The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I wonder where they are likely to film? Liverpool was such a good choice for Gotham. Atlanta is always popular. Sydney was the stand in in superman returns and I don’t think it’s impossible if they came back but I would love more of a golden age theme. I was watching the Fleischer cartoon this morning and revelling in the design

Whenever the first trailer releases, hopefully it's as effective as the teaser for Superman Returns. This trailer was just perfection.

Still gives me Goosebumps.

I never thought of that but I did think Snyder wanted darker versions of the Trinity. I bet Snyder loved Injustice Superman and Batman returns Superman. He wanted an edgy Man of Steel. Batman branding villains and Wonder Woman with a sword cutting of heads.

Thats not really a guess game, the man literally said over and over again how he likes his comics to be dark, bloody and edgy.
In 2023 this cant be news to people.

As much as people love to still clown on Man of Steel and BvS with it rent free in their heads- I love both and have no problem saying that- I'd love to see Gunn deliver a scene of Clark's abilities that comes even close to the first flight scene in Man of Steel.

Also, for the record, folks who still have an issue with Superman snapping Zod's neck, don't tell me you're fine with Batman not saving Ra's in Begins or tackling Harvey, causing his death in The Dark Knight.

I love how especially snyderfans argued this whole thing to death that we have come to the point where yes...people finally have a problem with these things.
For years and years i was telling people how Batmans "But i dont have to save you" to Ra's was such an awful thing to say.
Ive been saying this forever that him activly refusing to save Ra's...was garbage.
And im so glad that Snyderfans in their constant whiny approach to justify Snyders Batman killing people left and right...strengthened Batmans no kill rule and peoples perception on it so much .

So this is not an origin story, but I wonder if it's another case of "he is not really the character we know and love yet".

So this is not an origin story, but I wonder if it's another case of "he is not really the character we know and love yet".
God I hope not. I hate hearing "just wait for the sequel, we'll have more action, and it will be the characters you know and love".

Why?? Just do it right the first time.

I think Gunn is going to give fans some boring, unimaginative, overpowered, Donner rehash. Superman will have the plain spandex with the underwear over it, the S-curl, outdated Clark disguise, smiling at the camera, saving a cat from a burning house, lifting something laughably ridiculous with ease, and the good-ol Donner theme…again.

But, that’s what most Superman fans seem to want and I think they’ll get it.

Given their statements about this they've said "he's kindness in a world that doesn't believe in kindness anymore" I'd at least think characterization wise he may feel a lot closer to a classic superman.

I think Gunn is going to give fans some boring, unimaginative, overpowered, Donner rehash. Superman will have the plain spandex with the underwear over it, the S-curl, outdated Clark disguise, smiling at the camera, saving a cat from a burning house, lifting something laughably ridiculous with ease, and the good-ol Donner theme…again.

Some of y’all are so desperate to hate on Gunn that I honestly wonder why you even are on a board about the character if you hate Superman that much.

Criticizing his Superman for likely being overpowered? What character do you think we’re talking about? Where has Gunn said ANYTHING about Superman’s power level in the movie?

If another director respects the source material, they’re doing the right thing. If Gunn does it, it’s unimaginative and boring and a rehash.

Some of y’all are so desperate to hate on Gunn that I honestly wonder why you even are on a board about the character if you hate Superman that much.

Criticizing his Superman for likely being overpowered? What character do you think we’re talking about? Where has Gunn said ANYTHING about Superman’s power level in the movie?

If another director respects the source material, they’re doing the right thing. If Gunn does it, it’s unimaginative and boring and a rehash.

Maybe everyone's just jumping the Gunn. :o

The Snyderverse cult and dc haters are out in full force trying to be negative on the message boards and on YouTube. Gunn’s phase one plan sucks so much that people are actually buying comic books again. Wow that tells you how bad the phase 1 plan is.:rolleyes::eek:

B4DB26D2-5A55-4AD1-9215-3C5FFFC9DA36.gif

Not surprised by the reaction though.

Do I hate Superman? No. Do I hate Gunn? No. Am I being negative? No (even though some people believe any opinion that doesn’t align with theirs is negative ). Do I hate DC? Hell no!

Like I said, I believe Gunn is going to give Superman fans what they seem to want. The same things they’ve been asking for endlessly. IMO, I find much of that boring. Though, I’m pretty sure Gunn will deliver.

I'm gonna wait and see what Gunn gives us .

At the end of the day , results speak for themselves.
Either it lands with people or it doesn't .

I'm not all that concerned about people's views on Gunn.
DC fans are polarized.
So what else is new ? :funny:.

View attachment 61913

Not surprised by the reaction though.

Do I hate Superman? No. Do I hate Gunn? No. Am I being negative? No (even though some people believe any opinion that doesn’t align with theirs is negative ). Do I hate DC? Hell no!

Like I said, I believe Gunn is going to give Superman fans what they seem to want. The same things they’ve been asking for endlessly. IMO, I find much of that boring. Though, I’m pretty sure Gunn will deliver.

Didn't Snyder give fans something different though for the past decade? He gave us a different, non-traditional Superman who was economical with words, was more stoic, remote and furtive and either ostracised as an alien or hailed as some kind of deity. He was often a borderline killing machine too who seemed like he was inevitably headed to the dark side, especially in the future.

