The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 5

Is there anyone here who disliked Gwen as a character?

You're not alone, but people are allowed to hate it more than "insert universally hated thing here" if they want to

Never said they couldn't my friend. The comparing just can get to be a bit much, is comparing expected? Sure, but sometimes it's overboard. We could easily sit here too and nitpick to death the Raimi films and point out all the negatives, and those posters wouldn't like that either. Basically it's a vicious cycle, oh well.

We're allowed to like both franchises equally right? They're all spiderman films! I loved some parts of the Raimi films and I loved some parts of the Webb films, if you combined them you'd get the perfect Spiderman movie.

Not really.

Only thing that would really get me would have to be her fierce determination to do what she wants.

But…that's not really something you'd knock a woman for per se. Its actually quite admirable.

You know, I was about to compare her to MJ but we just completed that conversation about how that's bad.

I didn't think she strung peter along at all. At least in some kind of manipulative, malicious way

Never said they couldn't my friend. The comparing just can get to be a bit much, is comparing expected? Sure, but sometimes it's overboard. We could easily sit here too and nitpick to death the Raimi films and point out all the negatives, and those posters wouldn't like that either. Basically it's a vicious cycle, oh well.

Explain how people have taken the comparisons too far. What exactly makes them overboard?

And for the record, I think it's safe to say at this point that fans of the Raimi franchise have been through all of the criticisms of those movies and would agree with many of them.

From GG's costume, to MJ as a character, to the damn near entirety of Spider-Man 3, I'd say they're pretty reasonable when it comes to admitting the flaws of those films. With this movie, on the other hand, I'm seeing Electro and Rhino being celebrated, with many of the more glaring issues being defended to the hilt. It's either that or start a smear campaign complaining about all the evil Raimi fanboys. Pick your poison, but you're the only one being unreasonable right now.

You know, I was about to compare her to MJ but we just completed that conversation about how that's bad.

I didn't think she strung peter along at all. At least in some kind of manipulative, malicious way
"I break up with you."

Calls him for a not-a-date, that is nothing but flirting. :hehe:

Not really.

Only thing that would really get me would have to be her fierce determination to do what she wants.

But…that's not really something you'd knock a woman for per se. Its actually quite admirable.
I like her fierce determination. I think they went a little over the top with the "it's my choice" during the Electro fight, but that is one of the things they kept from the first film that I really liked.

Explain how people have taken the comparisons too far. What exactly makes them overboard?

And for the record, I think it's safe to say at this point that fans of the Raimi franchise have been through all of the criticisms of those movies and would agree with many of them.

From GG's costume, to MJ as a character, to the damn near entirety of Spider-Man 3, I'd say they're pretty reasonable when it comes to admitting the flaws of those films. With this movie, on the other hand, I'm seeing Electro and Rhino being celebrated, with many of the more glaring issues being defended to the hilt. It's either that or start a smear campaign complaining about all the evil Raimi fanboys. Pick your poison, but you're the only one being unreasonable right now.

Hahaha whatever dude. For the record I love SM1&2. Hate 3. I know there are some who love 3 and that's fine, just like I love ASM2 and others hate it. I just never get the comparing non sense. If there's something you don't like fine, but don't keep going on and on and on about it.

If you feel that S1 did a better job with a Goblin then ASM2 then guess what? That film is still there for you to watch and enjoy. I don't get why people waste so much time complaining or discussing something they hate. Is this a discussion forum to voice your opinion? Yep, but I never grasp the need to constantly log in and go discuss something you hate or despise. There a lot of sections and forums on the hype.

If you log in wouldn't you rather go to a thread to discuss something you enjoy? Rather then talk about something you hate? It's just common sense. It's too ****ing late to get into this nonsense it's 3 am. I'm done with this back and forth. I loved the movie. I said my thoughts, that is all.

"I break up with you."

I like her fierce determination. I think they went a little over the top with the "it's my choice" during the Electro fight, but that is one of the things they kept from the first film that I really liked.

Peter started the flirting :) Probably intended as a not-a-date, but their love changed that. Also I realised I'm just going to use the love excuse for everything, so it's probably better to agree to disagree :)

I heard that focus groups thought she was forced there so they decided to make it really obvious that it was her own choice

"I break up with you."

I actually disagree with you about Gwen stringing Peter along. I think it was the other way around. She broke up with Peter after he did the same to her countless times (and one of those times was shown in the first TASM movie). You can only do that to a girl so many before she reaches her breaking point.

Plus, Gwen was doing a decent thing by calling him for the non-date to tell him about Oxford. Peter was flirting up a storm with her from the get-go.

I think the "It's my choice" line was pretty bad, because it wasn't subtle at all. It was also very obvious foreshadowing, along with Peter repeating that "it's too dangerous." I do like Gwen's proactive nature in these films though.

Well, I finally saw the film in all its glory and here's what I have to say about it....

