The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - The ANIMATED SERIES is now set for 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJVv-pGvYY

Early holiday gift for Dread. An early trailer for the new Avengers animated series. Interesting that we can see this much when the show won't be out for quite a while.

It's certainly different. The voice-over was more like for a promo vid than a traditional trailer. It sounded a little silly. I definitely like the designs and look of characters like Cap and Thor. Kang's design, I think I'll need to see a little more. Not sure about the design.

It looks like they are kind of playing it with Iron Man as the founder as well as the leader, but we'll see.

Loved the animation of Cap cutting the Red Skull cut out in the training room with his shield.

:wow: Whoa, crazy to see something so soon. And yeah, it did sound promo-ish more than trailer-ish. It looks great!

I thought Kang looked pretty sweet. :up:

Pros: The starting lines of the voice-over, lifted directly from the Avengers comics; the animation; Kang; Thor kicking some ass; the black bits of Giant-Man's costume expanding to show blue parts when he grows.

Cons: Iron Man leading when Captain America is on the team; the Hulk being there. Granted, the Hulk may leave after a couple episodes or only do small cameo appearances from time to time, but he really shouldn't be on the team. Save him for a Defenders cartoon if they ever make one.

I would've liked to see the Vision, Hawkeye, and the Scarlet Witch on the team as well, but if they've gotta pare it down, I'm okay with them paring it down to the founders plus Cap. That's a solid team. The others'll probably guest star from time to time.

Overall, pretty cool. I'm surprised at how slick the animation looked. I wonder if that'll be the standard for the show or if it was better because it's short and it's for a promo meant to entice people.

That's Stan Lee's Avengers brought to the screen right there. :up:

This gets my approval so far.

Look, I mean, guys you complained for so long about not getting a more 616 version of Avengers animated onscreen. We are finally getting it. We shouldn't complain about this or that character when we got like 1 minute and 45 seconds of footage here of what is supposed to be a 26 episode series.

26 episode means there is a lot of time to showcase and introduce new characters in one season. Look at Wolverine And The X-men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJVv-pGvYY

Early holiday gift for Dread. An early trailer for the new Avengers animated series. Interesting that we can see this much when the show won't be out for quite a while.

You're right, I didn't expect anything that moved until about 2009 at least, much less a trailer that was a minute and a half.

The animation looked smooth, making the designs that seemed iffy in the poster look better in animation, not unlike SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN. The voice over guy took some of the lines from the comic book intro and of course you have your "founders, plus Cap" team. Basically, the team that was immortalized in the statue in front of Avengers Mansion in the comics. While Hulk had little to do with the 616 Avengers after the first year or so of the comic, I sort of doubt the show's producers and writers are going to ditch him, especially as the same guy who was originally supposed to work on HULK: GAMMA CORPS was brought onto this show when H:GC was scrapped in production (which was probably a shrewd move; more of a market for the Avengers than Hulk alone). I especially liked how Cap and Thor moved and looked (Cap looks SO Kirby there), and that Pym was Giant Man while the poster alludes to Ant-Man, meaning we may get both. Wasp looked fine, too.

Kang looked...well, to be honest, his Kirby design always was a tough one. It usually looks kind of stupid if you take it too seriously. I can respect, though, that this show is trying to be faithful to it and isn't slapping him in shoulder-pad samurai armor like A:UTS in '99.

It does seem odd that Captain America seems to not be the leader, but it is a teaser trailer. If Iron Man founded the team and they find Cap in the ice after being formed for an adventure or so (like the comics), it makes sense that Iron Man wouldn't just knowtow and buckle to Cap, who still would be getting used to his surroundings. In the comics, they had a rotating chairmanship for a while so that every Avenger could be leader for a week or something. Chris Yost in interviews is a guy who seems to like the idea of a cohesive Marvel universe so I would be surprised if we made it 26 episodes without at least from guest appearances by other B-List Avengers.

Still, the show benefits from AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND setting the bar so low that all you need to do is deliver on the Big Three and by definition it is better. Seriously. It may not be the most flattering advantage, but an advantage is an advantage that should not be wasted.

It also seems that "Jarvis" may be a computer program like in the IRON MAN movie, taking the place of HOMER or so on.

