Picard Star Trek: Picard - General Discussion Thread

Imagine my surprise after watching season 2 episode 1, coming away entertained and satisfied with what they did.
I shall eagerly be awaiting episode 2...

Agree good first episode.

A more recognizable Starfleet , not the bitter cynical, miserable organization of season 1. (although that's just the set-up, we're about to lose it to a possible totalitarian future Starfleet)
New interesting looking (not just CG cloned) ships. New Borg ship and take on the Queen (with a possible new motive) and new Stragazer hero ship look terrific.

Main characters seem likable now. I get they were going for the dissfunctional, broken, antithetical Trek crew (is what made them somewhat interesting), yet having them finally get there. I guess really makes a difference.
Especially having Raffi, Rios, Picard back in Starfleet. (for now)

And Q set up stakes seem hi, and compelling so far.

Last edited:
I have a question about the universal translator. When Rios is speaking Spanish and Seven answers him is that because of the UT or because she knows Spanish? When anyone speaks another language on the show and there are subtitles is that just an artistic choice by the show? Do the other characters actually just hear their native language, but we are seeing the different ones for perspective?

I have a question about the universal translator. When Rios is speaking Spanish and Seven answers him is that because of the UT or because she knows Spanish? When anyone speaks another language on the show and there are subtitles is that just an artistic choice by the show? Do the other characters actually just hear their native language, but we are seeing the different ones for perspective?
Yeah I'm curious about that too, I think they are just having fun with the vaguery of it.
On the Stargazer when he gives is Engage/Make it So command as !Dale! it gets no response.

I have a question about the universal translator. When Rios is speaking Spanish and Seven answers him is that because of the UT or because she knows Spanish?
I’m guessing UT. Reducing the crew to one hologram who doesn’t speak a language she understands seems like a Seven kind of thing to do. She kept herself isolated on Voyager even when she was curious about interpersonal relationships.

I’m guessing UT. Reducing the crew to one hologram who doesn’t speak a language she understands seems like a Seven kind of thing to do. She kept herself isolated on Voyager even when she was curious about interpersonal relationships.
Yeah I'm curious about that too, I think they are just having fun with the vaguery of it.
On the Stargazer when he gives is Engage/Make it So command as !Dale! it gets no response.
ah, gotcha. I kind of liked it. Rios is probably the best character in the series I like that he is the captain back in Starfleet. I was surprised that no one was listening to Picard or Rios when they ordered them to stop shooting. I get it, the fear taking hold; but after the captain and then the admiral gives an order you would think someone would listen.

I try to avoid spoilers, so I came in knowing very little of the plot for season 2. I knew Guinan, Q, and the Borg would be in the season but not much else. I was surprised most of the cast is back in Starfleet (or newly joined in Elnor's case). Though I found season 1 disappointing, one aspect I did like was being outside the standard Trek "Starfleet starship crew" storyline. Oh well.

I'm curious to see how they'll incorporate Soji into the story. Everyone else is pretty much already in the thick of it, while she's off chilling and making speeches lol.

Yeah, so far this looks good. And damn, so does Jeri Ryan still always as well. Guinan was a surprise, wasn't expecting that since I've forgot most of the last trailer. Hopefully the Borg story will be good.

Interesting new look for The Borg Queen. The main mystery of The Borg Queen is why she said "look up" the same thing his Mother used to say. Could this just be a memory The Borg have when they originally assimilated Picard? Or there something more than meets the eye? There was that flashback Picard had when his Mother looked like she was being kidnapped? The question is how is this linked to The Borg?! Also another question is was there request for peace ever real?

The main mystery of The Borg Queen is why she said "look up" the same thing his Mother used to say. Could this just be a memory The Borg have when they originally assimilated Picard? Or there something more than meets the eye? There was that flashback Picard had when his Mother looked like she was being kidnapped? The question is how is this linked to The Borg?!
It seems Picard got his English accent from the mother he lost when he was a young boy (when she was abducted?). French-accented Maman from TNG season 1 must be his stepmother.

