Story Talks Black Panther

A BP in FF3?? Lord No!!!! Not at FOX, good god Marvel do not give FOX the rites to BP. Story has not proven himself a capable director for this type of material. i like Story, but he's just there to direct the film at FOX, the suits call the shots and they would destroy the BP character. FOX would have him if they had the rites for a solo film fight crime in the US in the hood. The villian would be some drug lord, who also happens to me a mutant or get super powers some way.

BP would be good if introduced in a quality FF film, but as long as FOX is at the helm he needs to stay in the comics or his rites stay with marvel or Universal(who i read is supposed to have them).

A Black Panther spin off would make less money than an independent origin movie.

less money = no sequels

:huh: The Black Panther is not a very well-known character outside of comics fandom. I don't think there are hordes of fans holding their breath for a Panther film. So I think an appearance in one of the big franchises (FF, X-Men, Spider-man) would only help a Panther film.

The proposed Silver Surfer movie will do much better because of his appearance in FF2;the audience is already invested in his character and will be more willing to spend time in his world. Same would hold true for Black Panther.

But if I'm not mistaken, FF2 is the first time a major franchise has been used as a potential launch pad for another franchise. So I really don't see how one could reach any conclusion on the pros and cons of this.

If the Panther had been in Spider-man 3, you can't tell me the public wouldn't turn out in greater numbers to see his solo film.

more like Hell no to Snipes.:trans:

yeah snipes is probably not a good choice if they want to do a franchise but who else can provide the kind of action moves that Wesley has.

Djimon? I doubt.

A BP in FF3?? Lord No!!!! Not at FOX, good god Marvel do not give FOX the rites to BP. Story has not proven himself a capable director for this type of material. i like Story, but he's just there to direct the film at FOX, the suits call the shots and they would destroy the BP character. FOX would have him if they had the rites for a solo film fight crime in the US in the hood. The villian would be some drug lord, who also happens to me a mutant or get super powers some way.

BP would be good if introduced in a quality FF film, but as long as FOX is at the helm he needs to stay in the comics or his rites stay with marvel or Universal(who i read is supposed to have them).

I would not want to see a watered-down Panther film.
But the jury's not even out yet on FF2. Let's see how the Surfer fares making his debut in this way.

Actually unless Will Smith plays BP, we can still kiss a big budget BP movie goodbye. No studio is going to toss a 100 million into a BP movie with a supporting actor. I love and respect Djimon Hounsou but the guy, while a good actor is a supporting character. He hasn't proved to be able to carry an entire film money wise with him as the lead. Actually no black actor of the right age for BP is popular enough where a studio is going to shell out a 100 million plus budget except Will Smith. Any other black actor for BP and the studio will probably go 30-40 million tops.

We keep going down these casting and budget roads and a few names are good, but realistically only one black actor is massivly bankable and that's Smith. I already know about Denzil, but he can't match smith's earning power at the box office. Don't get me wrong, Smith isn't right for the role, but if it means getting a quality BP movie with the tenchnological wonder that is Wakanda then I'll accept Smith.
Wesley Snipes is not exactly Will Smith. He was never in a movie that made more 105 million WW, that is until Blade. The first Blade made 131 million and Blade 2 made 151 million WW.

Keep in mind these weren't pg-13 superhero movies. They were R-rated vampire movies aimed at adults. Vampire action movies rarely make over 100 million, regardless of the skin color of the hero. A pg-13 superhero movie will be seen by teenagers and families from all over the world. The average pg-13 superhero movie makes 175 million in the united states alone. The average r-rated vampire action movie makes less than 60 million. Knowing this, a Black Panther budget should be much higher than the 61 million budget for Blade 2.

You can't assume a non-Will Smith action movie will fail at the box office. Hollywood has never made an honest attempt to do a quality pg-13 black superhero movie aimed at general audiences. Blade proved that if a movie is well done and marketed well, it can out gross it's counterparts regardless of skin color.

And Will Smith is completely wrong for Black Panther for so many reasons. I'd prefer no Black Panther movie at all than watch Hollywood butcher the character.

Tim Story directing Black Panther? I assume he'll cast a white guy...

Actually unless Will Smith plays BP, we can still kiss a big budget BP movie goodbye. No studio is going to toss a 100 million into a BP movie with a supporting actor. I love and respect Djimon Hounsou but the guy, while a good actor is a supporting character. He hasn't proved to be able to carry an entire film money wise with him as the lead. Actually no black actor of the right age for BP is popular enough where a studio is going to shell out a 100 million plus budget except Will Smith. Any other black actor for BP and the studio will probably go 30-40 million tops.