Honestly, I was expecting something a lot more worse considering all of the bad reviews that people were giving it here and, overall, on the web.

Granted, some of the criticisms that people have with the film are well justified, I don't think the film was as bad as some are making it out to be.

Well, here are the PROS for the film, in my honest opinion that is:

1. As everyone here as already said, the chemistry between Peter and Gwen were just off the charts. It doesn't take a genius to know on why Peter is in love with Gwen The amount of appeal that Gwen has is something that was sorely missed in Kirstin's version of MJ. And given on how liable the character is, along with how well received her relationship with Peter is as well, it succeeds to make people actually give a damn when Gwen tragically dies, unlike Rachel Dawes.

2. Unlike others, I actually LOVED Electro's theme music. I thought it was very badass, especially when it was playing in the background during the fight scenes at Times Square and at the Power Plant, and it felt very fitting for the scene where Harry and Electro joined forces with each other.

3. Speaking of Harry, minus the presentation and usage of his "Goblin" persona, I thought Harry's character in general was well executed. The actor gave, in what I believe to be, a brilliant performance for the material that he had to work with and definitely gave off a more sinister vibe than Franco's Harry as well. And I also did feel sympathetic towards his character, before he killed Gwen that is, because you could really feel and buy into his desperation in wanting to find a cure and avoid suffering the same fate as his dad. Plus, you could also see on how isolated and lonely the guy was given on how he had grown up with no one to really be there for him emotionally after he had been sent away to boarding school.

3. I really liked on how this film is perhaps the first film within any Spider-Man franchise, to present a real "organized crime" element as well. In previous films, most of the criminals that we saw were either just petty crooks and thugs, with the main villains just being mainly scientists having gone through a terrible accident.

4. The visuals were just Phenomenal for this film. Some of the best that I've seen in any comic book film period.

Now, for the CONS that I had with the film...

1. My god, what in the blue hell were they thinking with their presentation of Rhino? Seriously, he's like the most cliche villain/criminal that you could possibly get within any film period and I could barely understand a thing that was coming out of his mouth. Not once did he come off as "menacing" or "threatening" in any of the scenes that he was in.

2. I felt like this film really needed to give Peter a more clear and solid arc of his own. As others have said, his actions were just all over the place. Heck, I didn't even understand on why he suddenly decided to make that Graph Chart on his wall since there wasn't anything that took place before it that justified in him wanting to suddenly investigate into Oscorp.

3. Did anyone else feel like Andrew's British accent really came out during his graduation scene? I mean I felt like it was as though Andrew had forgotten that he was playing a American character who grew up in NYC.

4. The Camera movement for the scene involving Richard Parker fighting with the crooked pilot was really shaky and made it hard to see on what was going on at times.

5. I really didn't like on how Uncle Ben is really becoming more of a afterthought to Peter in this franchise when compared to previous takes.

6. Also, I feel like the so called "Untold Story" of Peter's Parents could have all been told in the first one, instead of dragging it out till here where a person wouldn't have to watch the last film to understand on what went down with them in this one.

7. I feel like Harry should have done a lot more as Goblin. I mean with the way he was used as Goblin in this film, it's really apparent that he only became the Goblin in this film because they wanted to do the "Death of Gwen" story line. I also didn't like on how easily Spider-Man was able to beat him.

8. Peter should have been given a more clear cut arc. Despite all the flaws that Raimi's three Spider-Man films had, they all at least had a clear cut story to tell when it came to Peter's journey for each film, which is something that I can't say for this one.

That's all I can pretty much think of at the moment.lol

I actually disagree with you about Gwen stringing Peter along. I think it was the other way around. She broke up with Peter after he did the same to her countless times (and one of those times was shown in the first TASM movie). You can only do that to a girl so many before she reaches her breaking point.

Plus, Gwen was doing a decent thing by calling him for the non-date to tell him about Oxford. Peter was flirting up a storm with her from the get-go.

I think the "It's my choice" line was pretty bad, because it wasn't subtle at all. It was also very obvious foreshadowing, along with Peter repeating that "it's too dangerous." I do like Gwen's proactive nature in these films though.

I liked Gwen alot and to honest, Stone's version was a lot closer MJ then Dunsts was. The only thing that annoyed me was the constant back and fourth break up stuff which reminded me very much of the last series flaw. The stuff I liked best about this film were the 500 Days of Summer / On Her Majestys Secret Service moments . The Batman forever and Marvel style attempts at world building was the stuff that was like an albatross around the whole film .

Just saw this.

Positives:

Several individual scenes are executed extremely well and are very compelling from a story/character standpoint. Certain points are really emotional and effective. These moments somehow make the movie worth it to me, and put it above something like Iron Man 2, which doesn't have much an emotional core. Loved the final scene, and all the stuff with Spidey as NYCs hero.

Great acting across the board.

