Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Eh I didn't think this season was that much better than Season 3 if I'm being honest, but I'm glad other people are enjoying it more because I can completely understand why.

I just think I've completely checked out of it at this point which is a shame because I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but at least Strange New World looks really promising so far.

It’s just a shame Tilly was missing from most of it. She really makes the show. But other than that I loved it

Just finished the Star Trek shorts and I liked them but…. Calypso Is everything.

The second half of S4 was solid, and the last couple of episodes were a wonderful display of 'first contact'. Ever since the crew of Discovery jumped into the future, it's felt like such a better series. The future/point in the timeline we're in now makes much more sense with the overall aesthetic of this Star Trek than it did prior. Certainly happy to see prequel stuff in the near future on P+ but man.. I'm loving seeing these future ships, future uniforms, etc. it all looks glorious.

Agreed, it’s a shame they didn’t start from the future. But all Star Trek series take a while to find their groove. I’m glad the crew are starting to form friendships and relationships to each other

Now that Trek has its own forum, feel free to create episode threads, character threads, etc. in the future. Just be sure to select the "Discovery" prefix for any new threads relating to this show.

Yeah the last season was ace. I think as the cast relax around each other they get better and better

I watched season ONE several years ago when it was first released on DVD. I liked it. I remember at the time that a lot of people were complaining about the Klingons and the ultra modern tech as compared to the original series. I just said "Oh wow, a Star Trek series that takes place in another universe....cool."

Well I just bought seasons 2-4 .....and just rewatched season 1 (liked it even more this time around) Will watch the other seasons in the upcoming weeks.

I just finished season 2. Cool story arc, epic ending. A nice set up for the Captain Pike series.

I just finished season 3. Very good. I love time travel stories. I thought it was creative and new to have the Federation in such disarray.

I haven't read any of this thread, so I don't know how the people on the Hype feel about the series. I have seen people on facebook give the series hell like it had shot their mother in the face and raped their dog. I thought it was fun science fiction.

I just finished season 3. Very good. I love time travel stories. I thought it was creative and new to have the Federation in such disarray.

I haven't read any of this thread, so I don't know how the people on the Hype feel about the series. I have seen people on facebook give the series hell like it had shot their mother in the face and raped their dog. I thought it was fun science fiction.

I am not a Trekky myself. But apart from thinking season 3 was poor I have enjoyed the show a lot.

I am not a Trekky myself. But apart from thinking season 3 was poor I have enjoyed the show a lot.
What made it poor to you? Was it because it was so far away from regular Trek, with the Federation being in such disarray?

Yay I love seeing the team again together. I wish I could watch it right now

8eceb1e3-5f69-43b2-928e-0aae17734e1b_text.gif

In a seriousness, I really dislike Picard and Discovery. I think they are very poorly written, bad sci-fi, and not very good Star Trek. The way they connect Burnham to Spock is lazy small universe writing. I also can't stand the overuse of Section 31 in the Orci-Kurtzman era of Trek and the weird multi-millennia organics vs synthetics plotlines like some bad BSG knockoff.

Growing up with TNG and DS9, I like it when my Trek tries hard to be reasonably scientifically accurate and craft a level of versimiltude. I find Picard and Discovery really fail at that (the spore drive is laughably stupid to me). But to be fair, this is generally a problem for a lot of sci-fi these days. It tends to be space fantasy rather a legitimate attempt to use science to tell stories.

But for those who like this show, I say live and let live. I have two very excellent Star Trek series on TV right now in Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks, so I can look the other way.

I finished season 4 this morning. It was a let down from the other 3 seasons. I liked that the new aliens had a totally different way of communicating, didn't like that our guys were able to interpret it so easily (guess Burnham had watched Close Encounters of the third Kind at some time)....totally hated the Professor Tarka character (the season would have been better if they had had someone slap the **** out of him at least once an episode)....something just seemed off about the season (needed more Tilly I guess).

Season 5 is confirmed to be the final season. I have not exactly gotten into the series, but I do think its a shame it is ending. I would have liked to see the series that essentially brought Trek back to the small screen get 7 seasons, as was tradition for a while.

I'm not really sad. While I'm glad it helped usher in the new era of Trek, it's been the weakest BUT its looks BEAUTIFUL. The focus on Burnham as the sole main character really hurt it imo.

It just didn't know what it wanted to be. A prequel, a sequel. This show never found its place. It just came in and messed with the lore. It was bad enough it started by changing the past, but then went into the far future and changed that too. If they would have just moved Star Trek beyond Voyager they could've done whatever they wanted. Sticking it right into pre TOS era made this show never have a chance. If they would've just started in the, or a future they might have had something to build on.

Kind of surprised and only mildly disappointed mostly because it should have gotten to the 7 season mark of TNG era shows. Instead they stuck it in the past then the far future and still could not figure out where to go or what to do.

Burnham being the main character in an ensemble was fine, if the rest of the cast were more fleshed out and more important than they ended up being. They really misfired with that Kelpian being the reason warp travel was dead for over a century too. It really felt pulled out of somewhere it probably should have stayed.

Oh well, at least we have Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks. One set pre-TOS done right and one post TNG/Voyager also done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"