Story Talks Black Panther

Hi,

So we all know Fantastic Four 2 is all about the Silver Surfer. The movie is called "Rise of the Silver Surfer" and you know the studios are hoping FF2 does well so they can give the Surfer his own independent spin-off film.

So now Tim Story is talking about using the Black Panther in Fantastic Four 3. And this is another character Marvel wanted to make its own independent film of.

So is this what we can expect from the FF trilogy? Each sequel introduces a new character who the studios hope can launch their own spin-off film.

I understand that Silver Surfer and Black Panther had their roots in the FF comics of the past, but it seems kinda lame when the director never talks about the actually fantastic four (you know...thing, torch, mr. fantastic, invicible women...those guys) and he only talks about what major guest star is going to carry the entire film.

that would be like the Bryan Singer's Superman trilogy introducing Green Lantern in Superman Returns 2 and introducing Aquaman in Superman Returns 3. Is it a Superman movie or a Green Lantern movie? Is FF about the Silver Surfer/Black Panther or is it about the FF? I'm confused.

what do you think?

Greg

I think the F4 comic series has alot of interesting characters to work with, and these are just 2 of many....

I want to see the Black Panther! Either in the FF sequel or in his own film.

I hear that marvel is developing it for there Film studio.

So we all know Fantastic Four 2 is all about the Silver Surfer.

No. We don't.
From what I understand, the great majority of screen time is devoted to the FF. This movie isn't "about" the Silver Surfer any more than Spider-man 2 is "about" Doctor Octopus. The Surfer just happens to be a very popular character that fans have waited decades to see come to the screen. Bear in mind that the Silver Surfer, for the first 5 years of his existence, was a Fantastic Four character. So were the Inhumans. So was the Black Panther. It's entirely appropriate (and faithful to the source material) for them to be introduced to audiences in a Fantastic Four film.

I understand that Silver Surfer and Black Panther had their roots in the FF comics of the past, but it seems kinda lame when the director never talks about the actually fantastic four (you know...thing, torch, mr. fantastic, invicible women...those guys) and he only talks about what major guest star is going to carry the entire film.

that would be like the Bryan Singer's Superman trilogy introducing Green Lantern in Superman Returns 2 and introducing Aquaman in Superman Returns 3. Is it a Superman movie or a Green Lantern movie? Is FF about the Silver Surfer/Black Panther or is it about the FF? I'm confused.

It isn't at all like Superman introducing Green Lantern or Aquaman.

No comic book series in the history of the medium has introduced as many long-lasting and iconic characters as Fantastic Four. These characters were not intended to be spun off into individual series themselves; they were simply the best adversaries Stan Lee and Jack Kirby could come up with at the time. It's a testament to the greatness of the source material that so many enduring Marvel characters were inadvertantly birthed in the pages of FF.

Look around and you'll see that most of the long-time FF fans are enthusiastic about this franchise introducing these other great characters.
It's part of the Fantastic Four legacy.
And it doesn't diminish the core characters one bit.

I am pulling for the Inhumans in FF3. Black Panther does not need to be introduced in an FF movie. He can carry a movie himself. The Inhumans also stay more in the sci-fi realm the Silver Surfer is in better than the Black Panther does.

I just hope that FF2 is so good that they make a Fantastic Four 3! Although Black Panther would be great to see introduced in the FF world, I would truly love to see the Inhumans Saga. Here is the cast I would choose:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11655163#post11655163

I just hope FF2 is "about" the Surfer more than Spidey 3 was "about" Sand Man or Venom. Both of those icons got the short end of the stick and I would hate to see that happen to Surfer.

And not to nit pick, but the Surfer was an exclusive FF character for only about 2 years - from #48 [March '66] to #77 [August '68] - and by the time he got his own book [also August '68], he had been in the Hulk story in ASTONISH #93 [July '67].

the shapshifter in theUA movies WERE calledthe c'hitari:ninja:
Yeah they are also called that in the ultimate titles. In fact in Ultimate F4 they are refered to as the Skrulls and it's an offensive term to them.

No. We don't.
From what I understand, the great majority of screen time is devoted to the FF. This movie isn't "about" the Silver Surfer any more than Spider-man 2 is "about" Doctor Octopus. The Surfer just happens to be a very popular character that fans have waited decades to see come to the screen. Bear in mind that the Silver Surfer, for the first 5 years of his existence, was a Fantastic Four character. So were the Inhumans. So was the Black Panther. It's entirely appropriate (and faithful to the source material) for them to be introduced to audiences in a Fantastic Four film.

It isn't at all like Superman introducing Green Lantern or Aquaman.

No comic book series in the history of the medium has introduced as many long-lasting and iconic characters as Fantastic Four. These characters were not intended to be spun off into individual series themselves; they were simply the best adversaries Stan Lee and Jack Kirby could come up with at the time. It's a testament to the greatness of the source material that so many enduring Marvel characters were inadvertantly birthed in the pages of FF.

Look around and you'll see that most of the long-time FF fans are enthusiastic about this franchise introducing these other great characters.
It's part of the Fantastic Four legacy.
And it doesn't diminish the core characters one bit.

What he said!:cwink:

I just hope FF2 is "about" the Surfer more than Spidey 3 was "about" Sand Man or Venom. Both of those icons got the short end of the stick and I would hate to see that happen to Surfer.
Me, too. At least Doom is a character we already know, and it appears the Surfer is intended to remain somewhat mysterious, so I'm hoping we won't see the kind of half-baked (in my opinion) characterization that diminished both Sandman and Venom.
As I've talked to friends who've seen Spidey 3, the complaint I hear the most is that Sandman's deathly sick daughter is never seen or heard from again after her initial appearance.
I think if you removed the whole contrivance of Venom (who was shoehorned into the film at Avi Arad's insistence) along with those awful dark Spidey dance numbers, you'd have a much more solid film, something more like Spidey 2, with plenty of time remaining to flesh out Flint Marko's character and his daughter's dilemma.

And not to nit pick, but the Surfer was an exclusive FF character for only about 2 years - from #48 [March '66] to #77 [August '68] - and by the time he got his own book [also August '68], he had been in the Hulk story in ASTONISH #93 [July '67].

You're correct, of course.
I still think the Surfer is primarily a Fantastic Four character. It's the book that gave him birth, and his exclusive home for several years. Just as Galactus is first and foremost a foe of the Fantastic Four.

I am happy that the Surfer was introduced in the FF movie, just like he was in the comics, and I would LOVE for the same to happen with the Panther, the Inhumans, etc. Of course, it is unclear which of these secondary characters are owned by Fox and can be in an FF sequel. It would be a shame if the Inhumans were owned by others, preventing not only their inclusion in the FF but risking the Frightful Four as well [I still think they can get around Sandman in a satisfactory way].

This is why I have such high hopes for the MARVEL STUDIOS movies. Since they own Iron Man, Hulk, Ant Man, Thor, and Captain America; you can do solo movies with all these classic characters, and do an Avengers movie with out any compromises. Make Mine Marvel!

Replace Sandman with Hydro-Man is you wanted to.

I would like to know if FOX could use the Inhumans, as I think the Great Refuge would look great on the big screen. Also, they could use Black Bolt's voice in the climax.

chris wallace you asked me if i could link you to this thread here it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"