We keep going down these casting and budget roads and a few names are good, but realistically only one black actor is massivly bankable and that's Smith. I already know about Denzil, but he can't match smith's earning power at the box office. Don't get me wrong, Smith isn't right for the role, but if it means getting a quality BP movie with the tenchnological wonder that is Wakanda then I'll accept Smith.

Will Smith as T'Challa? Oh hay-ell naw.

Djimon is perfect for the role. And we don't have to have a big name playing T'Challa necessarily--we need a good actor. Now, to add further credibility to the production I agree they'd want a star. So I can see them casting a Will Smith/Denzel/Big Name as the antagonist in the film opposite Djimon (think Gene Hackman opposite new-comer-at-the-time Christopher Reeve).

That's all you need. Oh, and by the way: I hope you haven't forgotten the fact that Djimon is an Oscar-Nominated actor himself--the boy has chops.

But if I'm not mistaken, FF2 is the first time a major franchise has been used as a potential launch pad for another franchise. So I really don't see how one could reach any conclusion on the pros and cons of this.

Hmmm. Actually Malus, I'd say that the X-Men series is the first official "launch pad" for new franchises. After all Wolverine and Magneto are coming soon--and they have directors and writers attached now.

launch t'challa via the ff franchise

Although the BP does have an interesting origin that could play out well on screen, I would really like to see more focus on the FF fighting some kick-a** villians in the next installment. You don't have to look far to find great stories or characters, come on!

Hmmm. Actually Malus, I'd say that the X-Men series is the first official "launch pad" for new franchises. After all Wolverine and Magneto are coming soon--and they have directors and writers attached now.

Well...Maybe it's splitting hairs, but both Wolverine and Magneto are integral parts of the X-Men property and have appeared in all three films.
Their movies will be more like expansions on the existing franchise.

Okay, it's almost the same, but it's also different. :dry:

I think the difference being that the Wolverine and Magneto spinoff movies were considered only after both characters were introduced in the first movie. They were so well received by the audience, especially Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine, that they came up with the idea of spinning them off.

With the Silver Surfer, they're introducing the character with the intent of possibly spinning him off into his own movie.

Djimon Hounsou would be a PERFECT Tchalla.

But I don't want Fox nor Story getting it.

I think the Black Panther deserves to be treated like Spiderman or to get something like this incredible work they're making with Ironman.

Wesley Snipes is not exactly Will Smith. He was never in a movie that made more 105 million WW, that is until Blade. The first Blade made 131 million and Blade 2 made 151 million WW.

Keep in mind these weren't pg-13 superhero movies. They were R-rated vampire movies aimed at adults. Vampire action movies rarely make over 100 million, regardless of the skin color of the hero. A pg-13 superhero movie will be seen by teenagers and families from all over the world. The average pg-13 superhero movie makes 175 million in the united states alone. The average r-rated vampire action movie makes less than 60 million. Knowing this, a Black Panther budget should be much higher than the 61 million budget for Blade 2.

You can't assume a non-Will Smith action movie will fail at the box office. Hollywood has never made an honest attempt to do a quality pg-13 black superhero movie aimed at general audiences. Blade proved that if a movie is well done and marketed well, it can out gross it's counterparts regardless of skin color.

And Will Smith is completely wrong for Black Panther for so many reasons. I'd prefer no Black Panther movie at all than watch Hollywood butcher the character.

Agreed, but i didn't say that i wanted Smith for he role, he is not him. As for the Hollywood shelling out a decent budget with a non bankable Black lead isn't going to happen. could it work? Yeah, but the suits will consider it to risky. Snipes was a well enough known actor before the blade movies. Also Snipes's Blade films making 130 and 151 million ww isn't good according to a studio who will finance the film for a 100 million. When a studio spends 100 million they'll want those number and better domistically.

Will Smith as T'Challa? Oh hay-ell naw.

Djimon is perfect for the role. And we don't have to have a big name playing T'Challa necessarily--we need a good actor. Now, to add further credibility to the production I agree they'd want a star. So I can see them casting a Will Smith/Denzel/Big Name as the antagonist in the film opposite Djimon (think Gene Hackman opposite new-comer-at-the-time Christopher Reeve).

That's all you need. Oh, and by the way: I hope you haven't forgotten the fact that Djimon is an Oscar-Nominated actor himself--the boy has chops.

Hey I think Smith is wrong as well, but no studio is going to make a quality BP film with Djimon no matter how good he is, who i think is great by the way and never critisized his talents.

