Star Wars Films: 6 Chapters of the Same Book or Not?

Morzan said:
My only gripe is that the scenery in the PT is so vivid and beautiful, whereas in the OT its all drab and high-tech.
Well, Lucas has explained this a bit on some of the DVD interviews and commentaries. The upcoming TV series will probably expand on it more, but this is what supposedly happened.

In the 20-year period between Episodes III & IV, Palpatine takes control of the galaxy (presumably from Coruscant), using the newly-created Imperial Starfleet to enforce his tyrannical rule. The few Jedi Knights who survive the Purge (except for Obi-Wan, Yoda, and the twins, of course) are hunted down by Darth Vader and Palpatine's stormtroopers. this continues for two decades, causing economic structures to collapse, and the gritty "used future" seen in the OT is one of many results. Consider these plot points, put into effect at the end of the PT...

• With the death of Nute Gunray at Vader's hand, and the presumed disbanding of the Trade Federation, Palpatine would control all major means of acquiring food or transportation. This would lead to people living off what they could find (such as on Tatooine, with its moisture farms), and the adoption of smuggling routes between star systems (such as the "Kessel Run" mentioned by Han Solo).
  • Anyone publicly against the Empire would naturally be treated as an enemy, and likely targeted for destruction. This is evidenced by the secrecy surrounding the Alliance's foundation by Mon Mothma and Padme' Amidala, seen in the "Episode III" deleted scenes.

I don't know why the "fanboys" get so worked up about change. Personally I am the biggest star wars fan and I enjoy it when lucas changes the movies, its like watching a new film.. If I want the original I pop on my original Version, I don't complain.

Personally how can it bother someone if there is more than one version of a film floating around.

Fanboys listen up, its real simple. Watch the version you like and ignore the other versions........

I loved the New Trilogy. Thought it was great. I know some people don't agree.

Now either the Star Wars Films are 6 Chapters of the Same Book or Not? Well forget what the fanatics say, according to the one who created them they are and they should look like it.

Recently when watching the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, I glanced over to my shelf and realized how much money I spent on these movies....

I own the original trilogy on VHS, the Remastered Trilogy on VHS, the Special Edition on VHS, Phantom Menace on VHS. Then I have the Special DVD edition of the original Trilogy, I own two of those for some reason, not to mention the new Trilogy on DVD......

Anyway The so called special editions aren't that special.

Now I am not going to be one of these people *****ing about who shot first (it was Han)....

But What I am complaining about is the lack of quality in the DVD Special Edition...

All the versions I own and yet there is not one I am truly happy with.

On the DVD special Edition the Lightsaber's effect look poor, ever since the trilogy went on DVD, Vader's looks pink half the time and the white center never looks white.

In a New Hope, Luke's looks white, then green, then blue.

All of them flicker and don't match the pristine look of the new films.

For Lucasfilm inventors of THX and quality CGI efffects, I assume quality was of the most importance, but I lost count how many times the lighsabers changed colors in all 3 of the old skool films.

They looked better before it was released on DVD

Now Why spend all the time adding Jabba the Hutt to a New Hope and leave the Lightsaber's looking terrible....

The lightsaber blades constantly suffer from mis coloration and flickering.

"This is most noticable in "A New Hope". When Luke is training on the Falcon and Kenobi's fight with Vader. In"Return of the Jedi" Darth Vader's lightsaber
often changes between a solid white core with red glow, to a noticeably pink core. Even the red is more pink than red."

What I want in a special ultimate Edition is simple......

1. Fix all the rotoscoping....Re do the lazers, the lightsabers to look as good as they do in the new trilogy...Make them consistent...

But if you really wanted to take the films to a whole new level, you would have to get serious.

Now if I was in charge I would want to really make the old trilogy consistent with the new one. Sure I would go a little overboard. But

No matter what the loyal fanboys would say I would do it. Look at it this way.....

The new trilogy will now forever be part of the the original trilogy, no use in pretending it is not (you know who you are)

In terms of looks the Original Trilogy and the New Trilogy vary to0 much and Lucasfilm should bring the old trilogy up to scratch, not a half attempt with little tweaks, but re do but a full on make over.

So sure people will complain with my post.....but I stated my point as to why above so here is my list, its not in order:

1. Like my simple fix, all the rotoscoping needs to be redone from scratch to look like the new set of movies...

2. The last fight with Obi and Vader should be improved. It would be easy to do, as Obi always wearing his hood so you could film new scenes with a hood actor and perhaps map

3. on a CGI face if need...Forget what people have said "its an old man verses a machine man", they are Jedi age matters not, look at Yoda, judge him by age would you..No and well you should not. So The last fight should be ramped up to at least half of the Revenge of the Sith Level.

