Blue Beetle The Blue Beetle News and Discussion Thread

I really loved this movie. It was MUCH BETTER than Black Adam. Than Shazam 2. Than The Flash.

It had heart, action, comedy, romance. Basically DCs answer to Spiderman.

If you are going to give me corny...at least give me good corny and they delivered when they gave me corny. Did I need a glorified fart joke? NO.

Is a perfect film? No but it's still one of the more enjoyable DC movies that deserves to succeed (which means it wont).

7.5/10

I still don't understand why this got a theatrical release. It looks like it was shot for the arrowverse or a spin off of Titans.

These lies and fairytales. Esp the Arrowverse. Arrowverse wishes. Titans wishes.

I think some people are forgetting that WB (as in the previous regime) decided to release this theatrically a whole 6 months before filming began. They started shooting and crafting this film with theatrical in mind and they no doubt juiced the budget a bit to include more significant action.

I don't know why I'm seeing, ''Oh but it's doing OK for a streaming movie''.

No... It had a bigger budget than Shazam!. It's not a streaming movie. It is very much designed for the big screen.

I think some people are forgetting that WB (as in the previous regime) decided to release this theatrically a whole 6 months before filming began. They started shooting and crafting this film with theatrical in mind and they no doubt juiced the budget a bit to include more significant action.

I don't know why I'm seeing, ''Oh but it's doing OK for a streaming movie''.

No... It had a bigger budget than Shazam!. It's not a streaming movie. It is very much designed for the big screen.
The trailers don't convey this at all. It looks cheap.

The trailers don't convey this at all. It looks cheap.

I actually think it looks pretty alright from a visual standpoint... but if people believe it ''looks cheap'', point the finger at the director/cinematographer as you normally would. Not the fact that it was made for streaming, which technically it wasn't.

They had roughly six months of pre production to ensure the movie looked ready for cinemas on the same budget as movie like Venom 1 & 2, Shazam 1 & 2, etc.

It does look like a made for streaming movie, and I assumed it cost lower than $100 million dollars when I first saw the teaser trailer. If someone showed me that trailer without knowing the IP, I would have thought its a superhero series for MaX. The only thing that looks eXpensive is the Blue Beetle costume, which looks great and very presentable. My only eXposure from Blue Beetle before this was Injustice 2.

The 75% Rotten Tomatoes rating is good enough. Though if it was a Marvel Studios movie, it would have been near the bottom.

The reason why I'm most reluctant about seeing this film in the big screen, is it seems like a throwaway release for Warner Bros. "I believe when I see it" if this version of Blue Beetle is included in the upcoming DC Studios era so thats another reason why I'm skipping this in theaters.
At least with The Flash, there were several characters I've already seen in the previous movies, played by actors I've in previous DC movies in the same role, so I had to watch that in the big screen and I will do that with Aquaman 2 as well. Though I skipped Black Adam and Shazam! 2 in theaters simply because I had a feeling they would flop and they did. I howevee kinda enjoyed seeing those in the comfort of my room so I'm hoping that would be the case for Blue Beetle as well in 2 months.

Also the CinemaScore rating is not good news for the legs of the movie.

It does look like a made for streaming movie, and I assumed it cost lower than $100 million dollars when I first saw the teaser trailer. If someone showed me that trailer without knowing the IP, I would have thought its a superhero series for MaX. The only thing that looks eXpensive is the Blue Beetle costume, which looks great and very presentable. My only eXposure from Blue Beetle before this was Injustice 2.

The 75% Rotten Tomatoes rating is good enough. Though if it was a Marvel Studios movie, it would have been near the bottom.

The reason why I'm most reluctant about seeing this film in the big screen, is it seems like a throwaway release for Warner Bros. "I believe when I see it" if this version of Blue Beetle is included in the upcoming DC Studios era so thats another reason why I'm skipping this in theaters.
At least with The Flash, there were several characters I've already seen in the previous movies, played by actors I've in previous DC movies in the same role, so I had to watch that in the big screen and I will do that with Aquaman 2 as well. Though I skipped Black Adam and Shazam! 2 in theaters simply because I had a feeling they would flop and they did. I howevee kinda enjoyed seeing those in the comfort of my room so I'm hoping that would be the case for Blue Beetle as well in 2 months.

How exactly when it would have Eternals, Quantumania, The Dark World, Love& Thunder, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Doctor Strange 2 all below it? With AoE very close and Thor 1. And that's not even counting the TV shows.

was there some generic {superhero origin story} tropes in this? maybe
did it kinda feel like a 2008-2012 era Marvel movie? yes
have other comic book movies gone to extreme length to move away from that style since those days to differentiate themselves? also yes

is it kinda refreshing to see a Superhero movie go back to the basics? absolutely

How exactly when it would have Eternals, Quantumania, The Dark World, Love& Thunder, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Doctor Strange 2 all below it? With AoE very close and Thor 1. And that's not even counting the TV shows.
I said near the bottom and I only mentioned Marvel Studios movies.

From the movies you listed, its only above 7 movies and there are over 30 MCU movies.

