The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - The ANIMATED SERIES is now set for 2011

I haven't been able to find it again online. Marvel likely offered it as a brief sneak preview and now has removed it to build anticipation.

Yeah it was surprisingly pulled. Very curious if you ask me :D .

It was kind of like a short industry promotional video more than a trailer.

It included shots of the team assembling including Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Giant Man, Hulk, and the Wasp. Kang as the villain. Shot of Hank Pym and Wasp as Pym is building the Ultron android. Jarvis seems to be an AI computer system like Homer or Jarvis in the Iron Man movie.

It is weird to pull it after only a week or so. Maybe the idea is that the fans who saw it will tell the fans who didn't and create buzz. It would seem smarter to have left is up, especially since Marvel was officially posting it on YouTube with their official account, but, sometimes their strategies are beyond our mortal logic. :o

Well maybe the posting of the vid was premature, who knows. But I'd say the feedback and overall reaction to the video was generally positive. I think most fans want a new classic style Avengers cartoons.

Now it feels like animated series are going somewhat away from the more anime style and going more for a retro style. Look at shows like Brave And The Bold and The Secret Saturdays. And now Avengers: EGH. GI JOE: Resolute has a more classic GI JOE animation look and style to it after the failure of Studio Gonzo's Sigma Six. Transformers Animated: Well definitely not an anime style.

I am curious how many views the video got before it was pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 5 figures.

I do agree the style is trying to go for a stylized retro sort of thing rather than anime. But I think people call a lot of stylized character designs "anime" when it isn't warranted.

I'm betting Ciro Nieli directed the promo. He's the brains of the operation and the animation looks like his style.

Indeed; Nieli is the director (with Chris Yost behind the production/writing) and he has worked on TEEN TITANS and LEGION OF SUPERHERO HEROES. It did have that sort of fast paced action. Nieli's episodes weren't often the best from those shows, but they weren't bad. No pun intended, hopefully he brings his A-game to the Avengers.

I am curious how many views the video got before it was pulled. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 5 figures.

I do agree the style is trying to go for a stylized retro sort of thing rather than anime. But I think people call a lot of stylized character designs "anime" when it isn't warranted.
You mean like you have with Wolverine And The X-men? ;)

You mean like you have with Wolverine And The X-men? ;)

I don't think I have referred to the design style of Wolverine and the X-Men as "like anime". It just is more stylized than Gordon's models for Evolution or Ultimate Avengers were.

I think at certain designs you used the word anime in your description.

As far as action goes, I think the sequences in Teen Titans were generally well staged and choreagraphed. I thought the trailer looked impressive for what we saw.

What I'm curious about though is if that trailer is indicative of the set-up of the show. Will the Avengers be a pre-existing unit, or will the pilot be like a forming of the team like JL.

What I like about Wolverine and The X-men is that it jumps into a status quo of a pre-existing X-men that are quickly torn apart and then need re-building and to be reborn.

TEEN TITANS was often a very kinetic show. The episodes that Nieli directed weren't usually among the best the show had to offer, though. The best Titans episodes were by David Slack. Still, at least his episodes usually weren't duds.

As for the starting unit, I think it would be best to see the Avengers formed. WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN started out pre-existing, but note that the X-Men have had two prior cartoons as well as a trilogy of films to make mainstreamers very familiar with who the major figures are and the main premise. The Avengers don't have that. True, THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA may have films out by then, but we have no clue how well they will do in box office. HULK is arguably more well known than both, and neither of his films broke any records.

The Avengers have had two animated series as well as two animated DTV movies.

What I like about Wolverine and The X-men is that it jumps into a status quo of a pre-existing X-men that are quickly torn apart and then need re-building and to be reborn.
I loved that too, but I don't think you could do that for the Avengers. The X-Men have had 2 successful animated series and three films, so the premise of the X-Men and the gist of most of the characters is very much in the public consciousness already, which makes it easier to do what was done with WATXM, jumping in at a point that would normally start a second or third season. Not so much the case with Avengers.

