• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else feel like that, in light of the franchises's two current films, it almost feels like Peter was written in a way where he's somewhat responsible (inadvertently) for most of the bad stuff that's taken place within the series?

1. He gives Doctor Connors the formula that would allow him to become the Lizard, and thus cause chaos throughout New York and ultimately kill Captain Stacy.

2. Because of...

his unwillingness to give Harry some of his blood in order to save his life, it was one of the factors that pushed Harry off the edge that led to him becoming the Goblin and thus further advancing the whole Sinister Six program

3. And it's because of Peter that...

that Gwen Dies

I mean the impression that I've gotten so far is that if Peter didn't become Spider-Man, let alone give Connors the missing formula, then Norman and Harry wouldn't have had the incentive to cause more chaos than they already have/did.

Anyone else feel like that, in light of the franchises's two current films, it almost feels like Peter was written in a way where he's somewhat responsible (inadvertently) for most of the bad stuff that's taken place within the series?

1. He gives Doctor Connors the formula that would allow him to become the Lizard, and thus cause chaos throughout New York and ultimately kill Captain Stacy.

2. Because of...

his unwillingness to give Harry some of his blood in order to save his life, it was one of the factors that pushed Harry off the edge that led to him becoming the Goblin and thus further advancing the whole Sinister Six program

that Gwen Dies

I mean the impression that I've gotten so far is that if Peter didn't become Spider-Man, let alone give Connors the missing formula, then Norman and Harry wouldn't have had the incentive to cause more chaos than they already have/did.

A lot of bad things probably wouldn't happen if a lot of our heroes didn't come about. Plain and simple haha.

A lot of bad things probably wouldn't happen if a lot of our heroes didn't come about. Plain and simple haha.

Meh..lol..good point...

1. Zod came to Earth because of Superman

2. Bane and Talia came to Gotham because of Batman

3. Loki's path towards darkness became about due to Odin's bad parenting skills and Thor's obnoxious behavior at the time

lol

2. Because of...

that Gwen Dies

Peter/Spider-Man is driven by guilt and stories that play into that enhance the character. The best Spider-Man stories have Spider-Man overcoming guilt to be the hero he can be. For example; The Juggernaut.

Meh..lol..good point...

1. Zod came to Earth because of Superman

2. Bane and Talia came to Gotham because of Batman

3. Loki's path towards darkness became about due to Odin's bad parenting skills and Thor's obnoxious behavior at the time

lol

Well as for #1, someone recently pointed it out and made a good point, Zod said he and his crew were going to planets that Kryptonians colonized that were formally inhabited(which includes Earth), so despite Clark speeding up the process and quite a bit of damage(understatement I know), they would have arrived to Earth sooner and later and if Clark wasn't there they would have either destroyed the Earth(Either searching for Kal-El or terraforming the "world engine" to transform Earth into a new Krypton) so with or without Superman the same thing would have happened, but at least Superman did a good part in stopping them so....

but yeah like spider-neil said guilt and stories that play into that enhance the character is a huge part of Spider-Man's character, heck some of things Ultimate and comics Peter do lead to terrible stuff happens and some cartoon incarnations of Spider-Man so at least it's being faithful like in Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon that Tombstone/Big Man and Norman Osborn had a hand of super criminals(Rhino, Sandman, Sinister Six, Doctor Octopus, etc) because of Spider-Man or a lot of the Ultimate super populace being created as a result in trying to create another Captain America/Super Soldier, etc.

Good points; has it ever been addressed in the comics as to whether some wondered if Spider-Man was more of a menace to NYC than a hero due to the amount of villains that he attracts to him or inadvertently creates?

Good points; has it ever been addressed in the comics as to whether some wondered if Spider-Man was more of a menace to NYC than a hero due to the amount of villains that he attracts to him or inadvertently creates?
I think J Jonah Jameson mention in a few comics ever now and again

a few comics explored that idea with different heroes

Ultimate Fantastic Four had the press ask Reed Richards that question in Ultimate Fantastic Four#21

Steve Rogers learning monsters like Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Electro, etc being created in order to make another Captain America in Ultimate Six(same with characters like Nuke, Mimic, the Liberators, etc in different Ultimate and 616 comics)

among other comics

A big part of me agrees with you about the ending.

