The Force Awakens Star Wars VII Director? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Affleck will direct a Star Wars movie. I honestly don't get why all these studios are trying to get Affleck to direct these mega blockbuster movies like Justice League and Star Wars when it's blatantly obvious that he doesn't want to do these kind of movies.

I'm betting that Joss Whedon will end up directing one of the new films. He wants the job and would have jumped for the chance for Episode VII if it weren't for the Avengers 2.

This is definitely more likely. Whedon is Disney's golden boy right now.

Very surprised by this news, sad for the Star Trek franchise though.

I think ST will be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of folks capable of keeping it moving.

I'm betting that Joss Whedon will end up directing one of the new films. He wants the job and would have jumped for the chance for Episode VII if it weren't for the Avengers 2.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Not only does he love Star Wars, but he and Abrams are very friendly colleagues with a great deal of respect for one another (and share many mutual collaborators). They even did a Comic-Con panel together. I could see Whedon coming on board in a heartbeat once he finishes with the MCU Phase 2.

SO not worried about the Trek franchise. There are plenty of great candidates to take it over.

The only thing with Whedon is they need to tone down his "comedy" a little bit, and get a different DP. Because his films even The Avengers looked a little "made for TV" at times. Other than that ya I'd be fully on board with him doing Episode VIII or IX.

Boy, I've been monitoring these boards all day at work. Nothing! I go home and get on the computer and see like ten pages since I last looked!

My Reaction?

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

Since I am a HUGE fan of Star Wars and a HUGE fan of Lost, and I loved Star Trek (2009) and Super-8...

I am as shocked now as when they first announced Disney bought Lucasfilm and will make Episode VII in 2015!!

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

I think ST will be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of folks capable of keeping it moving.

I dunno, Abrams gave Trek the kick in the arse it so badly needed, it worries me now for that series if he's no longer a part of it in any capacity.

Well since he was obvious he was trying to do a star wars like film with Star Trek It's for best for him to actully do Star Wars and leave followup to Into Darkness for someone
who has real passion for Star Trek.

Since he got Leonard nimoy for Star Trek that bodes well for having veterns back for episode VII.

I just hope he has respect for all chapters of George Lucas' Star Wars.
I'm sure that all the Star Wars movies will be regarded as canon, but it's becoming more and more obvious that it's going to be more in tone with the Original Trilogy than the Prequel Trilogy.

How is Abrams being disloyal to Star Trek by directing Star Wars? He has directed two Star Trek films, despite not being a fan of the series, I don't begrudge him not coming back for a 3rd.

I'm sure that all the Star Wars movies will be regarded as canon, but it's becoming more and more obvious that it's going to be more in tone with the Original Trilogy than the Prequel Trilogy.

Thank the Gods.

It's hard to be upset with this choice. I think it's an incredibly safe and somewhat obvious choice, but its also a good one. The only surprise is that JJ Abrams (or his publicist) couldn't come up with a better lie for his earlier quote. That Spielberg pushed him is not surprising in the least, given their association. If it wasn't going to be Spielberg, it was probably going to be someone Spielberg wanted. The STAR TREK franchise, as much as it has benefitted JJ Abrams involvement, is bigger than his contributions, and it will survive and prosper.

The only thing with Whedon is they need to tone down his "comedy" a little bit, and get a different DP. Because his films even The Avengers looked a little "made for TV" at times. Other than that ya I'd be fully on board with him doing Episode VIII or IX.
Seamus McGarvey is a brilliant DP who shot Atonement and also the unbelievably gorgeous Anna Karenina this year. On no planet should he ever need to be replaced, imo.

You can forget Nolan doing a Star Wars film any time soon. He only works on film and does not use a Digital Intermediate. This franchise will be shot on digital and will be in 3D. Both requiring a DI and digital film. Also, Nolan has stated before that he likes to keep the VFX shots below 500. Good luck accomplishing that on a modern Star Wars film.

I know he would never. I was referring to his relationship with Jonah, his Co-Exec producer on Person of Interest. I highly doubt that will come into play either, seeing as they have a very talented writer with Michael Arndt on board. It's just interesting to note that he's got Jonah in his back pocket, who wrote Interstellar originally for Spielberg and who has been sought after to do uncredited script cleanups for some big budget Hollywood stuff.

Again I highly doubt any of that will matter here, but it's still just something that occurred to me.

On another note, I wonder how the hardcore Trekkies are taking this news...

Seamus McGarvey is a brilliant DP who shot Atonement and also the unbelievably gorgeous Anna Karenina this year. On no planet should he ever need to be replaced, imo.

Well then he needs to work on his Sci-Fi stuff. Because I felt that it was not the best at times. But to eaches own.

Good Lord, Michael Arndt writing AND Abrams directing... could the pedigree for this thing get any better? Me = :yay:

How is Abrams being disloyal to Star Trek by directing Star Wars? He has directed two Star Trek films, despite not being a fan of the series, I don't begrudge him not coming back for a 3rd.

I find it weird that he accepted the job after saying that he wouldn't because of his "loyalty" to his Trek franchise. I guess they offered him more money and he accepted.

I find it weird that he accepted the job after saying that he wouldn't because of his "loyalty" to his Trek franchise. I guess they offered him more money and he accepted.

That and when a man like Speilberg tells you (JJ) that you're the right man for the job, you don't say no...

I'm fully on board with this J.J. Abrams news. In fact, I'm hoping he brings on Josh Holloway as either a smuggler or bounty hunter with a penchant for nicknames. :o

That and when a man like Speilberg tells you (JJ) that you're the right man for the job, you don't say no...

Some are acting like (especially with JJ) that his arm needed twisting to do Star Wars no that would be the case if they said hey you want to make a My Little Ponies movie? Not Star Wars. Talk is cheap, he of course was going to deny anything during talks some look too deeply into that.

So not only Spielberg, but to be asked to be the first person in 30 years other than Lucas to direct a well known/loved Franchise I'm sure it would not be really hard to persuade him.

For once I agree with The Guard, it's a safe choice but also a very good choice, JJ has shown he has the knack for bringing classic sci fi franchises into the modern arena, and while he had more to do with Star Trek in that regard I think he will do a fantastic job with Episode VII.

My sister said something to me after I said the same thing, she said; "Maybe he just changed his mind?"

Well, there's nothing stopping him from being involved with both. I think old lines of this franchise vs that franchise need to start being removed, we're getting to the stage where people are being involved in multiple franchises, and that's not really a bad thing because we're seeing that the people involved tend to be very passinate about what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"