The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Lemme pitch ya something potentially bold:

Dave Bautista as a very DCAU-inspired Lex Luthor.

Man, if it wasn’t for his age, I’d actually think he’d make a very great DCAU-style Darkseid. The kind of quiet, calm, imposing menace he displayed in his short amount of screen time in BR 2049 would be perfect for that character.

Though, I guess you could just make the entire character through motion capture, and just have him do the voice.

I have been watching the Harley Quinn animated series and quite enjoying it. I think its a good look at how particular characters can interact with each other without jeopardizing their true character.

There are scenes with Harley running her mouth and swearing (I'm not saying Harley needs to talk like this in the movies, someone more like Peacemaker) as she stands next to Bats and Bats doesn't start talking or swearing like her.

I could see Superman and Peacemaker in a scene together, PM swearing his mouth off and have Supes turn to someone and ask "does he always talk like this?" and just finding him an entertaining potty mouth.

Man, if it wasn’t for his age, I’d actually think he’d make a very great DCAU-style Darkseid. The kind of quiet, calm, imposing menace he displayed in his short amount of screen time in BR 2049 would be perfect for that character.

Though, I guess you could just make the entire character through motion capture, and just have him do the voice.
Does his age matter a lot for Darkseid?

His age wouldn't matter for Darkseid imo, he'd be all mocap presumably. Dave has been saying he's aged out of Drax because that role is shirtless and covered in make up. He can still wear a mocap suit and act. I'd prefer him as mongul anyway, which would be the same.

How would you guys feel if DCU's Bruce Wayne appeared here?
A person that Clark has to interview or something. A cameo basically.
It'd be a pretty simple way to establish that this is a new interconnected universe, and sets up that new Bruce for the general audience.
Also I'd imagine Gunn would want to cast Batman himself, so putting him in this movie already would allow him to do so.

How would you guys feel if DCU's Bruce Wayne appeared here?
A person that Clark has to interview or something. A cameo basically.
It'd be a pretty simple way to establish that this is a new interconnected universe, and sets up that new Bruce for the general audience.
Also I'd imagine Gunn would want to cast Batman himself, so putting him in this movie already would allow him to do so.

To be honest, I would rather they wait until a World's Finest movie to see this Batman and Superman on screen together. Make the audience wait and anticipate and actually want to see it before giving it to them. Make it special.

The thing about that question is that it’s very tricky. It’s like walking a single strand of a spider web. You have those that want what they consider to be classic and you have those that are open to changes. Though, there will never really be a middle ground with Superman that will satisfy a majority, unfortunately. There’s no solid solution that will work.

What I would like and what I would like them to do are two entirely different things. Personally, I loved Zack’s approach to Superman. He started with the core elements of Superman, reimagined him, his suit, his alien origins, gave us a Kryptonian language that we could read and speak (even though it was sadly unused), put him in a more realistic environment (being that there’s so much hate, fear, and debate now days) and many other things that I loved.

What I would like to be done for this version of Superman is to at least give the fans something close to what they want as far as how he looks and his personality. I’d like a really good drama driven story that doesn’t focus on power levels. I’d like a Superman that makes mistakes, because no one is perfect, but show how he can move on from those mistakes and better himself.

At the end of the day, I know I’m not going to get a version of Superman that I would love with this version and that’s ok. I want someone to come along and do for Superman what Tim Burton did for Batman. Though, if the fans want classic, I say let them have it.

Pretty much every Superman story is focusing on everything but his Powers, with him making mistakes, struggling etc.
I dont know what it is you really seem to want from Superman that is new and fresh.
It sounds more like you simply liked Snyders approach more for its Superficial things like the visuals, the look of the suit.

Outdated being the bulky clothes, the bumbling, and hunching over to make himself look shorter. My solution is simple. Make Superman about 6’0-6’2 and give him more ocular powers rather than a ridiculous amount of strength. Give him the power to change his eye color at will. There’s no need for two different Clark personas. Clark can wear jeans, a plaid shirt and glasses still. He can be the relaxed farm boy and even take his glasses off, because if he has brown eyes and a different style of hair, he would still look like an entirely different person. No one would think twice about him being Superman.

Nobody does either way.
Like Snyders Clark literally just wears Glasses and nobody gives a damn.
Why make things more complicated just to be "realistic" in a IP about a Superhero that can leap tall buildings?
Its comic book logic, not everything has to be explained and make sense.

I get we can just beleive that no one notices Clark but I think it could be fun if the film shows how he has to get around it.

It doesn't have to be in extreme detail but it could make for fun scenarios for us to watch Clark try find ways to hide his identity.

Personally I just think a freelance reporter that sells his work to the Daily planet.

I'd also include a character that works at the DP that looks more like the idea of Supes that woman fall over for which helps keep Clark in the background.

Always come back to Grant Morrison's quote: Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real. Kids understand that real crabs don't sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really ****ing dumb questions like `how does superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the batmobile's tires?' it's a ****ing made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!"

I’m curious about the context of this quote. Was Morrison referring to fellow Superman writers whose expositional approach he disagrees with? Or are the “adults” in question fans?

If it’s the former, fair enough. In hard sci-fi, authors often “explain” (at least up to a point) how advanced tech or strange phenomena function. But with fantasy/science fantasy, there’s wisdom in the “less said, the better” adage. For example, Superman flies. It’s got something to do with Earth’s yellow star. The end.