Though I haven't seen it yet, I've read enough to get the gist, and I am worried about the tone of having her momentous death, and then things getting righted too quickly just before the credits. Your suggestion of how to handle it could have been a great solution.

However, I'm not sure the much of the masses would accept it. I worry there would be an avalanch of complaints about what a downer ending it is, maybe to the point where some audiences will swear off seeing the next film? Or it could have possibly been handled like The Empire Strikes Back, with somewhat of a cliffhanger/hopeful coda that suggests Spidey will be back but not showing it yet. I don't know, hard to say how it should best have been handled, but your scenario sounds extremely intriguing.

I appreciate it. When you see that death, you will be blown away by the fact they did it and how they showed it. It had me wide mouthed even after the film. But like you said, it felt it was righted very quick (even though the film had it over 5 months. Even so, the events felt very quick so me as an audience member didn't feel like I was allowed to greive).

This is why I like the ending to TASM more. You feel the weight of what happened as it takes time and then, at the end, leaves you 'hope', but you know it's a mistake which leads to the tragic end of TASM2.

And the tone of the film, yeah. I'm gutted the tone isn't similar to that of TASM.

But hey man, you may feel very different about if upon viewing it. You'll enjoy it :)

Last edited:
I appreciate it. When you see that death, you will be blown away by the fact they did it and how they showed it. It had me wide mouthed even after the film. But like you said, it felt it was righted very quick (even though the film had it over 5 months. Even so, the events felt very quick so me as an audience member didn't feel like I was allowed to greive).

This is why I like the ending to TASM more. You feel the weight of what happened as it takes time and then, at the end, leaves you 'hope', but you know it's a mistake which leads to the tragic end of TASM2.

But hey man, you may feel very different about if upon viewing it. You'll enjoy it :)

Fully expecting to enjoy it! :up: I've read enough on this board and seen enough enthusiastic reviews on Youtube to gain confidence that I'll be one happy Spider-Man fan come May 2.

Just wish I could speed up the calendar!

I still can't get the
death
scene out of my head...it was very powerful. It just didn't
need a goblin whatsoever. He was literally shoehorned in at the end to kill her, that's it.

Kafka. Followed by Max Dillon before his transformation.
I thought Kafka's performance was something I could normally get over, in terms of goofiness. What made that impossible however was the
accompanying classical music and camerawork where I was too 'up close' to his face so his exaggerated facial expressions looked even more ridiculous than they needed to be.

Saw it and loved it. I will sum it up by saying this film for me is what Spiderman 2 is to others. I never really liked Spiderman 2 like most did so yeah. I'll include my review in spoilers because it's kinda long.

Around the time Sam Raimi's Spiderman films came out, I was a kid, and not into anything comic book related. It wasn't until that I saw the Spiderman films that I became immersed in this world. Although I liked the movies, I never viewed the first two films with the same praise others give it. Spiderman 1 was just meh beyond the origin, and Spiderman 2 was a good film, but other than the train scene, it's not all that memorable for me. MJ was annoying as hell in this film, and the exact opposite off who MJ really was. Tobey was good in the role, but I felt more could've been done with the character. They only focused on the nerdy side of Peter, and his Spiderman was bland. I feel that Garfield has nailed both Peter and Spiderman. With that being said, I'm going to dive right into my review.

One of the many complaints about the first Amazing Spiderman film was that it didn't wrap up many of the plot elements it introduced. One of them being the myster of his parents. Well right off the bat, they fix this problem. The first scene deals with Peter's Parents dropping Peter off at Aunt May from Peter's dad perspective. We get to know why he did what he did. In the first film, I think they planned to stretch this arc out, but wasn't received well enough, so they just decided to wrap it up here, and I thought they did it perfectly.

