Star Wars Films: 6 Chapters of the Same Book or Not?

Bug-Eyes

The Immortal
Reaction score
I loved the New Trilogy. Thought it was great. I know some people don't agree.

Now either the Star Wars Films are 6 Chapters of the Same Book or Not? Well forget what the fanatics say, according to the one who created them they are and they should look like it.

Recently when watching the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, I glanced over to my shelf and realized how much money I spent on these movies....

I own the original trilogy on VHS, the Remastered Trilogy on VHS, the Special Edition on VHS, Phantom Menace on VHS. Then I have the Special DVD edition of the original Trilogy, I own two of those for some reason, not to mention the new Trilogy on DVD......

Anyway The so called special editions aren't that special.

Now I am not going to be one of these people *****ing about who shot first (it was Han)....

But What I am complaining about is the lack of quality in the DVD Special Edition...

All the versions I own and yet there is not one I am truly happy with.

On the DVD special Edition the Lightsaber's effect look poor, ever since the trilogy went on DVD, Vader's looks pink half the time and the white center never looks white.

In a New Hope, Luke's looks white, then green, then blue.

All of them flicker and don't match the pristine look of the new films.

For Lucasfilm inventors of THX and quality CGI efffects, I assume quality was of the most importance, but I lost count how many times the lighsabers changed colors in all 3 of the old skool films.

They looked better before it was released on DVD

Now Why spend all the time adding Jabba the Hutt to a New Hope and leave the Lightsaber's looking terrible....

The lightsaber blades constantly suffer from mis coloration and flickering.

"This is most noticable in "A New Hope". When Luke is training on the Falcon and Kenobi's fight with Vader. In"Return of the Jedi" Darth Vader's lightsaber
often changes between a solid white core with red glow, to a noticeably pink core. Even the red is more pink than red."

What I want in a special ultimate Edition is simple......

1. Fix all the rotoscoping....Re do the lazers, the lightsabers to look as good as they do in the new trilogy...Make them consistent...

But if you really wanted to take the films to a whole new level, you would have to get serious.

Now if I was in charge I would want to really make the old trilogy consistent with the new one. Sure I would go a little overboard. But

No matter what the loyal fanboys would say I would do it. Look at it this way.....

The new trilogy will now forever be part of the the original trilogy, no use in pretending it is not (you know who you are)

In terms of looks the Original Trilogy and the New Trilogy vary to0 much and Lucasfilm should bring the old trilogy up to scratch, not a half attempt with little tweaks, but re do but a full on make over.

So sure people will complain with my post.....but I stated my point as to why above so here is my list, its not in order:

1. Like my simple fix, all the rotoscoping needs to be redone from scratch to look like the new set of movies...

2. The last fight with Obi and Vader should be improved. It would be easy to do, as Obi always wearing his hood so you could film new scenes with a hood actor and perhaps map

3. on a CGI face if need...Forget what people have said "its an old man verses a machine man", they are Jedi age matters not, look at Yoda, judge him by age would you..No and well you should not. So The last fight should be ramped up to at least half of the Revenge of the Sith Level.

3. Re do the entire death star attack in CGI not cut back and forth, the Deathstar doesn't look that good up close (actually if you look on the DVD menu the Deathstar
looks pretty good in CGI version)

4. Make the battles of Hoth look more grander kind of like the Clone wars shot from ATOC......

5. Re do all the ships in CGI..Especially the smaller ships, snow speeders etc, make them do over the top aerial movements that is possible with CGI but limited by model work... The star destroyers look fine...And the battle scene at the end of return in fine...although add some CGI elements....

6. Add some of the aliens from the new trilogy to the Cantina scene and to Jabba's palace and to Mos Isley. Reaccuring characters even in the background makes all the films more consistent....

7. Add some battle droid wrecks in the Jawa Sandcrawller and Cloud city junk room....... So many Battledroids, surely junk dealers picked up the pieces.

8. Add some aliens into the rebel army, especially at end scene in a New Hope....The rebels are supposed to be united of all races but they look as racist as the empire...