But if it’s the latter, methinks Morrison is guilty of strawmanning. I’ve seen lots of fellow geeks conjecture in great detail as to how Supes’ powers might work; how/why his suit is indestructible (and does the reason also apply to his cape?); is the Flash faster than Supes (or vice versa)?; etc. etc. But this is playful spitballing. It’s like Trekkers wondering how the transporters’ “Heisenberg compensators” work. (“Very well,” according to the technical advisers. :word:) Put another way, I’ve never encountered an actual Superman fan who abandoned the character because the “explanation” for flight or x-ray vision was scientifically unsatisfactory. Again, it’s just nerdy talk. Morrison should lighten up.

That said… a more pragmatic issue (which you alluded to) pertains to the plausibility of the Clark Kent/glasses disguise. Few of us have the scientific expertise to understand the electromagnetic distinction between yellow and red stars. So when a fantasy author says the difference produces “superpowers,” we just wink and go with it. OTOH, we all have firsthand experience with eyeglasses and their limited ability to camouflage. Thus, some fans have speculated about employing certain changes that might be more convincing. And here, I think the motive is well-meaning. Perhaps one reason that Supes has lost some of his cachet is that modern, “sophisticated” (cynical?) audiences deem the disguise silly. Improve the disguise (somehow) and you enhance the character’s appeal. A contentious suggestion, to be sure. And had Morrison directed his ire to this point, he might be on firmer ground. To wit: the glasses disguise is —like singing crabs in The Little Mermaid — a fantastical artifice. You either accept it or you don’t. But it’s a non-negotiable. And if that turns off the cynics, so be it.

In general, I think “fanwanking” how super powers might (or might not) work, how a disguise might (or might not) be plausible, etc. are pretty harmless activities. Moreover, such conversations can often be stimulating and (especially for aspiring writers) educational. Yet, Morrison seems to be saying don’t critically “engage” with the object of your interest. Just passively accept it. Well, that ain’t gonna happen. That’s kinda the opposite of fandom.

I always liked the idea of Smallville knowing who Clark is but choosing to keep his identity a secret, so that's something I wouldn't mind seeing as a part of this version as well.

I think the glasses arnt really the part that disguises Clark though physically they are but the persona has always been the real disguise at least to me.

Its the fact that Clark is a bumbling, clumsy reporter that keep people from thinking he's Superman. If Clark took his glasses off but maintained the same attitude and demeanor he wouldn't automatically come under suspicion.

The eye color thing just seems kinda unnecessary I know its just an example but I feel like the odds of the two being connected simply because they share the same eye color is non-existent.

I always liked the idea of Smallville knowing who Clark is but choosing to keep his identity a secret, so that's something I wouldn't mind seeing as a part of this version as well.

I always hated that. Why would everyone in a city all do that? There would be multiple people who hate or fear him for various reasons they won't keep his secret no matter how much good he does.

Smallville is no more pure than the rest of the world and there are plenty of peele who would sell Superman out even after he sabes the friggin planet.

I mean, I don't entirely disagree, but it was just a harmless suggestion. *shrugs*

Tilda Swinton, Brainiac
Bryan Thompson, Darkseid
Dave Bautista, mongul
Matthew McConaughey, Lex

There were quite a few of you who replied to my posts, but I’ll just keep this short. I have very unpopular and even controversial ideas as to what I would love to see in a Superman film. It doesn’t bother me. I just like what I like. What I want from this particular film is for you Supes fans to get what you’ve been asking for. It’s literally that simple.

I don't think people here want a rehash of the Donner/Reeve Superman, that seems to be a shallow assessment of people's sentiment here if you've been keeping up with these threads. I feel people want something truer to the character than the last big screen interpretation we got, but also something fresh enough that it's not a rehash. Somewhere between familiar and modern. I think James Gunn is a skilled enough film maker and a fan of character that he would never try to replicate the Donner version. But I think every interpretation of Superman will be a stepping stone to what Gunns version will be.

Tilda Swinton, Brainiac
Bryan Thompson, Darkseid
Dave Bautista, mongul
Matthew McConaughey, Lex

do you reckon they can still use a word like mongol? Wasn’t it an old racist term not that long ago?

I really want the film to open on a big action scene. Would love the classic stopping a train on the loose. Showing supes array of powers. Then we see how he interacts with people and how the world sees him... And we can all sign with releif because it's perfect.

Mongoloid I beleive was a slur word used for people with downs

do you reckon they can still use a word like mongol? Wasn’t it an old racist term not that long ago?

“Mongoloid” is a definite no-no. This was old anthropological designation (along with “Caucasoid,” Negroid,” etc.) that is now deemed obsolete/scientifically wrong and offensive. “Mongoloid” was also pressed into service as a synonym for Downs Syndrome. So, a double offense.

“Mongol,” however, is a different story. In some quarters, it seems to be taken as a slur. But many view the term as interchangeable with “Mongolian” — an ethnic heritage originating from Mongolia. And the Wikipedia entry on “Mongols” makes no mention of any pejorative connotation to the word.

But the broader point you raise is valid. Back in the old days of comics, reducing a character (usually a villain) to his/her ethnicity was fairly common. The one I can think of (thanks to Iron Man 3) is “the Mandarin.” But comic book scholars probably know of more. “Gypsy” (a heroine I learned about from The Flash TV series) has, perhaps, a similar problem.

So what to do? A name change would seem to be one (obvious) solution. But given that some (many?) of these characters were originally inspired by racial stereotypes, wouldn’t a new moniker just be a “cosmetic” fix? Perhaps these characters need to be ditched entirely…? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"