The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I’m fine with taking inspiration from All-Star and the Silver Age stuff, but I’m going to be pissed if we get mad scientist Luthor. It would be so WB to conclude that the reason everyone hated Eisenberg was because CEO Luthor is boring or whatever.

I’m fine with taking inspiration from All-Star and the Silver Age stuff, but I’m going to be pissed if we get mad scientist Luthor. It would be so WB to conclude that the reason everyone hated Eisenberg was because CEO Luthor is boring or whatever.

Mad scientist Luthor in his off time and President "Man of the people" as a face. If someone like Donald Trump can be president then I cant imagine a weird future where Musk is president..combine the two with extra elements of comics and it would make sense.

mad scientist Lex is fun. Just dont make him too strange.Id say use the DCAU and Young justice as the framework though yea.

Mad scientist Luthor in his off time and President "Man of the people" as a face. If someone like Donald Trump can be president then I cant imagine a weird future where Musk is president..combine the two with extra elements of comics and it would make sense.

isn’t it funny how for so long people said superman just couldn’t be relatable to todays world and yet actually you can argue he’s very relatable indeed to today haha

President Lex may be too on the nose, given the real life anarchy and stupidity of Trump's tenure. HOWEVER, putting that aside, if it were to happen my ideal would be stages through the trilogy (or DCU arc or whatever). Starts out as business mogul Lex for the first movie or two, then becomes President for a movie or two and finally when he's exposed/arrested/escapes, then we the get classic mad scientist.

I have to say, as much as I love All-Star, I am extremely wary of them returning to a Silver Age mindset for Superman in general. I can't help but equate the Silver Age with Reeve/Donner cinematically and I just want Post-Crisis Supes to get his due on the big screen more than anything. Going back to Silver Age feels so regressive to me, so I hope Gunn is only taking inspiration from All-Star in spirit, and not approach/characterization.

Also, I was watching some random George Reeves episodes yesterday, and I still think if you're gonna use Morrison for inspiration, their Golden Age-inspired stuff from N52 Action Comics is MUCH more the way to go. Reeves was just as magical as Reeve in the role to me, and I'm sorry that his work was so long ago that so many generations are missing it. Clark Kent and Lois Lane as rivals with banter is just a joyful dynamic to watch. The resurgence of Golden Age aspects that writers like Morrison and Waid brought back in the Post-Crisis era feels simultaneously true to the original intents behind the character AND very fresh and modern, imo.

I think Evil Billionaire Lex is much more relevant today then when he was introduced, so it would be a shame to go back to the Gene Hackman "gets put in prison at the end of every story" version of Lex.

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

Not the least bit surprising.

Because this is how Gunn prefers to work. He prefers to direct the projects that he writes himself, plus Superman: Legacy is going to be the first official part of the DCU and essentially act as the Iron Man 1 of the DCU, so he and Safran need to make sure that this film delivers.

I don't see Gunn putting all that work into a Superman movie as the writer and then NOT directing the movie. He's long past the Scooby Doo/Dawn Of The Dead remake phase of his career.

As intrigued to see Gunn's take on the character and as huge a fan of his as I am this makes me sad, to be honest. I would rather him spend that time on something like the apparently now delayed Peacemaker than a film that will almost assuredly be less personal and weird.

As intrigued to see Gunn's take on the character and as huge a fan of his as I am this makes me sad, to be honest. I would rather him spend that time on something like the apparently now delayed Peacemaker than a film that will almost assuredly be less personal and weird.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Less weird, probably. It'll certainly have less of Gunn's typical irreverent comedy, I'm sure. But Gunn's favorite DC film ever is Superman II and supposedly he has a very close fondness for Superman due to memories of his dad growing up (I'll try to track down the source on that story to be sure though).

Not the least bit surprising.

Because this is how Gunn prefers to work. He prefers to direct the projects that he writes himself, plus Superman: Legacy is going to be the first official part of the DCU and essentially act as the Iron Man 1 of the DCU, so he and Safran need to make sure that this film delivers.

Didn't Gunn turn down the offer to direct Superman in favor of the Suicide Squad? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought Gunn said that he wasn't right for that character.

I'm wondering what changed his mind. Gunn should know better than most people that fans will not be happy if he makes too many unnecessary changes to the character's personality or mythology.

Didn't Gunn turn down the offer to direct Superman in favor of the Suicide Squad? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought Gunn said that he wasn't right for that character.

I'm wondering what changed his mind. Gunn should know better than most people that fans will not be happy if he makes too many unnecessary changes to the character's personality or mythology.

I don't see Gunn doing that. At all. And we know that Gunn's been reading at least All-Star Superman and Superman: Up in the Sky as points of reference while writing the script. I'd be shocked if he deviates much from the Superman we know and love.

I have to say, as much as I love All-Star, I am extremely wary of them returning to a Silver Age mindset for Superman in general. I can't help but equate the Silver Age with Reeve/Donner cinematically and I just want Post-Crisis Supes to get his due on the big screen more than anything. Going back to Silver Age feels so regressive to me, so I hope Gunn is only taking inspiration from All-Star in spirit, and not approach/characterization.

Also, I was watching some random George Reeves episodes yesterday, and I still think if you're gonna use Morrison for inspiration, their Golden Age-inspired stuff from N52 Action Comics is MUCH more the way to go. Reeves was just as magical as Reeve in the role to me, and I'm sorry that his work was so long ago that so many generations are missing it. Clark Kent and Lois Lane as rivals with banter is just a joyful dynamic to watch. The resurgence of Golden Age aspects that writers like Morrison and Waid brought back in the Post-Crisis era feels simultaneously true to the original intents behind the character AND very fresh and modern, imo.

The original classic 50's Superman show was fantastic and George Reeves was definitely iconic in his time. To a whole generation of kids, he was Superman personified.

I discovered it through reruns on Nick at Nite as a kid. Funny enough, this was actually my introduction to George Reeves:

tumblr_ox7i3qUXN51u501aoo3_400.gif

As a kid, Chris Reeve was the only Superman I knew and I was scratching my head, wondering, who is this guy. :funny:

He obviously didnt want to direct the Snyder version which was nothing like the Superman he connects to.

He obviously didnt want to direct the Snyder version which was nothing like the Superman he connects to.
You mean the one that kills and levels cities and shows remorse without the film establishing why Superman killing someone should be a big deal. :o

Not surprised Gunn may end up directing. I like the choice just fine. I always though David Lowery was a fun choice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"