With this show, I hope they start with the formation of the team, because we haven't seen that in animated form before. Another reason to start there, I think, is because it might be too much to come right out of the gate with the Avengers team having an off-screen backstory, along with the off-screen backstories of the individual heroes, and then have to develop the characters from that point. Does that make sense?

Wait, so the 2 DTV's are Ultimate Avengers 1+2, and the 2 animated are "Avengers: United They Stand" and...what?

The Avengers have had two animated series as well as two animated DTV movies.

One animated series, AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND which aired for one season in 1999-2000 and was never re-aired in the United States or sold on VHS or DVD for a good reason. It was terrible. But I know you like to include it and claim it counts as well known pop culture. That's like someone going, "I want to see Carnage!" in a Spidey show and you going, "Hey, he showed up in SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED only eight years ago!" Like THAT counts. (Not that I would like to see Carnage, either).

There was the 1966 MARVEL SUPERHEROES show with Xerox animation that featured cartoons starring Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America (in which many of Cap's episodes featured his "Kooky Quartet" of fellow Avengers, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver). Those, also, have been been released much or well known, and it is a stretch.

There have been three Avengers DTV's. ULTIMATE AVENGERS 1 & 2, and NEXT AVENGERS, which is not related and basically stars a bunch of generic kids.

Now, by 2011, we may have had THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA movies (along with Thor showing up in two of his own DTV's and an animated series) and a second IRON MAN film, but probably not AVENGERS yet. I don't think it would be a good idea to assume the fans have much prior knowledge of the characters beyond maybe Hulk or so. Pym and Wasp are not well known.

Besides, unlike the X-Men, the Avengers are a simpler concept; solo heroes uniting to face threats larger than any of them could tackle themselves. Plus, while I don't expect the show to follow the comics panel for panel, it may be interesting to have the team form up and then find Captain America in the ice, and play with the tension that would bring the others.

JUSTICE LEAGUE in a way had an easy way in, since it was following the Timm continuity which meant Batman & Superman were already well fleshed and had teamed up several times, and Superman was already aware of the Green Lantern Corps and The Flash (the two had raced around the world and teamed up to fight Weather Wizard in Superman's show). Even Aquaman, who showed up early in JL Season 1, had already been introduced in S:TAS. While it may be POSSIBLE that AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES might share continuity with the THOR animated series debuting in 2010 (and frankly it would be logical if it did), that only covers one character, not a whole team.

Keep in mind, the heroes can all be pre-existing. No one is saying we have to show Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, or Ant-Man/Wasp having their first solo adventures. Just have them unite for the first time as a team on the show. Hell, the Loki ordeal could easily be covered in a single episode; no need to decompress the thing. WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN's 3 part pilot episode covered a lot of material, after all.

The main difference between the Avengers and the X-Men is that the X-Men are brought together by the fact that they're all mutants. The Avengers encompasses every kind of costumed crimefighter there is, .

The main difference between the Avengers and the X-Men is that the X-Men are brought together by the fact that they're all mutants. The Avengers encompasses every kind of costumed crimefighter there is, .

The X-Men have also had much more mass media depictions and are more well known to the general public. At least since 1993. They are now on their THIRD animated series that will see two full seasons (and over 50 episodes). The one from the 90's aired in reruns for nearly a decade after it ended and X-MEN EVOLUTION is now being rerun for free on Marvel's website. And, yeah, three movies, not to mention a slew of video games.

While many of the Avengers are known individually, the public isn't as aware of their history directly, so starting from the beginning is fine. Again, their premise is less intertwined with social commentary as the X-Men so it isn't as complicated to explain.

The Avengers I think was picked up by Toon Disney and has aired there.

I was referring to the 1960's stuff as well.

But they still did two fairly popular animated movies.

And look, Marvel is looking at finally expanding the Avengers brand. We are getting a classic version of the group in a 26 episode show. We are getting a movie. So I mean, Marvel is changing the multi-media depictions of Avengers now. More video games are sure to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"