3. Re do the entire death star attack in CGI not cut back and forth, the Deathstar doesn't look that good up close (actually if you look on the DVD menu the Deathstar
looks pretty good in CGI version)

4. Make the battles of Hoth look more grander kind of like the Clone wars shot from ATOC......

5. Re do all the ships in CGI..Especially the smaller ships, snow speeders etc, make them do over the top aerial movements that is possible with CGI but limited by model work... The star destroyers look fine...And the battle scene at the end of return in fine...although add some CGI elements....

6. Add some of the aliens from the new trilogy to the Cantina scene and to Jabba's palace and to Mos Isley. Reaccuring characters even in the background makes all the films more consistent....

7. Add some battle droid wrecks in the Jawa Sandcrawller and Cloud city junk room....... So many Battledroids, surely junk dealers picked up the pieces.

8. Add some aliens into the rebel army, especially at end scene in a New Hope....The rebels are supposed to be united of all races but they look as racist as the empire...

9. All aliens who have latex eyes should have their eyes redone in CGI...

10. CGI Rancor please.

11. CGI Tantuns

12. All computer read outs, and panels should be redone where feasible in CGI with better look displays not 1976 computer technology....

Now feel free to add your suggestions.......

Remember the Star Wars Films are 6 Chapters of the Same Book.

May the Force be with you.

I like what you are saying here....

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Besides, how are you going to re-edit 20+ year old films like that? It won't look right.

Which brings me to my next point.....Re Do it all.....I say re-make the entire Original Trilogy....but use the same script...of course change any of the inconsistancies

But Bug Eyes made some great points, add in some aliens to the rebels....was there even a single talking alien in ANH?...besides Chewie? Throw in battle droids lying about....todd some naboo Ships into the Battle of yavin.....Add the Emperor into ep 4.....set some Scene's on Cosuscant.

But keep the content and story very very very similar...like 99.9 percent identical to the original to not mess with the Expanded universe continuity....but at the same time you can add things in there to help the Expanded universe.

Toss in a scene with palpatine and Thrawn, Put Dash Rendar into one of the Snow Speeders, Show the Bothans dying to get the Death Star II Information, Hell even just Seeing Prince Xisor walking out of a room on Coruscant would make me geeekhasm......

As for Casting? No clue......Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker could reprise thier roles...as could Anthony....C-3P0 guy.....Daniels?

Ian could still play Palpatine just fine, James Earle Jones as the voice of Vader....Frank Oz for Yoda.....Ewen McGregor could play Obi....Get Jimmy Smits back and put some new stuff in there with Bail and Leia.

As for all the main cast....No clue....No one could live up to Hammil and ford.......

All I know is Mos Def should play Lando......

All the while knowing that this remade Original Trilogy isn't meant to replace the first one, but it is the best way to enhance it.

I personally would prefer a remade 4 5 anf 6 over a 7 8 and 9.

I want them to digitally remove Mark Hamil and digitally put me into the movies as Luke Skywalker.

Lucas should go Beowulf style and make Episode VII, VIII, & IX that way. Ford, Carrie, and Hamill could be easily digitally de-aged just like Ray Winstone.

4 films? See what I am saying....George Lucas decides how many and what the films look like...Not You and not me.

no, we decide...I love episodes 3, 4, and 5...I dont like any of the others...so I dont own them, or feel the need to watch them...therefore, to me, there are only 3 movies, and that's all I care about...so Lucas can have his 6, I'm fine with that, he can release them in any way he wants, and call whatever he wants the true version...but to me, in my opinion, there are only the 3...truth is nothing but how an individual views the world.

Lucas should go Beowulf style and make Episode VII, VIII, & IX that way. Ford, Carrie, and Hamill could be easily digitally de-aged just like Ray Winstone.

Y'know, I'd actually be fine with that provided Lucas neither writes nor directs and simply produces and creates basic plot outlines. Lucas is best as an idea man. He is a horrid writer and a great director for cinematography purposes, but sucks at directing actors and creating a coherrant story line.

Oh, and Lucas seems to be a bit of a pathalogical liar.

here's a problem I have with Star Wars and the new movies...a continuity error I think they could fix.

In A New Hope, during the Obi Wan/Vader fight, Obi Wan calls Vader "Darth" as if it were his first name, and not a title. That would be like going up to a priest and calling him "Priest!" as if it were his name...they should change it to Vader...

here's a problem I have with Star Wars and the new movies...a continuity error I think they could fix.

In A New Hope, during the Obi Wan/Vader fight, Obi Wan calls Vader "Darth" as if it were his first name, and not a title. That would be like going up to a priest and calling him "Priest!" as if it were his name...they should change it to Vader...

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Certainly is a knife in the back of Lucas' "I've had it all planned since day one!" comments.

Preach it brother Matt! :up:

The tone and overall attitude of the prequels is far too removed from that of the original trilogy for them to really feel connected. The prequels feel like bad fan fiction brought to life.

Seconded. Although I will get flamed for this, I really enjoyed Episode I -- as escapist entertainment and a SW spinoff, not a prequel. The successive two I really want to forget -- AOTC was so bad it could be easily on MST3K, the dialogue was hilarious and everyone took themselves so damn seriously. ROTS wasn't nearly as bad (and even halfway watchable), but it was still whiny and melodramatic.