The introduction to Aleksei Sytsevich, better known as the Rhino, was absolutely perfect. He was introduced in a classical spiderman fashion. Villain is on a run after stealing something, and a police chase ensues. This is where we get our first introduction to Spiderman and the new suit. What follows is Spiderman defeating Aleksei easily and humorously in a typical Spiderman manner. A perfect introduction to Spiderman.

What follows is their graduation. When Peter shows up late due to stopping Aleksei, he steps up to get his diploma and kisses Gwen in a way that just seems un Peter like. It's not a big problem, but that's just something I couldn't imagine him doing.

Also during the pursit of Aleksei, we get our first glimpse of Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon. He looks insane. He's a guy who pretty much is a loner, and doesn't feel respected, until Spiderman saves him. A little while later, we get to a scene where we see his newfound? obessesion with Spiderman. Now that was a bit wierd. Jamie did a good job in this film with Electro. Electro isn't some super complex who is all that interesting. He had no backstory, he was always a villain with cool powers. I feel that they captured that in the film.

A little while later, we get our first glimpse of Harry as he is seeing his dying father. Norman explains that his illness is hereditary, and that he was trying to find a cure. I kind of have mixed feelings as to them killing off Norman so soon. There's so much they could've done with Peter and Norman, but Deehans Goblin works fine for me.

There was a brief scene in the movie where Peter confronts his Aunt about the truth on what happened to his parents, and I felt that it was a powerful scene.

A little later, it is revealed that Harry is showing signs of the illness his father has. He calls up Peter because he knows that Peter takes pics of Spiderman and he wants Peter to try and contact him because he believes his blood is the cure for his illness.

At this point in the film, Peter is pretty much losing everything. He broke up with Gwen because he feels bad for not fulfilling the promise he made to her father and from not wantng to put her in danger. He's getting nowhere with his parents mystery, and now Harry is dying.

At an earlier point in the film when Electro first gets his, he is presumed dead. The CEO's blame his death on Harry. Harry found out what his dad has been working on. He finds the Goblen suit and the venom from the spiders that Richards were experimenting on. Little does Harry know is that the Spiders were infused with Richards DNA, and will only positively affect those that share his DNA. It is this that turns harry into the Goblin. I thought infusing the Spiders DNA with it only working with Richards DNA was a nice touch. It was an interesting explanation as to why it turns Harry into the Goblin, instead of it just not working on him the same way it worked on Peter.

Peter then finds why his dad left. He recieves a message from Gwen that she's accepting an job offer or some kind of offer to England. He professes his love for her, and they agree to both go to England together. Before that happens, Spiderman has to fight Electro who ia now working with Harry as they both have the same goal of capturing Spiderman. When Electro first appears earlier in the movie, he's defeated easily by Spiderman and Electro blames him for his arrest, and feels betrayed. Spiderman, along with Gwen, defeats Electro, and here come Harry.

With Harry spotting Spiderman and Gwen so close together, he assumes Spiderman is Peter. Harry believes he needed Spidermans blood to cure his illness, so he is now upset that his friend refused to give him what he needed to save his life. Harry grabs Gwen, and they fight on top of a clock tower. This is where the highlight of the film comes. Harry tosses Gwen and Peter lunges after her and they fall through the clocktower. Peter and Harry are fighting, Gwen is in the mix and she falls. Peter webs her up and she is now hanging onto his web. Meanwhile the Goblin and Spiderman are still fighting. Peter eventually gets the best of Harry, and it is then shown that the web that Gwen is hanging on snaps, and Spidey plunges to try and save her. Spiderman shoots a web, and it is too late as Gwen's head hits the floor, and you can hear her back snap I believe due to the way Peter grabs her.

Gwen's death hit hard. Holy Hell. I already was spoiled that it was going to happen, but it was still effective.