I don't follow RT pages for MCU tv shows but most of them are higher than 75%. The only ones I remember having a lower RT rating are Moon Knight and
Secret Invasion.

So yeah if its a Marvel Studios movie, it would definitely be near the bottom of their RT record

I said near the bottom and I only mentioned Marvel Studios movies.

From the movies you listed, its only above 7 movies and there are over 30 MCU movies.

I don't follow RT pages for MCU tv shows but most of them are higher than 75%. The only ones I remember having a lower RT rating are Moon Knight and Secret Invasion.

So yeah if its a Marvel Studios movie, it would definitely be near the bottom of their RT record
Okay I checked Rotten Tomatoes.

75 Blue Beetle
74 In the Madness of the Multiverse
71 Iron Man 2
67 The Incredible Hulk
66 The Dark World
63 Love and Thunder
Secret Invasion
47 Eternals
45 Quantumania

32 films/9 TV series/2 specials

It would have been at bottom 9 out of 43 projects (44 if its counted). Yeah thats definitely near the bottom if we count all Marvel Studios productions.

One of my colleagues told me it reminded them of the first two Ant-Man movies: charming, small in scale, family orientated. As someone who actually really enjoys those first two Ant-Man(I'm in the minority here) because of those reasons, I'm optimistic to see this when I can next week.

If you haven't already, I highly encourage you to listen to the soundtrack/score for this movie on Apple/Spotify, the synth-wave vibes are freakin terrific (something I know @Kane52630 probably appreciates a ton). Also really love the color scheme they've been using for the promo material as it matches the colors of the Miami Heat Vice City Edition Jerseys from a few years back (a team with a massive Latino fanbase)
vice-nights-teaser-slide-04-e1541462973383.jpg

Music and visuals seem to have been very thoughtfully done here, excited to give this movie a shot next week.

I dont think it looked cheap, honestly. Visual effects looked convincing enough.

Saw it this morning. I hope that Superhero movies get away from family drama and killing off fathers. You can tell this movie was made to send a message of family love vs cooperate greed. Overall it fit its mid 70s tomato score and B+ cinema score. This movie should have stayed on HBO Max, reminded me of Ms. Marvel. The extra money was put into the action and it did not disappoint. Blue Beetle is a character that should be on the big screen but is more of a side character. I think fans only want to see the big boys Batman/Spider-Man types leading on the big screen nowadays.

People keep saying this should have stayed on HBO Max but it literally would have made $0.00 back on there. At least theatrically its making some money back rather than nothing.

They would have spend much less in marketing though.

They barely spent anything on this marketing anyway. Its stars couldnt even promote it lol

They barely spent anything on this marketing anyway. Its stars couldnt even promote it lol
True but they didn't account on that when they decided to release it in cinemas, so I'm not convinced it was the right choice back then.

Just got back, I thought the movie worked incredibly well for the most part. It's pretty much part Shazam, part Spider-Man Homecoming, and part Ms. Marvel. The movie works best whenever it focuses on the family.

Also, that score and theme song is so damn good.

So you're making all of these assumptions off of a movie that you havent even seen? Hell if this were a Marvel movie, it probably would have a higher rating.

But it being part of a universe shouldnt deter you from seeing it when it is strictly about establishing Jamie/BB. It doesnt rely on anyone else.

Not to mention that Joker also got a B+ cinemascore and it made 1bill at the box office so even if it got A+ it wouldnt do any better at the box office sadly

So you're making all of these assumptions off of a movie that you havent even seen? Hell if this were a Marvel movie, it probably would have a higher rating.

But it being part of a universe shouldnt deter you from seeing it when it is strictly about establishing Jamie/BB. It doesnt rely on anyone else.

Not to mention that Joker also got a B+ cinemascore and it made 1bill at the box office so even if it got A+ it wouldnt do any better at the box office sadly
Eh. I stopped reading with the bolded part.

I'll wait til its on streaming. It looks like a straight to streaming movie anyway.
I skipped Black Adam and Shazam! 2 in theaters simply because I had a feeling they would flop and they did. I howevee kinda enjoyed seeing those in the comfort of my room so I'm hoping that would be the case for Blue Beetle as well in 2 months.

Clearly someone missed reading those. @Primal Slayer

There's a difference of entirely skipping a movie over entirely skipping a movie IN THEATERS, and waiting til hit on streaming. I just watched Elemental and Across the Spider-verse for the first time in the comfort of my room this week.

rhobh-lisa.gif

Clearly someone missed reading those. @Primal Slayer

There's a difference of entirely skipping a movie over entirely skipping a movie IN THEATERS, and waiting til hit on streaming. I just watched Elemental and Across the Spider-verse for the first time in the comfort of my room this week.

rhobh-lisa.gif

I thought you stopped reading? Couldn't resist?

Yeah, skipping a movie IN THEATERS because you think is a throw away and not part of a universe or may flop isnt that great of a reason. Simply not being interested makes sense. Strictly not going to theaters anymore...makes sense. Your reasoning, not that much sense.

lisa-rinna-rinna.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"