The Brave and the Bold News and Discussion Thread

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
Discuss news for the new film here.

tumblr_ptqk0vqzA11s15h3qo1_500.gif

So Talia and Ra's must be in this, right? Plus at least one former Robin?

I've always hoped for robins to not be played by 20 something guys and I hope this is not the case this time. Of course he can't be to young or it wouldn't be realistic for Damien to be a believable treat.

However, just imagine a 4 years old Damien:

Bats: NO Damien, NO! Killing is BAD, It makes daddy SAD. Time off now!! Go to your room!! No, no batablet for you, no Masha and the Bear today!!
No, don't come crying to me....
Ok ok, give daddy a hug.
Now now, When you kill people you make daddy sad, do you understand? Yes I know gramps lets you do it, but it's bad ok? its bad and makes me sad. ok ok, now gimme a kiss and go to your room!

Bruce having a psychotic ten year old dropped off on his doorstep by Talia and having to raise him is objectively one of the best possible premises for a Batman movie.
Very much so. And you can use Batman's relationships with other pre-existing members of the Bat Family (Nightwing and Batgirl/Oracle) to further enhance his development with Damian. Pretty clever way to build an entire mythos from the jump.

A swashbuckling, globe-trotting action/adventure movie with Talia and the League of Assassins as a more global threat. Sign me the hell up for that.

This movie succeeds if they can pull off the same dynamic as the one between Kratos and Atreus in God Of War. I'm absolutely certain that the games have influenced the decision to go ahead with this father/son story.

So we are 100% getting a blue and gray batsuit with the oval and capsule belt, right? Like we are all in agreement on that?
If you wanna be different from Batfleck and Battinson, sure why not.

Bruce having a psychotic ten year old dropped off on his doorstep by Talia and having to raise him is objectively one of the best possible premises for a Batman movie.

Yeah, I was talking about this particular project with my dad earlier and he seemed a bit hesitant at the idea of introducing a more comic-y Batman reboot with Robin, until I specifically went into the whole sales pitch of who Damien Wayne is and what the inevitable plot with him as a freshly christened Robin to a veteran Batman would be.

That premise works.

Very much so. And you can use Batman's relationships with other pre-existing members of the Bat Family (Nightwing and Batgirl/Oracle) to further enhance his development with Damian. Pretty clever way to build an entire mythos from the jump.

A swashbuckling, globe-trotting action/adventure movie with Talia and the League of Assassins as a more global threat. Sign me the hell up for that.

I'm really curious to see who ends up writing and/or directing The Brave & The Bold. Gunn mentioned Drew Goddard as being part of the writing team for DC Studios, but I could just as easily see Goddard writing The Authority or Swamp Thing.

Would love for James Mangold to helm this. Give it a similar globetrotting approach to what we've seen so far from Indiana Jones 5 with the awkward parent-child dynamic of Logan.

The funny aspect of Damien and such was that Bruce couldn't handle him ... dies ... Dick gets Damien to be a better person ... Bruce comes abck and reaps the benefits of Dick being awesome.

He's still a cocky little ****, and I think Damien became a League Of Assassins **** recently - but mostly was great as a partner for Mr. Grayson.

See, I'm a pretty big Batman guy but I've always struggled with the idea of a child Robin. Yes I know you suspend your disbelief. Yes I know you have to buy into the internal logic of a fictitious world. Still, something about Batman willfully putting a child in harm's way, after what he personally went through, just never sat with me. Robin as a sixteen-year-old? I can wrap my head around that. A ten-year-old? Not so much.

Damian, though, is an interesting case. He was raised by world-class assassins from birth. He is one of the most dangerous and lethal human beings on the planet, despite his age. Even at ten, he is already more dangerous than most adults. Damian grew up in that sort of environment (unbeknownst to his father), and then one day he's dropped off on Bruce's doorstep - already a trained killer. Nothing Bruce can really do about that.

The Robin moniker is a chance for Bruce to pull Damian back from the brink and recalibrate his dangerous son into being a force for good. It's a genuine effort by Bruce to save his son, in the only way that makes sense to him.

Last edited:
See I'm a pretty big Batman guy, but I've always struggled with the idea of a child Robin. Yes I know you suspend your disbelief. Yes I know you have to buy into the logic of a fictitious world. Still, something about Batman willfully putting a child in harm's way, after what he personally went through, just never sat with me. Robin as a sixteen-year-old? I can wrap my hear around that. A ten-year-old? Not so much.

Damian, though, is an interesting case. He was raised by world-class assassins from birth. He is one of the most dangerous and lethal human beings on the planet, despite his age. Even at ten, he is already more dangerous than most adults. Damian grew up in that sort of environment (unbeknownst to his father), and then one day he's dropped off on Bruce's doorstep - already a trained killer. Nothing Bruce can really do about that.

The Robin moniker is a chance for Bruce to pull his son back from the brink and recalibrate Damian's murderous talents into a force for good. It's a genuine effort by Bruce to save his son, in the only way that makes sense to him.

Exactly. It's actually kind of a masterful stroke to start things off with DCU Batman by pairing him off with Damian instead of starting younger with Dick.

The whole premise of Damian's character is something that better sells the idea of why Bruce would be okay with allowing a ten year old to go out and fight crime with him to the general public, while also allowing Gunn and co. to have a more ample space to introduce and develop a wider array of the Batfamily.

I'm still a bit iffy on things in general myself, given that I wanted Pattinson's tenure to be unobstructed by any "competing" contemporary live action Batmen in the general public, but the structure here works for me. It's a notably different take on the character than what Reeves and Pattinson are doing and Gunn finally made the call to officially launch a DC Elseworlds moniker that cements the idea of there being "out of continuity" prestige projects adjacent to the more commercial DCU.

Wait a minute! Didn't one of the leakers say a Wonder Woman/Batman team up film was in the works and was The Brave and the Bold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"