• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

In episode six:

Was that a little Stargate easter egg? When Sabrina found Apophis' name in a book, there's a little image of a ring that looks strikingly like a Stargate. Apophis was a major villain in SG-1, and was also a snake parasite just like the Apophis in this episode. As far as I can tell, the actual Egyptian mythological character was more of a giant monster than a parasite, so the similarity to the Stargate character is kinda neat, if intentional.

Bmd1Fo1.png

No, you can't have my lunch money. I need it.

So, yeah, why do I get a feeling Michael Hogan is starting to get typecast in these type of shows.

Miranda Otto's "Praise Satan" is uttered perfectly.
Sabrina, Zelda, Hilda, Ambrose and Madame Satan are all rather perfect. Zelda's deadpanning grumpiness had me laughing out loud quite a few times.

Strange, I’ve finished the season but never notice anything about camera or lens).

Finished it. Loved it.

Laughed when Zelda stole Blackwood's daughter

Can't wait till next season.

Finished the show yesterday and loved it. Surprised this was produced by an american company.
The cast was really good especially the Spellman family. Very little filler and much less teenie romance than i feared.
Can't wait for the next season

I only have one complaint about this show and I'm guessing it's something that originates with the source material.

The way they slap unholy and an "evil" modifier words on all their stuff. It's silly, cheesy, and doesnt make much sense. Like why would they do that? They believe the Christian god is false. Why would they admit everything connected to them is evil? Thatd just be confirming the Church's claims. Why would they say the scripture of their one true god is unholy? Why would they say their own court unjust and evil? They're trying way to hard to appear and seem evil and spooky. Like a teenager trying way roo hard to be edgy.

Oh yeah the "praise SATAN" was hilarious

is there any rabid Christians who are crying out about this?

Ep03.
So in the show universe, they can't get books outside of the school ??
I find that there is too much of everything ( social group wise ) and the serious tone doesn't help.
@Marvolo : I agree, this unholy that, dishonor this is a bit lame.
Anyways, I'm clearly not among the target audience but I will keep watching maybe I will like it more as it goes, if not I will stick to Riverdale.
And where is the talking cat !?

PS : I've never read the comic books nor watched the first TV show.

I only have one complaint about this show and I'm guessing it's something that originates with the source material.

The way they slap unholy and an "evil" modifier words on all their stuff. It's silly, cheesy, and doesnt make much sense. Like why would they do that? They believe the Christian god is false. Why would they admit everything connected to them is evil? Thatd just be confirming the Church's claims. Why would they say the scripture of their one true god is unholy? Why would they say their own court unjust and evil? They're trying way to hard to appear and seem evil and spooky. Like a teenager trying way roo hard to be edgy.

I mean, look at our own language. Look at how thinks like "holy, oh god, thank god, jesus" permeates the english language. In a whole lot of ways, it is the antithesis of the puritanical roots of american society. Given the society they were making, it makes a ton of sense. I love that they treated it like an actual religion, with those advocating for reforms. And Sabrina questioning the faith is something most religious teenagers do at one point.

And for all the issues they have with the faith of the false god, they have some of the same misogynistic issues. I think the final image of Blackwood with all the warlocks is important to next season for a ton of reasons. I mean, for satan's sake, witch pregnancies are 13 months.

I am awaiting the fundamentalist backlash against this show, though.

Aguirre-Sacasa is the creator of the comic and developed the show/wrote 3 episodes.

The world itself seems to take being bad almost as a middle finger to God and the Church. It goes along with the "us v. them" mentality of it. Also, they talk to Satan. They seem to have his seal of approval on these matters.

So Riverdale gets a section, but this show doesn't?

I'll never get tired of Michelle Gomez's over the top expressions. Just works so deliciously well here.

EP05, still no talking cat.
Rhetorical post for I suspect there will be no talking cat at all. If I'm wrong, spoil me now.

EP05, still no talking cat.
Rhetorical post for I suspect there will be no talking cat at all. If I'm wrong, spoil me now.
There will be no talking cat. She talks to the cat plenty, and it meows which she apparently understands.

I'm only up to episode 6 myself.

