The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

Sources want to remain anonymous from litigious *******s.

It was already impossible to get Spider-Man tickets here, but now all theatres are closed again, so guess I'll catch it on VOD in January.

Will it be available on VOD in January?

No way January with how well it’s doing. February more likely.

Eternals opened in November but isn’t hitting VOD till January.

I dont know if outside markets will follow the 45 day window that was worked out here in the States, but movie's official date was Dec 17th, so add 45 days would put it at Jan 30th, which is a Sunday. So my best bet is Feb for VOD

BTW, for those wondering about Morbius getting moved to April 1st, I don't think it's due to COVID. So far, it's the only movie that's moved recently. I think it's a quality issue, unless Sony's secretly planning a cameo for a certain Spider-actor (very unlikely, but who knows). Otherwise, if COVID were the case, Uncharted and Scream would've moved too, and they haven't.

BTW, for those wondering about Morbius getting moved to April 1st, I don't think it's due to COVID. So far, it's the only movie that's moved recently. I think it's a quality issue, unless Sony's secretly planning a cameo for a certain Spider-actor (very unlikely, but who knows). Otherwise, if COVID were the case, Uncharted and Scream would've moved too, and they haven't.

yeah Ive always thought the movie looked suspect at best. I mean if your Sony and spider-man is currently out doing pre pandemic numbers and venom 2 made money would t you want this to come out this month to capitalize on the hype? Unless Sony is thinking push this to April so spider man and uncharted have healthy runs without eating each other.

yeah Ive always thought the movie looked suspect at best. I mean if your Sony and spider-man is currently out doing pre pandemic numbers and venom 2 made money would t you want this to come out this month to capitalize on the hype? Unless Sony is thinking push this to April so spider man and uncharted have healthy runs without eating each other.
That's probably what it is. Someone on Twitter mentioned not wanting to compete with NWH still being in theaters as a reason, and that makes sense.

But yeah, meanwhile, the spikes will go back down. We know the vaccines and boosters can handle this new variant fine. Everyone just needs to chill and stop being paranoid. This isn't 2020 where we had delays en mass due to no guaranteed treatment yet.

That's probably what it is. Someone on Twitter mentioned not wanting to compete with NWH still being in theaters as a reason, and that makes sense.

But yeah, meanwhile, the spikes will go back down. We know the vaccines and boosters can handle this new variant fine. Everyone just needs to chill and stop being paranoid. This isn't 2020 where we had delays en mass due to no guaranteed treatment yet.

Wrong, according the news article linked below Sony are worried by the Omicron variant:

https://www.thewrap.com/jared-letos-morbius-bumped-from-january-release-to-april-amid-omicron-surge

So buried in that Deadline article, Warner Bros. had to spend over $200 million buying out talent for the 2021 day and date release strategy.

So buried in that Deadline article, Warner Bros. had to spend over $200 million buying out talent for the 2021 day and date release strategy.

the decision still baffles me even the horrendous mortal kombat movie would have made more $$ in an exclusive theatrical run

thank god, NWH was released. Not because I liked it, but so MoM couldn’t be delayed because NWH was delayed

thats another reason whoever decided at WB to do that deserves to be fired. Now of course late 2020/ early 2021 with so much in doubt I get why they did it for say wonder woman 1984 but after that for Godzilla v Kong and beyond there was zero reason as we all saw the numbers getting better. Even Disney is doing it now and killing their digital sales by putting movies like Shang Chi and Eternals quicker on Disney+. These studios care more now about subscriptions then sales

One of the theaters I frequent most just shutdown for good. Word is that Covid hit them hard and the property was bought out to construct a small mall. Oh well. Seeing Spidey there was a good last memory I suppose.

Spiderman dodged a real bullet
One would think so, but now Scream went and did better than expected at the box office. Uncharted will probably do fine as well thanks to Holland piggybacking off of No Way Home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"