The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...disney-exit-bob-chapek-succession-1235025504/

“In a world and business that is awash with data, it is tempting to use data to answer all of our questions, including creative questions,” Iger said. “I urge all of you not to do that.” If Disney had relied too heavily on data, he noted, the company might never have made big, breakthrough movies like Black Panther, Coco and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

Though no outsiders were present, chatter about Iger’s talk soon began to seep through Hollywood. His words were interpreted as a shot at Chapek.

I really hope they replace Chapek sooner rather than later.

Given how steadfast against going to theaters I've been these last two years, and now that I'm actually conceding going to an off-the-beaten-path theater to see Spider-man a week after release, I can't help but wonder if US theaters find themselves in a similar position to March 2020. Would be my goddamn luck for them to shutter and it be available on PVOD in a short amount of time.

Given how steadfast against going to theaters I've been these last two years, and now that I'm actually conceding going to an off-the-beaten-path theater to see Spider-man a week after release, I can't help but wonder if US theaters find themselves in a similar position to March 2020. Would be my goddamn luck for them to shutter and it be available on PVOD in a short amount of time.

It's way too early to predict what the home release for this will be, even more so since Sony doesn't have a streaming platform, but if/when things get worse, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony sped up the date in which No Way Home got its physical release. Same with other movies, really.

Hopefully the NWH OW can show there is still some life in pandemic era box office.

iOSg5G.gif

Have to be honest though, seeing the Collider reviewer who attended the press screening (in NYC I believe) testing positive today (meaning he either got it there or went there with it), is exactly the reason why they shouldn't be putting movies in theaters right now. Unreal.

At the bare minimum, they should be limiting capacity. I ain't seeing Spiderman till after new years. I'm fine with that, because the crowds are too much from what I've seen.

We're starting to see the NFL postpone games, so I wouldn't be surprised if theater chains did start imposing some sort of restriction on capacity, if they're not already.

I got my tickets to Spider-Man for tomorrow and just saw there’s only 7 seats left in my theater. It’s going to be packed. I got my booster but will still definitely wear the mask for the whole movie.

I got tickets for Spider-Man next Tuesday (i.e. Discount Tuesday) and since I'm expecting a much more packed theater than I've seen anytime over the year, I'm likely double-masking. I'm actually seriously contemplating wearing a face shield for the first time too....

I got my tickets to Spider-Man for tomorrow and just saw there’s only 7 seats left in my theater. It’s going to be packed. I got my booster but will still definitely wear the mask for the whole movie.
That's what I did last night. Packed theater and I kept my mask on the whole time. Looking around, I noticed maybe two-thirds of the theater did as well (I'm just north of NYC so masks have always been treated seriously here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"