because we won’t be able to experience the canonical MCU version of Peter’s origin story. While we’ve Peter’s story told before, I was intrigued by the idea of showcasing how our Peter became Spidey and what his version of Ben was like in comparison to other versions. While I’m all for animation being independent of the movies, in this instance I’d rather they’d just made this a six episode limited series that was fully canonical to the MCU just then set development for a new Spider-Man cartoon that doesn’t take place in the MCU at all. This…is having your cake and eating it too and it’s a bit perplexing why they’re going this route.

I'm just in general against the idea of having every single thing tie into the big thing. I want variety for these characters and not having to be forced to be tied-into the same box, out of all the Marvel adaptations coming up the ones that interest me most are this now and the X-Men cartoon simply 'cause they seem to be offering something different. MCU is fine but I don't want everything Marvel going forward to be totally indebted to it visually or what they can do storywise, this seems to be a good balance of acknowledging the popularity while also servicing itself first and foremost.

Can someone please explain the green costume to me. Has he ever worn that green with a cape before?

Thanks.

Thanks! I can't find any images for Spider-Man in the yellow costume. Would you be able to help me out?
He wore it in Spectacular Spider-Man #257-258 part of a 2 month story through all the books at the time where he had a different suit in each series. Spidey was a fugitive and he couldn't easily be Spidey so he came up with 4 other identities, Osborn was responsible for putting the bounty on his head and was often wearing a nice all green suit like he's got in this show.

I imagine the Identity Crisis suits won't be because he's on the run or anything but rather just trying out different looks to find his superhero voice, I think that would be a fun way to include those suits. Hope the Ricochet suit shows up to complete the quartet!

What if he wears the Dusk suit while teaming up with Daredevil and is trying to be moodier with the crime fighting like DD? Then DD 'sees' him again as another identity and still recognizes him because of the heartbeat lol.

Are we sure this isn't connected to the MCU? The Daredevil and Doctor Strange appearances seem like it may not be the case, but it's strange Daredevil is still voiced by Charlie Cox.

Are we sure this isn't connected to the MCU? The Daredevil and Doctor Strange appearances seem like it may not be the case, but it's strange Daredevil is still voiced by Charlie Cox.
Clark Gregg was Coulson in Ultimate Spider-Man, along with a few other Agents of SHIELD characters later on voiced by their actors lol. I think it's simply a case of TV getting to use the big actors where they can empathetically.

He wore it in Spectacular Spider-Man #257-258 part of a 2 month story through all the books at the time where he had a different suit in each series. Spidey was a fugitive and he couldn't easily be Spidey so he came up with 4 other identities, Osborn was responsible for putting the bounty on his head and was often wearing a nice all green suit like he's got in this show.

I imagine the Identity Crisis suits won't be because he's on the run or anything but rather just trying out different looks to find his superhero voice, I think that would be a fun way to include those suits. Hope the Ricochet suit shows up to complete the quartet!

What if he wears the Dusk suit while teaming up with Daredevil and is trying to be moodier with the crime fighting like DD? Then DD 'sees' him again as another identity and still recognizes him because of the heartbeat lol.
Thank you so much!

Clark Gregg was Coulson in Ultimate Spider-Man, along with a few other Agents of SHIELD characters later on voiced by their actors lol. I think it's simply a case of TV getting to use the big actors where they can empathetically.

Yeah. Marvel Rising had Chloe Bennet as Quake and Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl.
Lyrica Okano will be Nico Minoru in the new Midnight Suns game.
This kind of stuff happens all the time.
Plus this show still has a bit of a connection to the MCU anyway with the What If? scenario of Osborn taking Stark's place anyway.

But it IS tied to it. It is like a What If episode as a show. Same type of universe, but what if we subbed out Tony for Norman. They are trying to have their cake and eat it too. It won't please anyone

It's like when X-Men First Class tried to have their cake and eat it too. It's essentially that approach but with Spider-Man and with more honesty that it's not a straight

If they weren't going to set it in the main MCU, they should have done an entirely separate show. This is the fourth high school show in a row in the last 15 years. Give us a show with an adult Peter who is a high school teacher and has been Spider-Man for 10+ years.

Yeah. Marvel Rising had Chloe Bennet as Quake and Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl.
Lyrica Okano will be Nico Minoru in the new Midnight Suns game.
This kind of stuff happens all the time.
Plus this show still has a bit of a connection to the MCU anyway with the What If? scenario of Osborn taking Stark's place anyway.

With all the multiverse shenanigans happening in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if this does somehow connect to the overall picture of the MCU in some way, shape or form.

I will say that as much as I don't like how they're trying to have their cake and eat it too, it's still better than an actual prequel. You couldn't have a Spider-Man show when Peter doesn't become Spider-Man "for real" until NWH. By definition, an actual prequel show wouldn't be a Spider-Man show.

I dont see how this can fit with the MCU timeline. You could always make another character Scorpion, but how would he not recognize Ock in NWH, even if he isn't HIS Ock?