And, HEY, Pym is literally BUILDING ULTRON! The ******ed plot point in NEXT AVENGERS is NOT being recycled! That's awesome. Honestly, THIS is the show that can knock JLU off the perch of greatest team cartoon, if only Yost & Neili have gotten that goal in their minds, and have actually hired someone, anyone, who can storyboard a fight sequence or, better yet, more than one for the series that don't look hum-drum stuff like in FANTASTIC FOUR: WGH and WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN (which can't stage a good fight sequence unless it stars Nightcrawler or anyone other than the main cast).

But, so far, the show looks like it is off on the right track. Not perfect, but right track. JUSTICE LEAGUE hardly started out perfect.

I like many of your points Dread, but I don't agree with the harsh thing about Ultron for Next Avengers since I feel for that show it sorta worked and considering they took a lot of definitive story choices for the universe of that show it was OK. Considering that these days, it wouldn't be far off for Tony Stark to be doing something like that.

I think this video might've been like some test stuff or a sample promo/package that Marvel decided to release officially on their YouTube channel.

I'm sure we will see both Ant-Man and Giant-Man. And if they have Pym building Ultron, I imagine that Vision will be used at some point as well.

Last edited:
I like many of your points Dread, but I don't agree with the harsh thing about Ultron for Next Avengers since I feel for that show it sorta worked and considering they took a lot of definitive story choices for the universe of that show it was OK. Considering that these days, it wouldn't be far off for Tony Stark to be doing something like that.

I thought it was a stupid choice for NEXT AVENGERS considering Pym's son was a member of the core cast of that DTV and including Ultron in his father's legacy would have given his character more to do besides being "the annoying, semi-funny one". But, the fact that the kid characters were cookie cutter cliches (not NEARLY as mind-blowingly original as Yost & Kyle seemed to believe) was part of my main criticism with that DTV.

Now that we're actually getting an Avengers TV series proper, though, NEXT AVENGERS doesn't irk me as much.

I think this video might've been like some test stuff or a sample promo/package that Marvel decided to release officially on their YouTube channel.

I'm sure we will see both Ant-Man and Giant-Man. And if they have Pym building Ultron, I imagine that Vision will be used at some point as well.

Yeah, you can't have Ultron for long without Vision.

It is a good idea officially releasing it on YouTube to get in some buzz. Rather than fighting the Internet, big companies have to work with it.

Oh man that looked great!

I may be in the minority, but I sure do hope Hulk is a regular character and not there for a few guest cameos.

Well Marvel's done trailers like this before. But releasing it themselves avoids problems like the leaked Wolverine And The X-men trailer with all the Foo Fighters music and landed Marvel in a lawsuit.

I definitely look forward to seeing Hulk in a team environment again. That's an interesting dynamic and I think the execution could be quite interesting. How does someone like the Hulk participate and thrive in a super hero team when he's so hard to control? Also it makes you wonder what version of the Hulk this will be as well.

OK, now for voice actors. Anyone recognizable in that trailer? I mean, I imagine some of those could've been temp voices, but was Marc Worden Iron Man/Tony Stark again in there?

Oh man that looked great!

I may be in the minority, but I sure do hope Hulk is a regular character and not there for a few guest cameos.

I have an open mind and would be willing to see how it works. Even though, well, having only one "token girl" in a team show these days is very retro. Most 7-member rosters have at least two if not three.

I definitely look forward to seeing Hulk in a team environment again. That's an interesting dynamic and I think the execution could be quite interesting. How does someone like the Hulk participate and thrive in a super hero team when he's so hard to control? Also it makes you wonder what version of the Hulk this will be as well.

OK, now for voice actors. Anyone recognizable in that trailer? I mean, I imagine some of those could've been temp voices, but was Marc Worden Iron Man/Tony Stark again in there?

Part of my problem with the Hulk, at least in TV and sometimes movies, is that the status quo with him is predictable. Of course, it can be done well, like THE INCREDIBLE HULK, but it still is a case of knowing what to get; Banner on the run from the authorities, Hulk fighting the army, etc. At the very least, slapping Hulk as the regular (or semi-regular) member of a team he technically did found at least opens up the possibility for a new dynamic.

Considering Yost found ways to insert a few cameos into FANTASTIC FOUR: WGH, I would be surprised if other longtime Avengers like Hawkeye didn't appear within Season 1. I won't cite WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN as an example because, frankly, every X-Men cartoon always has a billion cameos. It's expected. We haven't seen that too often in more mainstream superhero shows outside of JLU. This is the shot to try it (in due time, of course).