9. All aliens who have latex eyes should have their eyes redone in CGI...

10. CGI Rancor please.

11. CGI Tantuns

12. All computer read outs, and panels should be redone where feasible in CGI with better look displays not 1976 computer technology....

Now feel free to add your suggestions.......

Remember the Star Wars Films are 6 Chapters of the Same Book.

May the Force be with you.

wtf? who cares.
now my young one. go into the STAR WARS forum and post ur rant

4 films? See what I am saying....George Lucas decides how many and what the films look like...Not You and not me.

If they are, they are part of a very incoherrant book where details change from chapter to chapter with absolutely no explanation and that was probably written by either a chimp or a mentally handicapped person.

They should change Episodes 1 and 2's names to "Star Wars:The Noob Years:.

Maybe Anakin can make out with Dumbledore instead of whatsherface.

If they are, they are part of a very incoherrant book where details change from chapter to chapter with absolutely no explanation and that was probably written by either a chimp or a mentally handicapped person.

Lol, well put.

No matter what, whenever there is a new Star Wars thread, I can always count on Matt to come in and stomp the saga into the ground, douse it in gasoline, set it on fire, and throw it into a pen full of hungry wild boars.

you cant fix the star wars saga , whats done is done . i just hope the future brings a better project.

I loved the New Trilogy. Thought it was great. I know some people don't agree.

Now either the Star Wars Films are 6 Chapters of the Same Book or Not? Well forget what the fanatics say, according to the one who created them they are and they should look like it.

Recently when watching the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, I glanced over to my shelf and realized how much money I spent on these movies....

I own the original trilogy on VHS, the Remastered Trilogy on VHS, the Special Edition on VHS, Phantom Menace on VHS. Then I have the Special DVD edition of the original Trilogy, I own two of those for some reason, not to mention the new Trilogy on DVD......

Anyway The so called special editions aren't that special.

Now I am not going to be one of these people *****ing about who shot first (it was Han)....

But What I am complaining about is the lack of quality in the DVD Special Edition...

All the versions I own and yet there is not one I am truly happy with.

On the DVD special Edition the Lightsaber's effect look poor, ever since the trilogy went on DVD, Vader's looks pink half the time and the white center never looks white.

In a New Hope, Luke's looks white, then green, then blue.

All of them flicker and don't match the pristine look of the new films.

For Lucasfilm inventors of THX and quality CGI efffects, I assume quality was of the most importance, but I lost count how many times the lighsabers changed colors in all 3 of the old skool films.

They looked better before it was released on DVD

Now Why spend all the time adding Jabba the Hutt to a New Hope and leave the Lightsaber's looking terrible....

The lightsaber blades constantly suffer from mis coloration and flickering.

"This is most noticable in "A New Hope". When Luke is training on the Falcon and Kenobi's fight with Vader. In"Return of the Jedi" Darth Vader's lightsaber
often changes between a solid white core with red glow, to a noticeably pink core. Even the red is more pink than red."

What I want in a special ultimate Edition is simple......

1. Fix all the rotoscoping....Re do the lazers, the lightsabers to look as good as they do in the new trilogy...Make them consistent...

But if you really wanted to take the films to a whole new level, you would have to get serious.

Now if I was in charge I would want to really make the old trilogy consistent with the new one. Sure I would go a little overboard. But

No matter what the loyal fanboys would say I would do it. Look at it this way.....

The new trilogy will now forever be part of the the original trilogy, no use in pretending it is not (you know who you are)

In terms of looks the Original Trilogy and the New Trilogy vary to0 much and Lucasfilm should bring the old trilogy up to scratch, not a half attempt with little tweaks, but re do but a full on make over.

So sure people will complain with my post.....but I stated my point as to why above so here is my list, its not in order:

1. Like my simple fix, all the rotoscoping needs to be redone from scratch to look like the new set of movies...

2. The last fight with Obi and Vader should be improved. It would be easy to do, as Obi always wearing his hood so you could film new scenes with a hood actor and perhaps map

3. on a CGI face if need...Forget what people have said "its an old man verses a machine man", they are Jedi age matters not, look at Yoda, judge him by age would you..No and well you should not. So The last fight should be ramped up to at least half of the Revenge of the Sith Level.