Agreed!
Especially Doc Ock and Norman in Freshman year contradict with Doc Ock and Norman from Raimiverse in NWH

In Civil War, Peter said he gained his powers 6 months ago. This anime is said to be set before Civil War, so maybe during this 6 month-period

-If Peter already meet Doc Ock in MCU 616, why did he laugh when he hear Ottavius name from Raimiverse in NWH
-If he knows Norman and Harry in his universe, he would tell about with Norman from Raimiverse in NWH
-For Scorpion, can we assume Gargan seen in Homecoming had a fight with Spidey sometimes ago

Agreed. At least they cleared it up and are stating this is essentially an alternate universe.

I kind of wonder if this will have any bearing on what we see in the live action portion of the Multiverse Saga at any point.

Does anyone think that this series is essentially what Marvel Studios would've done with MCU Spider-Man if they completely owned his film rights (at least post-Tobey trilogy, if Sony did not make another Spider-Man movie within the 5 years to retain the rights)?

They wanted a young Peter Parker growing up in high school "Harry Potter"-style with the different years of his high school life being highlighted, which already separated MCU Spider-Man from Tobey's from the start (since Tobey immediately graduates high school in Spider-Man 1). This is before factoring in the additional things that would distinguish MCU Spider-Man: a new friend circle/supporting cast (which still includes Harry Osborn in Freshman Year), Peter having a mentor (a race swapped Norman Osborn in Freshman Year), the Marvel guest characters (which in Freshman Year includes a fellow street-level hero of Spidey and a fellow Steve Ditko creation), a mix of recognizable and lesser known of Spider-Man villains (with Norman Osborn being the "Tony Stark" in this alternate universe, the Spider-Man villains would likely have grudges against Norman or operate independently with their own grievances), and multiple suits (it seems Peter still is given some of the suits in Freshman Year but perhaps he gets to make his classic suit sooner as opposed to later on like in No Way Home).

Obviously, this is largely dependent on a theoretical "perfect" world where Marvel Studios had the rights to all the characters in Freshman Year/Spider-Man in general and not split off into different hands (Fox and Marvel TV). But a lot of Freshman Year!MCU Spider-Man in-comparison-to-prime!MCU Spider-Man seems to be a "what-if MCU Spider-Man's pocket corner was more independent of the wider MCU?" and is probably closer to what Marvel Studios would've preferred to present MCU Spider-Man as.

Does anyone think that this series is essentially what Marvel Studios would've done with MCU Spider-Man if they completely owned his film rights (at least post-Tobey trilogy, if Sony did not make another Spider-Man movie within the 5 years to retain the rights)?

They wanted a young Peter Parker growing up in high school "Harry Potter"-style with the different years of his high school life being highlighted, which already separated MCU Spider-Man from Tobey's from the start (since Tobey immediately graduates high school in Spider-Man 1). This is before factoring in the additional things that would distinguish MCU Spider-Man: a new friend circle/supporting cast (which still includes Harry Osborn in Freshman Year), Peter having a mentor (a race swapped Norman Osborn in Freshman Year), the Marvel guest characters (which in Freshman Year includes a fellow street-level hero of Spidey and a fellow Steve Ditko creation), a mix of recognizable and lesser known of Spider-Man villains (with Norman Osborn being the "Tony Stark" in this alternate universe, the Spider-Man villains would likely have grudges against Norman or operate independently with their own grievances), and multiple suits (it seems Peter still is given some of the suits in Freshman Year but perhaps he gets to make his classic suit sooner as opposed to later on like in No Way Home).

Obviously, this is largely dependent on a theoretical "perfect" world where Marvel Studios had the rights to all the characters in Freshman Year/Spider-Man in general and not split off into different hands (Fox and Marvel TV). But a lot of Freshman Year!MCU Spider-Man in-comparison-to-prime!MCU Spider-Man seems to be a "what-if MCU Spider-Man's pocket corner was more independent of the wider MCU?" and is probably closer to what Marvel Studios would've preferred to present MCU Spider-Man as.
I mean just about everything so far is already largely more appealing to me than decisions made early on with MCU Spidey. That's not to say I hated it all but this just feels closer to what I wanted, ya know? Even down to the heroes he's crossing paths with I'd easily take Daredevil and Dr. Strange (was so happy he was in NWH- Ditko bros indeed) over Iron Man and Nick Fury. I get why they did Iron Man and Fury for the movies but like I said, it's not as much the kinds of things I love Spidey being paired with.

It's kinda funny that Marvel Studios' animation department, with no Sony involvement anywhere, is making a Spidey world that seems to more closely resemble the traditional comics characters and settings just with some wider MU connections in the supporting cast like Amadeus Cho/Runaways/Wakanda rep, something they likely couldn't do in the Sony MCU movies. From a glance it feels like a good balance between classic Spidey and wider Marvel connections baked in.

Plus Spidey's mentor being a billionaire he's allowed to hate in the end is nice. MCU Spidey always fighting villains who were trashed by the billionaire and Tony was always able to be absolved no matter what just 'cause the villains had to be villains rubbed me the wrong way. They almost got it in Homecoming with Vulture trying to teach Spidey the lesson but it seems halfhearted because Iron Man hero!

Cant they tell since the beginning that this shows didnt set in 616 ?
They only said it takes place before Civil War

Now we know it sets in alternate universe like What if and Marvel Zombies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"