As for the voice cast, I would be very surprised if Fred Tatasciore was not voicing the Hulk. He's voiced him in nearly every appearance he's had for the past two years. It would be interesting if they would let him handle Banner as well; he can pull off other parts. He's rocking as Beast in W&TXM.

Considering Thor will be cast in his own cartoon due out a year before A:EMH, it may not be a bad idea if whoever is voicing Thor in 2010 to voice him here. After all, voice actors for certain characters appeared in more than one show in the 90's. I just am curious whether the new voice of Thor for the HULK VS. movie, Matthew Wolf, will be brought in for the TV series and the Avengers show.

Marc Warden was a fine Iron Man (voiced him thrice), even though my fanboy dream voice would be Richard Hayes. He rocked in the role in the 90's. It has been a while since he voiced the character, after all. Tom Kane was fine in the role in NEXT AVENGERS (and he voiced HOMER in the 90's Iron Man show).

Captain America I can imagine must be a bear to cast. You want someone who sounds commanding, but also not TOO wooden and cheesy. Trev Broudy, who voiced Cap in MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE is an example of being too wooden. People complained about Justin Gross in the ULTIMATE AVENGERS DTV's, but at least he sounded relatable to the dialogue and I would prefer to relate to a character than feel their voice is awe commanding. People always use the "voice that could command a god" line from Frank Miller (from a DAREDEVIL guest appearance of all things), but a line like that only works in the comics where every reader can imagine such a voice. In real life with casting a real person, there will always be some trade off or someone who dislikes it. If anything, Gross sounded a little too "young". While a just-thawed Captain America should likely be in his mid-late 20's chronologically, I don't want him sounding "young". Remember in the 40's, someone who was 25 was already expected to a fully functioning adult with a wife and probably children; in the 2000's, you can still be single and living with your parents and unemployed. In THE INCREDIBLE HULK, Gen. Ross notes how warfare "ages" someone and that could also be the justification for Cap's voice, having literally fought the greatest war of all (at least in romanticized U.S. history).

Aside for Fred, though, I sort of doubt this show would be an ULTIMATE AVENGERS reunion.

Tom Kane made a good Tony Stark. However, he was cast as Tony Stark because this was a different, older, more elderly, and also paternal Tony Stark, so that's specifically why Marc didn't play him that time. Since this is Tony Stark/Iron Man in his prime, they should get Marc back, but I'd be totally cool with Richard Hayes coming back as well.

Also, Steven Blum as Hawkeye :D .

The reason I want to see Hulk in a team environment is because I want to see like super hero Hulk again. I'm kind of tired of the heroes fighting Hulk and being at odds with the Hulk because I mean Hulk's not supposed to be a bad guy.

Hulk's sort of an anti-hero and unstable component. Sometimes he can be an ally, either willingly or via manipulation (such as how Thing "tricks" Hulk into helping fight Home Base alongside the Four in "HARD KNOCKS"); other times he is a menace. In the comics, it also depends on what personality Hulk happens to be that year; Joe Fixit could usually be hired, the Professor often tried being a hero alongside the Pantheon, and other Hulk personalities either want to be left alone or just react to any irritant. It also is worth noting that often times the military or one of Hulk's enemies, usually ones who want his power like Leader, provoke the Hulk instead of allowing Banner or anyone else to contain him. Of course, it is like GILLIGAN'S ISLAND; if Banner could cure himself, the franchise would be over.

Ironically, I thought ULTIMATE AVENGERS captured this duality well. Sure, Banner went against orders by experimenting on himself to make the Hulk more containable, but guess what? The Hulk was critical in the last battle against the aliens, destroying one of their ships, slaughtering a messload of them and saving Betty. It was only after the battle progressed that Hulk lost control over himself in the heat of battle (plus, Banner never really liked anyone else aside for Steve, and the feeling was usually mutual), so the Avengers had to take him down. And even then, Betty is the one who had to stop him. In a way it captured the Hulk better than the actual ULTIMATES comic, which just made him a cannibal monster. In UA, Hulk got to be both a hero and a monster.

Some people find "superhero Hulk" to be boring and out of character. After all, there are a million superheroes who are really strong and nigh invulnerable. On the other hand, the "Hulk as fugitive vs. the army" angle you could argue is equally predictable. A balance needs to be struck; after all, Hulk is all about unleashed rage taking control over a man, which none of us can ever do in society. Just having Banner "morph up" and be one of the League isn't the ideal way to do it.