Following Gwens death, it has been five months since her death, and Peter has quit being Spiderman. Crime has gone up, and the public is missing Spiderman. We now go to Ravencroft, where we see Harry, looking okay, and the Man In The Shadows. They discuss that they want more trials now that Spiderman is gone. The first subject is Aleksei, whom they break out of prison. Now we move to Peter, who is in grief of Gwen's death. Like I said earlier, he quit being Spiderman. It is here where they replay Gwen's graduation speech from earlier, and it is placed well here. It goes something along the line "There will be dark days, days where you feel all alone, and that's when hope is needed the most...no matter what happens, you must allways keep hope." And that is what makes Peter suit back up. This is when we get our first glimpse of The Rhino. It is perfectly reasonable that he's introdcuced at this part of the film, even after something as heavy as Gwen's death.

Conclusion: I literally have zero major complaints for this film. Garfield nails Peter and Spiderman down perfectly IMO. My favorite aspect is the HUMOR. Whether you like the humor or not is unimportant. The fact is that it's there. Instead of the dry humor from the Raimi series, Garfield is out there with it, and to me, it's great and works perfectly. Emma Stone is also great in the film. I liked Easy A, but man she's great. The chemistry between the two is perfect, and as leads they beat Tobey and Kirsten in every way. Jamie Foxx does good as Electro. Aside from the one thing I mentioned earlier, he's a great addition to this film and does good with what he's given. Dane Deehan was great. I didn't think he could hold his own next to Jamie Foxx. People say that his turn to villainy was rushed, but yet, people seem to like Dafoe's Goblin and his death all in one film. His motivations are reasonable. He finds out he's dying so he tries to find a cure. He figures that Spiderman may hold this cure, so he tries to get it from him. When he figures out that his best friend is the one who refused to give him what he thought he needed, he snaps and feels betrayed. That, along with the Venom gone bad that he taken, is reason enough for him to turn bad in this film. The death scene was great. Simple as that. I already knew it was coming, yet it was still effective. I hate that Emma is gone, but she did great with the character, and she will be tough to follow. To end my review, I will say that this film satisfied me greatly. It wasn't as perfect for me as The Winter Soldier was, but I loved it. To me this is what Spiderman 2 is to others. This definitely goes in my top 5 CBM's of all time. Sorry for any bad grammar or whatever.

4.5 / 5

One of the many complaints about the first Amazing Spiderman film was that it didn't wrap up many of the plot elements it introduced. One of them being the myster of his parents. Well right off the bat, they fix this problem. The first scene deals with Peter's Parents dropping Peter off at Aunt May from Peter's dad perspective. We get to know why he did what he did. In the first film, I think they planned to stretch this arc out, but wasn't received well enough, so they just decided to wrap it up here, and I thought they did it perfectly.

Awesome review, a joy to read!

I do think that the parents sequence at the start made the first movie's 'Untold Story' premise completely redundant. Even if you've never seen TASM1, everything you need to know about its events both decades before and during the movie's storyline are all explained and wrapped up in TASM2.

Awesome review, a joy to read!

I do think that the parents sequence at the start made the first movie's 'Untold Story' premise completely redundant. Even if you've never seen TASM1, everything you need to know about its events both decades before and during the movie's storyline are all explained and wrapped up in TASM2.

Thank you. And yeah, from the marketing of the first film, they tried to promote the untold story heavily, and it kinda backfired. It was resolved well in this film though. I kinda wish that they were working on the venom suit together also. That would've been a great way of introducing that.

The amount of twisted people out there posting spoilers on the FB is ridiculous. I don't think I can recall a franchise which has garnered so much hate that people want to spoil it for those who haven't seen the movie. If you haven't seen the movie stay away from FB.

The genre does seem to attract a lot of people who take pleasure in spoiling it for others. They even posted screen grads of scenes. Thankfully I've already seen the movie.

Reasons why I loved this movie despite being overcrowed, having rushed character development and pacing problems;

1. Spider-Man.
For me, this is the very first time Spider-Man is an actual character.
He has a personality and doesn't just turn up to simply fight and then disappear again. The quips are fantastic as are the movement and gestures.
Spidey is hilarious in this movie. There is no need for Spidey to remove his mask because you can 'see' his mood through his acting.
If you fail in every aspect, at least get the main character right and there are a SEA of superhero movies that fails in it's primary (for me) task.