In fact, I only really enjoyed Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back (none of this 'Episode [insert number]' crap), but Return of the Jedi was too cutesy and disappointing. (It deserves merit solely because of Carrie Fisher in the slave-girl bikini.)

The one that always gets me is, "You fought with my father during the clone wars."

By the end of the prequels I was left thinking, "Where?" :huh:

I don't give a damn about what anyone says-- Return of the Jedi is the best of the entire saga.

The one that always gets me is, "You fought with my father during the clone wars."

By the end of the prequels I was left thinking, "Where?" :huh:

i thought that was before he knew the big secret.

WarBlade said:
The one that always gets me is, "You fought with my father during the clone wars." By the end of the prequels I was left thinking, "Where?"
Well, the Clone Wars began at the end of "Attack of the Clones", and in the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith", you clearly see that Obi-Wan and Anakin are still partners. The Clone Wars are detailed further in the 2D animated series, and also in the book "Labyrinth of Evil", which ties into the beginning of "Sith".

Plus, a little clarification on the Kenobi/Luke exchange in "A New Hope"...

Luke: "You fought in the Clone Wars?"
Obi-Wan: "Yes. I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father."

He never mentioned that he consistently fought alonside Anakin, merely that he was a "good friend" and "great pilot".

He never mentioned that he consistently fought alonside Anakin, merely that he was a "good friend" and "great pilot".

Ya know most of the lines in ANH dont match up to the prequels 100% I guess Ben got a little forgetful in his old age......

1. Your uncle said he shouldn't have got involved bla bla bla...

as if Uncle Owen told Anakin, who was already a Jedi to leave the order and come and join him, a guy he met for two seconds to hang out and collect other peoples evaporated sweat and piss...

you can't win darth

As if Obi would refer to his former sidekick as Darth or Vader he would call him Anakin....just like he did in Revenge of Sith, even thou he was still called darth vader and obi new this

A) On another note when ever they mention Clone wars in ANH it always sounds like coloen wars... ?

B) Did lucas really know during a ANH vader was Anakin lukes father or was that an after though after the success... it might explain a bit... like how powerful Mr Sith could not sense his own daughter or Son....when one was right in front of him and the other he was trying to shoot down with his ship....

RE DO THE VADER/OBI FIGHT
in A New Hope, Bring it to at least Half the intensity of Revenge of the Sith Fight.. Costume actors/digital stunt doubles makes it easy

Actually in a ANH they make Jedi Knights seem like an army you can join.....Not choosen since birth

Bug-Eyes said:
As if Obi would refer to his former sidekick as Darth or Vader he would call him Anakin....just like he did in Revenge of Sith, even thou he was still called "Darth Vader" and Obi-Wan knew this.
In "Return of the Jedi", Obi-Wan tells Luke, "He is more machine now than man, twisted and evil." This could be viewed as a reason for Ben's attitude. He's given up on Anakin being redeemed, and believes the only choice left is to destroy both Vader and the Emperor.

...like how powerful Mr Sith could not sense his own daughter or son....when one was right in front of him and the other he was trying to shoot down with his ship.
We can only assume that in between the events of "New Hope" and "Empire", Vader somehow sensed Luke's connection to him through the Force. the altered dialogue between himself and the holographic Emperor establishes Vader already being aware of Luke, and feigning dumb to throw Palpatine off-track.

Oh yeah, Vader definetally knew Luke was his son....he prolly found out (or at least thought about it) During the battle of Yavin, and sure he tried to shoot him down...he wanted to preserve the death star.....but when the met the second time the Death star was gone and a new one was being built...And Vader wanted Luke to Join him and they could overthrow the empire.....I think Vader knew who luke was as soon as he felt him through the force.

Not really. People call priests by their titles all the time, except that it's usually things like 'Father', 'Pastor' or 'Reverend'.

Not really. People call priests by their titles all the time, except that it's usually things like 'Father', 'Pastor' or 'Reverend'.
I agree with that. I don't see Obi Wan saying the name of an old friend....but rather calling him the new title he took on in disdain.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Certainly is a knife in the back of Lucas' "I've had it all planned since day one!" comments.

Of'course. Lucas was just able to cover up a lot f his fallacies. Like his smooth, "from a certain point of view" stuff in Empire Strikes Back. Anyone enlightened knows Vader wasn't originally meant to be Luke's father but Lucas changed it so quickly, he was able to get away with it. But there are people who realize this, among other things in the original, such as Grand Moff Tarkin holding a higher position and Vader answering to him as well as Tarkin being the one to mention the Emperor in A New Hope, suggesting he talks to him first hand. Vader was suppose to be the muscle of Tarkin. But again, I give George Lucas much credit for cleaning most of the things up thus making the original seem much different than what it was suppose to be in '77.

www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com Such an excellent site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"