Of course, there are ways to handle this decently. Both Stark and Pym are on the team, so perhaps Banner is with them to get help for his dilemma in the lab, but then when the spit hits the fan, Hulk has to come out via reaction or whatever. He needs to be kept at least a bit of a wild-card in order to retain some of his edge. Otherwise, it's just like Wolverine being someone who never questions orders and is depicted as the ideal leader figure.

Oh, wait. Nevermind. ;)

Hayes making a return is a long shot; Warden would be fine. Blum as Hawkeye could work. It depends on which actors they want to recast in various roles. I'm cool with maintaining a steady troupe.

In the comics, Hulk left the team after only a couple of issues. Keeping him around on the show could be innovative, as long as they handle it right. I think there's potential for some profound drama, especially if Hulk/Bruce is on the team for awhile, but he has to leave eventually. I can imagine a heartbreaking episode where he leaves (the setup could be similar to the comics with the Space Phantom, or some such villain who sows mistrust within the team), where it becomes clear that the other Avengers, for all their power, nobility and heroism, simply cannot trust or accept Hulk as a teammate.

I'd be just fine with Hulk on the team if they set it up as Banner is working with them for whatever reason (be it his cure or some other sciency sounding experiment).

This would allow Banner to stay out of the fray more often than not, and only become Hulk when he's either desperately needed or attacked in some way.

Just saw the promo. Words do not describe how happy I am! I can't wait for this series!

I think more than anything what I am most happy about is that this is going to be classic Avengers much like Spectacular Spider-man is modeled after classic Spider-man.

So besides Kang that means we get Ultron and Loki. I think Masters of Evil should be built up for like season 2. Imagine the destruction of Avengers HQ being adapted for animation :D . I wish we'd also see Thunderbolts at some point.

Okay, I have a confession to make. I'm trying to get on the writing staff for this show. So watching the promo, for me, mostly means that the clock is ticking on my dream job.

Jordacar, well who knows how far into the 26 episode production of the first season they are. I mean it's not set to debut until like 2011 so you could still make it maybe.

They did however kind of cannibalize the crew of Gamma Corps. so they might be set for writers at this point.

Don't lose faith, there are still lots of ways you can write.

Yes, this show and SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN have been looking towards the original material as their inspiration, while still adding some modern touches and whatnot. And naturally we have the founding team here from the comics for AVENGERS: EMH.

It is possible that Hulk could eventually leave the team, but he likely will stay longer than two episodes; in the comics, he was off the team by issue #2 and by the end of the first year he was mostly gone from the comic itself.

I'd be just fine with Hulk on the team if they set it up as Banner is working with them for whatever reason (be it his cure or some other sciency sounding experiment).

This would allow Banner to stay out of the fray more often than not, and only become Hulk when he's either desperately needed or attacked in some way.
But that's The Ultimates. :huh:

Bottom line: The Avengers are the world's premiere team of superheroes. They're the guys all the other heroes are striving to be in the Marvel universe. The Hulk has no place on that kind of team. It'd work much better for the team and the Hulk's character if he's an outcast among outcasts on the Defenders.

Its no longer on Youtube for some reason.

Anyone know where I can view the trailer?

Many thanks.

But that's The Ultimates. :huh:

Bottom line: The Avengers are the world's premiere team of superheroes. They're the guys all the other heroes are striving to be in the Marvel universe. The Hulk has no place on that kind of team. It'd work much better for the team and the Hulk's character if he's an outcast among outcasts on the Defenders.

True, but it generally depends on how they play it. The Avengers needed time to become the "ideal" superhero team in the Marvel Universe; granted, in the comics, they showed up in the shadow of the Fantastic Four, who were a well known celebrity team by then. Ideally the Avengers would need some time before they started getting keys to the city.

In most other cartoons, Bruce Banner is depicted as a science figure that Tony Stark and Hank Pym are usually well aware of; he could be with them to try to get help in curing his status, and the Hulk emerging is a consequence. The Hulk's persona varies in the comics and he can be manipulated or at times heroic.

I do agree with your point overall. However, considering the Hulk is among the more well known characters on the team, plus the fact that the director spent some time on pre-production on a Hulk show and it has been stated that some of those plots may carry over into AVENGERS: EMH, I doubt the Hulk will be written out before the end of the first season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"