Interesting new look for The Borg Queen. The main mystery of The Borg Queen is why she said "look up" the same thing his Mother used to say. Could this just be a memory The Borg have when they originally assimilated Picard? Or there something more than meets the eye? There was that flashback Picard had when his Mother looked like she was being kidnapped? The question is how is this linked to The Borg?! Also another question is was there request for peace ever real?

Masked Borg - Jean Luc, I am your mother!
Jean Luc - Nnnnoooo!!!
...about to kill his Borg mother...remembers his own Borg implants and new synth body.
Enter Borg Empress cackling. - Do it, take your mothers place by my side!
Jean Luc - I will never join you. You've failed, Your Highness.....
JL's Mother, conflicted, turns repeatedly between both. Finally throws the Borg Empress into the warp core.
Jean Luc help me take this mask off, and gaze upon the stars with my own eyes.
\
67mxlk.gif

Q (snaps!) - Stop judging, I was out of ideas to torment you with.:oldrazz:

Last edited:
Jean Luc, I am your mother!
Jean Luc - Nnnnoooo!!!
...about to kill his Borg mother...remembers his own Borg implants and new synth body.
Enter Borg Empress cackling. - Do it, take your mothers place by my side!
Jean Luc - I will never join you. You've failed, Your Highness.....
JL's Mother, conflicted, turns repeatedly between both. Finally throws the Borg Empress into the warp core.
Jean Luc help me take this mask off, and gaze upon the stars with my own eyes.
\
67mxlk.gif

Q (snaps!) - Stop judging, I was out of ideas to torment you with.:oldrazz:

Haha I like it!!!

Dang... That's two good episodes in a row. :ebr:

So, Los Angeles 2024. Maybe California flips?

Ever since real life became crazier than fiction, I wouldn't be surprised by fiction becoming more direct and critical of real life.

We don't know the details of President Hansen's marriage, but that looks like an Ace ring.

What a second episode!!!
Episode 1 and 2 defo made up for last Season of Picard.
Q looking a tad insane and what looked like blood shot eyes makes me think is Q dying?! In Discovery they did say they haven't heard off the Q Continuum in like 600 Years so could this be the onset of the Q's decline? About Q I love how he is in essence a Fanboy with all the Meta mentions of Star Trek episode names (I got a chuckle when he mentioned "Yesterday's Enterprise").
Love the Easter Eggs, with being a hardcore DS9 Fanboy hearing Gul Dukat, Martok and General Sisko made me so happy.
Even if they evil I did like The "Confederation" uniforms, gave me First Contact era vibes (giving Star Trek got darker when those uniforms came into play: First Contact and Dominion War. Thought it was a clever shout out).
Bring on next weeks episode, and Picard's take on The Voyage Home (with less Whales but more Borg I guess).

I am enjoying this series very much. I loled at Q's referencing other Trek titles, the trophies of DS9 characters and also the living one like Sisko.

So Sisiko did return to Kasidy as promised after being with the Prophets? Or is this a different Sisko, maybe Jake? Kasidy? The offspring from the time when Kasidy was pregnant?

I am enjoying this series very much. I loled at Q's referencing other Trek titles, the trophies of DS9 characters and also the living one like Sisko.

So Sisiko did return to Kasidy as promised after being with the Prophets? Or is this a different Sisko, maybe Jake? Kasidy? The offspring from the time when Kasidy was pregnant?

How I see it in this Universe with them being very xenophobic and pro Earth that the Bajoran wormhole was never found, or more like the Prophets never made themselves known to this “General Sisko” with the Confederation track record. So because it was never found, Sisko never became the Emissary and never joined the Prophets, so he still around doing Confederation genocide ways…that’s how my head canon read the situation.

Season 02/Episode 03 — “Assimilation”

Picard and the crew travel back to 2024 Los Angeles in search of the "Watcher," who can help them identify the point at which time diverged. Seven, Raffi, and Rios venture out into an unfamiliar world four hundred years in their past, while Picard and Jurati attempt to gather information from an unlikely, and dangerous, ally. Written by Kirsten Beyer & Christopher Monfette; directed by Lea Thompson.

Arguably the weakest of the S02 episodes so far. But… still better than most of last season. :word: We’re now into the nuts-and-bolts of the time-travel plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"