I think many fans want a return to the core values and characteristics of Superman instead of yet another experiment.

Mainstream Superman is someone Happy he is not Batman he likes to interact and help Regular People Snyderverse Superman works if he is an Elseworld but not for the Mainstream DC Universe Superman the best Superman Stories are not about his Power or Villains but about Morality and Ethics.its about inspiring others

Last edited:
So what should they aim for then @Mindreaper21?
They obviously tried something Else and it failed.

But what is it that you would like them to Do with Superman?

Given their statements about this they've said "he's kindness in a world that doesn't believe in kindness anymore" I'd at least think characterization wise he may feel a lot closer to a classic superman.
Yeah, was glad to hear that line. It’s been forgotten in some of the recent stuff although it’s definitely apparent in S&L.

NGL, I feel like I’m in a very weird place as a Superman fan because I know, without a doubt, that James Gunn will not give me the Superman movie I want. He’s not capable as a filmmaker of making a movie I will love. I’ve seen pretty much his entire filmography at this point, and I know this. His sensibilities simply do not align with mine. The absolute best I can hope for is a movie I can still find some enjoyment in, despite some things.

However, I do believe it’s very likely he will make a Superman film that hits with the GA, and sadly, the bar is so incredibly low at this point that I would see this as a HUGE win for Supes. Gunn seems to have some actual respect and reverence for the character, which is at least a step up from the last guy. So while I know I ain’t getting my dream Superman film anytime soon, I do have hope for this project to at least be able to improve Superman’s standing in public consciousness, and get the franchise on more solid footing so that when Gunn hands the baton off to another storyteller (which I’m hoping will be sooner than later), maybe THEY will be able give me the Superman I’ve always wanted on film. So I look forward to this Superman movie in that context: It’s not the one for me, but hopefully it’s good enough for other people that it’s a step in the right direction toward the one that could eventually be for me.

I think he's going to give us something more comic book inspired. I don't think he's going to use the movies that have already come before as his only frame of reference.

So what should they aim for then @Mindreaper21?
They obviously tried something Else and it failed.

But what is it that you would like them to Do with Superman?

The thing about that question is that it’s very tricky. It’s like walking a single strand of a spider web. You have those that want what they consider to be classic and you have those that are open to changes. Though, there will never really be a middle ground with Superman that will satisfy a majority, unfortunately. There’s no solid solution that will work.

What I would like and what I would like them to do are two entirely different things. Personally, I loved Zack’s approach to Superman. He started with the core elements of Superman, reimagined him, his suit, his alien origins, gave us a Kryptonian language that we could read and speak (even though it was sadly unused), put him in a more realistic environment (being that there’s so much hate, fear, and debate now days) and many other things that I loved.

What I would like to be done for this version of Superman is to at least give the fans something close to what they want as far as how he looks and his personality. I’d like a really good drama driven story that doesn’t focus on power levels. I’d like a Superman that makes mistakes, because no one is perfect, but show how he can move on from those mistakes and better himself.

At the end of the day, I know I’m not going to get a version of Superman that I would love with this version and that’s ok. I want someone to come along and do for Superman what Tim Burton did for Batman. Though, if the fans want classic, I say let them have it.

What is this based on exactly lol

As much as people love to still clown on Man of Steel and BvS with it rent free in their heads- I love both and have no problem saying that- I'd love to see Gunn deliver a scene of Clark's abilities that comes even close to the first flight scene in Man of Steel. The deaths Batman causes in the trilogy are also all perfectly fine by me, Ras is pushing it but the rest I've no objection to.

Also, for the record, folks who still have an issue with Superman snapping Zod's neck, don't tell me you're fine with Batman not saving Ra's in Begins or tackling Harvey, causing his death in The Dark Knight.
I have no issue with any of those examples, I think the scene of Superman snapping Zod's neck is poorly directed and doesn't carry the weight it should but I straight up don't actually care and think a young Clark being put in a horrible situation where Zod more or less uses him to commit suicide by cop has the potential to be impactful.

But that's how it is with a lot of Man of Steel: I don't mind that the destruction of the city is horrifying, I think in a Superman story if a building full of people collapses there should be a sense that it was full of people and its a massive, serious tragedy... but it just doesn't sell any of those things. It's just visual noise, I don't feel that the carnage is tragic because Metropolis doesn't feel like a real place filled with real characters (something the opening of BvS, an all-time great CBM scene, sells far better) and I don't feel the impact of him being put in a no-win scenario by Zod where he has to kill him.

They live rent free in people's heads in DC fandom because the movies in the franchise are all still being made in reaction to BvS. And, also, they're extremely funny in weird and memorable ways.

Sincerely curious what you mean by "Outdated Clark disguise"? What do you think would be a modern, effective Clark disguise? I feel like trying to overthink the Clark Kent persona always comes with a sense of shame about the characters roots.

Totally random thought, but I just noticed in Knock at the Cabin that the \S/ tattoo on Dave Bautista’s finger appears to be a tattoo he has IRL since he has it in both this and Glass Onion, so I guess he’s a fan of big blue. I’d be surprised if Gunn didn’t find a place for him somewhere in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"