Great swinging scenes, especially in IMAX 3D.

Great VFX, visual direction, etc.

Score is often awesome and heroic.

negatives:

Overall story is just a mess. I didn't think there were too many villains or too much setup, but rather just too many story-lines. What does the Parker parents story have to do with the Gwen story?

The Parker story was such a non-story too. May thinks that Richard may be guilty and Peter finds out that he's not. Great.

A big problem with the Electro story as that it doesn't mean anything. Immediately after taking care of Electro in Time Square, Peter continues his conversation about England. Electro's motivation doesn't mean anything to the other characters in any way, so what's the point of developing it?

Some of the comedy missed the mark.

Some of Electro and Goblin's dialogue was really cartoony at the end, and not in a good way (like I thought Rhino's was).

Hard to give a grade right now. Enjoyed it a lot, despite how it nowhere near met its potential.

Last edited:
I am thankfully a member of the "I loved it" squad. The acting and characters were really effing great in my opinion, Peter and Gwens chemistry was amazing, Garfield a Spiderman was amazing as expected, Jamie Foxx was a bit eh at sometimes but i really did love Electro in the end (he gave the best action ive seen any spidey villain give on film imo), Sally Fields was a totally human and loveable Aunt May, and i fell in love with Dehaan as Harry/Goblin, and i really thought i was gonna hate him. Granted he was only in it for a while, but it did not feel forced at all, it fit the story, and he really was a great, emotionally and logically driven character imo. The CGI and action was all spectacular, this movie is absolutely gorgeous. The hate its receiving is a shame, i really loved it and am SUPER excited for the rest of this universe to open up. As far as negatives, my only 2 big ones are the strange soundtrack and the at times jarring pacing, the way the script at times didnt seem to flow naturally. But to me that was saved by the performances and characters. Solid 9/10 imho.

Oh and i just wanted to add this because in theater it really pissed me off, that whole airplane part during the electro fight was the dumbest thing ive seen in a movie in a while. It added NOTHING to the movie and ended in the dumbest, cheesiest way possible. Me and the friends i was with honestly just broke out into laughter when they dodged eachother. Ridiculous. I was so happy the super intense Goblin scene followed right after to make up for it

Nice review GreySpider , yes that plane scene was ******ed they should of cut that crap out, regarding the " strange soundtrack choice " im going to guess it was that generic techno song out of Project X that was playing while Parker was testing the battery/web solution.Problay Max's theme aswell.

I went into the theater expecting a good, if not great, spider man movie. The theater was full of spider man fans, families, and boyfriends and girlfriends. The movie started and I was very excited because this movie looked amazing! The visuals looked amazing, the new suit looked amazing, electro looked cool, goblin and rhino looked ok I guess. This movie looked amazing... so imagine how I felt when I knew this was bad. Don't hate me for saying this, but I thought the movie was bad. Like spider man 3 it suffers from to many characters. Garfield and Stone have great chemistry and that is one of the good things about this movie besides the visuals, which are very well done. These 2 pros sadly cannot make up for the amount of cons this movie had. Too many characters, and cheesy dialogue are the main problems of this movie. I left the theater very disappointed. Superhero movies nowadays rarely disappoint me, and if they do disappoint me, none have disappointed me as much as this since Iron Man 3. Spider man 3 left me with a similar feeling. When you are so excited for a movie and it turns out to be bad, you'll leave the theater feeling disappointed and sometimes, sad. My verdict... 4/10

Last edited:
TASM 2 is aggressively stupid.

The main plot is a vomit inducing love story, turning TASM 2 into a chick flick. All of the villains are hammed up & cheesy, reminding me of Joel Schumacher's Batman. And the mystery involving Peter Parker's parents is totally nonsensical. TASM 2 was written with the IQ level of a concussed goldfish. Marc Webb became M. Webb Shyamalan here, turning this movie into The Amazing Spider-Man 2: The Last Web-Bender!

And several sites report that TASM 2 has a production budget of "$255 million and that somewhere between $180-190 million was spent on marketing." They spent $445 million on a poorly written, nonsensical cheese-fest filled with lousy CGI. With how film industry accounting works, TASM 2 needs to earn at least $800 million just to break even!!!

By the way, my hate for TASM 2 is inspired by my love for the source material. I grew up reading Spider-Man comics & he is my favorite superhero. I am as insulted by what Marc Webb has done to Spider-Man as I was by what Joel Schumacher did to Batman.

That sums it up quite well for me.

"TASM 2 is aggressively stupid."

Honestly should be the DVD/Blu-ray cover quote for this mess.

I really hate this film simply because I love the character so much.

I love the character just as much as you do and I loved the movie.

Whoa lol I'd say we've reached worst case scenario here people. Damn. Sony better be scrambling at this point, because the next film is going to have be something pretty attention grabbing to put Spidey back on top, or at least closer to the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"