As hilarious as that is they've probably got grounds to follow through with this.
We shall see what happens. But this sounds like asking people to not put a crucifix in a film. It's like asking, are you a real religion, or aren't you?

Good tv show. Never read comics, only knew old show. Overall good. Satisfied to a point. This show miss Salem, real cat which speaks. Lack of Salem was noticable. I personally would like more if Ambrose was cat who had "human form" or something similar. Instead we basically replacing Salem role with new character.

Not sure overall where season 2 is heading. Or does it even follow comics or whatever. So not sure what to expect in S02. Overall I liked Sabrina's human and witch side and her struggle. Made show fresh. Made her stand out between pure humans and pure witches.

Not overall sure how she will go back to her oldself, if she even can. Seems we will follow witch Sabrina and possibly her friends trying bring her back.

Good tv show. Never read comics, only knew old show. Overall good. Satisfied to a point. This show miss Salem, real cat which speaks. Lack of Salem was noticable. I personally would like more if Ambrose was cat who had "human form" or something similar. Instead we basically replacing Salem role with new character.

Not sure overall where season 2 is heading. Or does it even follow comics or whatever. So not sure what to expect in S02. Overall I liked Sabrina's human and witch side and her struggle. Made show fresh. Made her stand out between pure humans and pure witches.

Not overall sure how she will go back to her oldself, if she even can. Seems we will follow witch Sabrina and possibly her friends trying bring her back.

The comic its adapted from only has 8 issues so they've already surpassed the material and severely changed/watered down the content.

Just finished this. I liked it a lot and can’t wait for the second season. I didn’t think that I’d take to the series as much as I have, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I’ll break my thoughts down further below.

THE GOOD (SPOILERS)

I think the show did a surprisingly good job of balancing its various tones. Under less skilled hands, the show could’ve been a mess.

The actors who play Harvey and Sabrina have good chemistry overall. There were moments where I thought they were a little dry, but I was surprisingly invested in their relationship.

Hilda and Zelda are a delight. I admittedly could’ve done without the latter’s dalliance with Blackwood, but I imagine the consequences of it will be seen next season.

I like where they seem to be going with Harvey and his relationship with witches.

I love Prudence. She could’ve easily been one of my least favorite characters, but I think they did a really good job with her. I don’t think they needed to make her Blackwood’s daughter, but I’m sure it’ll lead to some interesting stories in the future.

I love that the show made it a priority to make the supporting cast as interesting as possible. I can honestly say that I'm engaged in almost every storyline.

THE BAD (SPOILERS)

The actors playing Harvey and Sabrina are laughably bad at intense, dramatic acting. I didn’t buy their tears or shellshocked expressions for a second.

The series made little to no effort to explain the limitations or rules of magic. Things just sort of happened (or didn’t happen) as the plot demanded.

The differences between The Academy of Unseen Arts and Baxter High began and ended with Satanic imagery. What was the point of making her attend two different schools if they weren’t going to be properly contrasted?

There doesn’t seem to be a clear idea of what witches actually find morally just or reprehensible. The show was most likely trying to have them exist in a place of moral ambiguity, but I just found it inconsistent.

There is no way Sabrina would become - or even go out of her way to regularly spend time with - a Weird Sister. At least not to the extent that I imagine they’re going to try and play her up as in season two. I know what they were going for, but...no. Sorry. Wasn’t buying it.

Sabrina knew suspiciously little about magic and being a witch despite having obviously been trained in witchcraft for years by her aunts. I understood that she was meant to be the audience surrogate, but I don’t think it made a lot of sense given what we were told or could infer about her past.

The actress who played Miss Wardwell was absolutely awful for the first three or four episodes.

This might have been because of the actor, but I don’t think Harvey was anywhere near traumatized enough after literally murdering his only brother.

Some of the effects were...not good. :funny:

THE REST

I know it’s not the most subtle imagery in the world, but I liked that Sabrina wore red in pretty much every episode.

I’d like Hilda and Zelda’s relationship to pick a direction in season two and then go there. I can think of at least two instances where Zelda came to the realization that she needs to treat her sister better, but went right back to her old ways shortly afterwards. I understand that change takes time, but it felt like a reset to the status quo each time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"