2. Chemistry.
The love and warm between Gwen and Peter is electric, at times you almost feel you are intruding on their love. It's warm and it's engaging.
When ba stuff starts happening I was feeling it for them in my gut because I cared what happened to them, something I most certainly didn't feel for Peter and MJ in SM3.
The chemistry between Peter and Harry is also heart felt and genuine.
Take the movie to task if you must but you can't knock the performances. Well, not unless you are desparate to pick holes at every aspect of this movie.

3. Action.
The action in this movie was incredible, absolutely JAW DROPPING. Add that to actually caring for the main protagonist and I was on the edge of my seat. This is happening to me (being on the edge of my seat) less and less when I watch action/superhero movies because I'm usually bored as I have no vested interested whether the characters live or die.

The abvoe reasons is why the comparisons to SM3, B&R and GL absolutely BAFFLE me.
The performances, main protagonist and action paper over a multitude of sins. The movie is flawed and spectacular in equal measure. I absolutely would take this movie over SM1 which has a tighter plot and ties (for me) with SM2 because SM2 has a tighter plot, and fanstastic action as well.

This movie as tons of heart and a lot of love has gone into this movie and I would take that any day over movies that pander to adults by trying to put as much distance between themselves and the superhero genre.
I get the critisism but this movie imho is greater than it's flaws.

Regardless of what he (or you) say, it is an opinion and not a fact.
For example, I could go into why TDK leaves plot threads danging, is overlong and characters change motivation on a whim but that is an opinion, not a fact.

And who in the hell claimed it to anything other than opinion. I never did. All I said was I felt the reviewer nailed the review and expressed an opinion similar to my own in a far better way than I could. I never went looking for it or posted it. I fact that's the first video of his I've ever seen

The people who compare it to b&r are being morons. But any review that doesn't kiss it's ass is being lumped in with them, I've said it many times on here it's a decent movie with some great bits but is hampered by some major problems. It's almost like if you didn't fully love the film it's like you personally offended people.

Last edited:
Quick pros and cons

Pros
1. Acting- All the actors give it their A-game. Garfield and Stone were made for their respective roles. DeHaan plays a different interpretation of Harry and pulls it off excellently. Foxx's Max was so-so(leaning on the good side), but his Electri was, dare I say, electrifying

2. Chemistry- I think Garfield and Stone have the best chemistry in all of CBM history. Maguire and Dunst don't hold a candle. This movie has a huge focus on Peter and Gwen and when
Gwen bites the dust
it hits hard.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died- Emotional, had tears forming and the performance of Garfield is fantastic.

4. Action- The fights aren't very long but they get intense. The Electro fights are visually spectacular and the power plant and clock tower fights have some high stakes.

5. Villains- I don't think the movie was overcrowded. I dont think the villains were bad. Rhino serves the role of showing Spidey get back in the game and to tease the S6. Electro never had an interesting back story and they did their best with that. His motivations were clear to me. He made the film visually spectacular. I got the best friend vibe they were going for with Peter and Harry. That made the Goblin fight even more tragic. Goblin has about 3.5 minutes of screen time but he's dangerous. Norman was looking a little sinister too ;) .

6. Establishment for future films- Some of the world-building is good in this film, some not. I enjoyed them adding in that Peter is sending Spidey pics to the Bugle. Hopefully, we see the team in TASM3

Cons

1. Throwaways- World-building isn't always great. I get the feeling that Smythe and Felicia were thrown in just to establish their existence without the intent of using them. Would hate to see them wasted.

2. Spider-Man shouldn't curse- It was minor but it caught me off guard. I know in the comics he does from time to time but kids watch the movies with this guy as their hero and role model. No swearing, Spidey :cmad:

When did Spidey curse? :O

Good to see you gave the movie a 10!

And the tone of the film, yeah. I'm gutted the tone isn't similar to that of TASM.

I think I'm one of the few people who really liked the tone ASM had, as well.

It was kinda sad to see ASM2 stray so far from the first movie in terms of tone, almost as if it'd forgotten where it came from.

I hope we'll get a mix of the two in ASM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"