If a BP film doesn't actually manage to get off the ground and as long as FOX, Story, Reginald Hudlin and John Singleton aren't involved I'll be happy to a degree.

Hey I think Smith is wrong as well, but no studio is going to make a quality BP film with Djimon no matter how good he is, who i think is great by the way and never critisized his talents.

If a BP film doesn't actually manage to get off the ground and as long as FOX, Story, Reginald Hudlin and John Singleton aren't involved I'll be happy to a degree.

Well I think after FF2 we can talk about Story but we can't write him off based solely on what he did with FF1 and I think he was faithful for the most part with that film and the director's cut will help solidify his pedigree I think.

Will Smith is always Will Smith. He takes me out of the moment sometimes.

Can't we find an unknown like Singer did with Routh. We need new blood, and someone who can move and fight. Djimon fits the build but wesley kicks butt with his fighting style. There may never be another like him.

I am still hoping for a final Blade sendoff to erase the fiasco that was Blade Trinity.

New Line owes us big time, after foisting reynolds and Jessica Bile ....umm Biel on us. Maybe they should do a Black Panther film. They did a good blade.

Well I think after FF2 we can talk about Story but we can't write him off based solely on what he did with FF1 and I think he was faithful for the most part with that film and the director's cut will help solidify his pedigree I think.

Will Smith is always Will Smith. He takes me out of the moment sometimes.

Can't we find an unknown like Singer did with Routh. We need new blood, and someone who can move and fight. Djimon fits the build but wesley kicks butt with his fighting style. There may never be another like him.

I am still hoping for a final Blade sendoff to erase the fiasco that was Blade Trinity.

New Line owes us big time, after foisting reynolds and Jessica Bile ....umm Biel on us. Maybe they should do a Black Panther film. They did a good blade.

HG, I'm ashamed of you.....................:o ..................................bad boy!.....go sit in the corner.

First of all, I think what everyone needs to realize is a big hollywood movie doesn't mean that it has to cost $200,000,000 to make, it's not as if a movie has to be a $20,000,000 limited scale production or a $200,000,000 epic, there's a whole hell of a lot numbers between 20 million and 200 million. So while they might not be interested in a insanely huge production with a somewhat lesser known actor. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't put that same actor in say, a $50-60 million dollar movie, especially if the main character had the benefit of previously piggy-backing on a big Hollywood blockbuster

Secondly, remember that Black Panther wouldn't be the ONLY character in this theoretical BP movie, there would be plenty of supporting character inlcuding a villain, and any of those roles could be filled with big draw actors, hell since Fox owns the X-men film franchise there's even a possibility Halle Berry could reprise her role as Storm and serve as BP love interest.

Finally, I don't think Marvel is too keen on giving out the exclusive film rights for their characters anymore, and are focused on producing what they can themselves. So if this did happen it would be more of a joint venture between Fox and Marvel, and Marvel has shown so far that they are very careful about who they cast in their roles.

Show a little faith.

I know this belongs in sequels Kel but i thought i'd put it here as the sequel section sees less action than Doglips:oldrazz:
Story recently told the LA Times, "I've got to tell you, to get the Fantastic Four and turn it into a franchise, the first thing I thought was, 'Will I get the Silver Surfer'? Or someone like Black Panther, who was introduced in their book, get Djimon Hounsou and go do it?' But there are so many other great villains and stories - I feel like I hit the jackpot."

Djimon Hounsou would be perfect! I never thought of that. I've been waiting for Wesley to get to it because I think he'd be great but it never occured to me until now this new possibility. That's is a great casting choice.

The real problem with Wesley Snipes, other than the fact that he already played Blade, is that we probably won't be seeing much of him for the next 16 years or so.

I think Michael Jai white would make a good BP but he hasnt done anything too big so he's probably out of the question!!

HG, I'm ashamed of you.....................:o ..................................bad boy!.....go sit in the corner.

What, what did I say?

Oh I insulted Biel. Ok it was not her fault that they tried to steal Wesley's thunder and give it to her and Reynolds so that they could do a spinoff.

The fault lies with Goyer. I just had a hard time believing she could hang with vampires that move so fast you can barely see them coming.

Sorry Biel, I should not have called you Bile. That was low and I am ashamed :o but I just can't get the taste of Blade Trinity out of my mouth.

I will try to be good, and to forget about Blade Trinity.:csad:

[Edit] Is it just me or did anyone else really enjoy Reynolds getting the snot kicked out of him. It seemed somehow fitting in that movie. I was very conflicted, after all that Snipes had said I found myself sort of rooting for the badguys.

I think Story should worry about this movie first before he can think about a sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"