• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The 2012 Iowa Republican Presidential Debate And Ames Straw Poll

I haven't watched a minute of this... :O

Ron Paul does sound crazy....I'm trying to give him benefit of doubt, but his meandering rants sound really crazy.

Hunstman shot himself in this debate. He has given no compelling reason for people to consider his campaign.

Buuttt but he speaks fluent Mandarin and seems like a mr beta man nice guy :awesome:

Santorum has given a more passionate and compelling performance than before, but I don't think theocracy is the solution for our problems.

Gingrich has done a good job defending himself against pundit attacks, but he hasn't given a compelling reason to vote for him....he comes across too angry.

Santorum has given a more passionate and compelling performance than before, but I don't think theocracy is the solution for our problems.

Gingrich has done a good job defending himself against pundit attacks, but he hasn't given a compelling reason to vote for him....he comes across too angry.
He is fat, old and a career politico. Seems like he fits the bill. Did wonders for McCain

Paul had some good ideas, but he needs a more mainstream person making that argument...where is Gary Johnson?

Johnson is even less mainstream than Paul.

Johnson is even less mainstream than Paul.

Eh, yes and no. Paul behaves more like a mainstream Republican in his conservative morals and loveable Grandfather look, but Paul's political views are much more mainstream.

I think Sentinel was talking more about charisma than anything, but over the last year I think Paul has typically been more charismatic than Johnson.

Pawlenty and Bachmann are tearing each other to shreds. It's enjoyable to watch.

I didn't watch the debate, but when you said this I couldn't help but smile at this exchange that popped in my head:

TPAW: C'mon does SHE really look like presidential material? Ms. Crazy Eyes?!

BACHMANN: At least I have the balls to say what I mean and do what I say.

TPAW: We all know you're used to wearing the pants. Look at your bride, er....

BACHMANN: I'm a Congresswoman who carries on the ideals of our Founding Fathers like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Davy Crockett and Johnny Tremain.

TPAW: ...........

If only, if only.

Last edited:
Yeah, asides from his first stupid ass answer, the rest of them have been rather good, especially in regards to how dumb the Super Congress is. Especially since Pelosi filled her positions with her cronies.

Not that I expect level headed choices from Boehner and Cantor....

anyway, on topic this is what Newt's been waiting for. He thinks if he can just go to debates he'll impress everyone with his pseudo-itellectualism (and BS rationalization machine) and win the nomination by being the smartest man in the room. He seems to forget that most voters vote on how much they like someone and threw away whatever slim, remote, decimal sized chance he had months ago.

I suppose I agree Paul is technically more charismatic than Johnson, but I think Johnson's platform seems more reasonable and Johnson doesn't meander around angrily when answering questions. Paul needs to stop doing that.

Boehner didn't fill his positions with cronies? Reid didn't? Droopy didn't?

:doom: :doom: :doom:

McConnell, Boehner, and Reid took it a lot more seriously.

Boehner and Cantor filled their positions with members who are associated with financial committees. Jeb Hensarling was a part of the the Simpson-Bowles Deficit Reduction Committee and Vice-Chairman of Committee on Financial Services. Dave Camp is the Chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means. Fred Upton worked in the Office of Management and Budget. The only high ranking Republican here is Jeb Hensarling.

McConnell did the same. Jon Kyl serves in the Committee on Finance. Rob Portman served as Director of the Office of Management and Budgetr. And Pat Toomey is a member of the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs and Committee on the Budget. The only high ranking Republican here is Jon Kyl.

Reid also did the same. Max Baucus is Chairman of both the Joint Committee on Taxation and Committee on Finance. Patty Murray is on the Committee on the Budget. John Kerry served on the Committee on Finance. The only high ranking Democrat here is Patty Murray.

Pelosi on the other hand filled it with nothing but Democratic leaders within the House. Jim Clyburn really hasn't served on a financial committee, he's just the #3 guy within the Democrats in the House. And while Christopher van Hollen and Xavier Becerra are ranking members on financial committees, I find it deeply disturbing that Pelosi filled her positions with the Assistant Minority Leader, the Democratic Caucus Vice-Chairman, and someone who is also considered to be an adjunct member of the House Democratic leadership.

Huntsman is really pissing me off. He should be ashamed of himself and his first answer "we just joined the campaign a month and half ago." I'm sorry, if you run for President, you need to have a sense of urgency.

I didn't watch the debate, but when you said this I couldn't help but smile at this exchange that popped in my head:

TPAW: C'mon does SHE really look like presidential material? Ms. Crazy Eyes?!

BACHMANN: At least I have the balls to say what I mean and do what I say.

TPAW: We all know you're used to wearing the pants. Look at your bride, er....

BACHMANN: I'm a Congresswoman who carries on the ideals of our Founding Fathers like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Davy Crockett and Johnny Tremain.

TPAW: ...........

If only, if only.

It was even better than that :awesome:.

Huntsman? He the ex gov of Utah? He seemed okay from what I saw..then I got a headache and watched Melissa & Joey on DVR. I'll YouTube the people I wanna see...mostly Paul.

Yes, Gary Johnson needs to be running in this debate.

Yes, Bachman is kinda hot.

Yes, I was saddened to learn the Utah Gov is Mormon like Romney...I view Mormon as fake, but not as fake as the Tom Cruise religion.

WTF? You're seriously going to go after the faith of Huntsman and Romney.

Romney looked pretty presidential...he gave some iffy answers, but he secured the moderate/independent/statesman wing of the Republican Party. Nobody took him out, although Pawlenty tried. I suppose he was the winner of this debate.

Bachmann came in second place.

Cain was bit disappointing..he seemed more scripted and slightly unprepared than usual. I'll still keep an eye out for him.

Huntsman was the biggest loser tonight.

Santorum was pretty lively..but there's absolutely nothing he can do to get the nomination, but I admire his tenacity.

Yes, I was saddened to learn the Utah Gov is Mormon like Romney...I view Mormon as fake, but not as fake as the Tom Cruise religion.

I'm not a Mormon, but I have to roll my eyes when I read stuff like that in 2011. People need to be more accepting of religions that are not their own. It's not like either Huntsman or Romney will pass a law forcing everyone to wear thermal underwear.

Ron Paul does sound crazy....I'm trying to give him benefit of doubt, but his meandering rants sound really crazy.

Hunstman shot himself in this debate. He has given no compelling reason for people to consider his campaign.

That is why Ron Paul will never win...he comes off as a bit of a crazy old man and some of his devout followers are fringe and crazy. He has some great ideas though but he needs to tone it down a bit. He's a very smart man.

I watched the entire debate and have come to the conclusion that Ron Paul made the most sense (though he came off a little crazy in the way he explained things). If I had to choose one of these candidates, it would be Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"