3. Re do the entire death star attack in CGI not cut back and forth, the Deathstar doesn't look that good up close (actually if you look on the DVD menu the Deathstar
looks pretty good in CGI version)

4. Make the battles of Hoth look more grander kind of like the Clone wars shot from ATOC......

5. Re do all the ships in CGI..Especially the smaller ships, snow speeders etc, make them do over the top aerial movements that is possible with CGI but limited by model work... The star destroyers look fine...And the battle scene at the end of return in fine...although add some CGI elements....

6. Add some of the aliens from the new trilogy to the Cantina scene and to Jabba's palace and to Mos Isley. Reaccuring characters even in the background makes all the films more consistent....

7. Add some battle droid wrecks in the Jawa Sandcrawller and Cloud city junk room....... So many Battledroids, surely junk dealers picked up the pieces.

8. Add some aliens into the rebel army, especially at end scene in a New Hope....The rebels are supposed to be united of all races but they look as racist as the empire...

9. All aliens who have latex eyes should have their eyes redone in CGI...

10. CGI Rancor please.

11. CGI Tantuns

12. All computer read outs, and panels should be redone where feasible in CGI with better look displays not 1976 computer technology....

Now feel free to add your suggestions.......

Remember the Star Wars Films are 6 Chapters of the Same Book.

May the Force be with you.

just leave the old trilogy alone. i know you want the films to match up, but, and this is directed at lucas, if you need to change your old, classic films to match the new ones, then you f**ked up on the new ones.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Besides, how are you going to re-edit 20+ year old films like that? It won't look right.

My only gripe is that the scenery in the PT is so vivid and beautiful, whereas in the OT its all drab and hightech. I realize its a discrepency nigh impossible to fix, but Lucas could've maintained consistency when he went back and made the PT. Or just remake the OT to fix the errors.

---Morzan

Lucas should not mess with the original trilogy anymore, he's already messed with it enough. Also, I don't think tweaking the trilogy the large majority of the fans like more is the way to go, maybe he should correct the trilogy the large majority of the fans see as inferior or just plain crap (in my case).

This is the biggest, geekiest thing I have ever read.

To set one small matter straight, the lightsaber effects on the 2004 DVDs of the OT were not done by ILM; they were working on "Episode III" at the time, and weren't available. The picture restoration was done by Lowry Digital Images, as were the replacement saber blades. Personally, i think the ones in "Empire" are nearly perfect; it's "New Hope" and "Jedi" where the lightsabers suck. I hope Lucas & Co. fix this sometime, and sooner rather than later.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, I do think the saga is one story. To quote Vader, "the circle is now complete". Episode I-III depict Anakin's rise and fall, while IV-VI deal with his redemption. That's the core story.

I don't hate the SE's of the OT that much. SW fanboys just whine too much.

Lucas doesn't need to tweak the movies anymore. Please, no.

Of course not But he probably will. They are his movies after all and he can do what he wants with them for all I care.

Just as long as he doesn't release the Holiday Special:csad:

Preach it brother Matt! :up:

The tone and overall attitude of the prequels is far too removed from that of the original trilogy for them to really feel connected. The prequels feel like bad fan fiction brought to life.

Now if I was in charge I would want to really make the old trilogy consistent with the new one.
Um... FYI... It is the new trilogy that should be made consistent with the old trilogy, not the other way around. :dry:

Um... FYI... It is the new trilogy that should be made consistent with the old trilogy, not the other way around. :dry:

By Change I only mean the effects, not the story line. The effects rock in the new one but the ot, which i used to think rocked now is let down by age

They should change Episodes 1 and 2's names to "Star Wars:The Noob Years:.

Maybe Anakin can make out with Dumbledore instead of whatsherface.

amidala will kick yo ass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"