The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Personally I would've preferred for a Calvin Ellis movie set in more modern times but I'm open to it being a period peace if that's the way their going. Also people please remember that Calvin Ellis is Kal-El as well. Clark Kent isn't the only Kal-El.
Calvin Ellis, Kryptonian name Kalel, also known as Superman, is a Kryptonian

Calvin Ellis

i have little doubts he is going to be Clark, but hey we never know

i'm all for a black Superman themed movie set as a period piece. It could make for a powerful piece. And if it directed by Barry Jenkins, i would be in heaven

I’m eager for people like @flickchick85 @Boy Scout thoughts on this.

Personally, for me, it’s gotta be Clark. You don’t do something “inspired by the original Superman comics” and not go with the OG character, imo. I also think Clark is simply the more tantalizing the character to go go with than someone like Val or Calvin. He’s the guy with the rogues gallery and the inordinate wealth of stories to draw upon for source material.

Last edited:
To no one's surprise, when Campea brought this up in his show today, Geeks+Gamers folks made it well known in the chat that they don't like it. One of them even with his own name (Uche something).

I just don't know why one would use Calvin Ellis instead of Clark Kent, especially since--as posters are pointing out--their story is largely identical, with the exception of their day jobs / alter-ego name.

Clark comes from Krypton.
Calvin comes from Krypton.

Clark's mother and father are named Lara and Jor-El.
Calvin's mother and father are name Lara and Jorel.

Clark is adopted by a poor but kindly couple and raised in the Midwest.
Calvin is adopted by a poor but kindly couple and raised in the Midwest.

Clark's arch nemesis is Lex Luthor.
Calvin's arch nemesis is Lex Luthor.

Clark wears a red & blue suit with a 'S' on his chest as Superman.
Calvin wears a red & blue suit with a 'S' on his chest as Superman.

And do people actually like the idea of the United States President also being a costumed superhero? I understand the parallel to President Obama, but is that enough to justify a film adaptation -- doesn't that storyline feel a little on-the-nose? And also, if this is a period-piece, does the President angle still work?

Right. You might as well stick with Clark Kent at that point.

A down-to-earth reporter with rural roots > the President of the United States.

Yes please.

Personally, for me, it’s gotta be Clark. You don’t do something “inspired by the original Superman comics” and not go with the OG character, imo. I also think Clark is simply the more tantalizing the character to worth with than someone like Val or Calvin. He’s the guy with the rogues gallery and an inordinate wealth of stories to draw upon for source material.

I wouldn’t say it has to be Clark, but I don’t see the point of going with Calvin or Val-Zod at this point (to say nothing of creating an entirely new civilian identity). As much as I would love to see President Superman in live action, I think the best way to make a statement would be to “race bend” Clark and make a point to address how differently he would be treated because of the color of his (alien) skin.

I’m sure there’s more to the character because I’ve only read his brief intro in Final Crisis but the whole premise of Calvin doesn’t work for me. It just feels like an awkward, ultra romanticized ode to Obama.

I just don't know why one would use Calvin Ellis instead of Clark Kent, especially since--as posters are pointing out--their story is largely identical, with the exception of their day jobs / alter-ego name.

Clark comes from Krypton.
Calvin comes from Krypton.

Clark's mother and father are named Lara and Jor-El.
Calvin's mother and father are name Lara and Jorel.

Clark is adopted by a poor but kindly couple and raised in the Midwest.
Calvin is adopted by a poor but kindly couple and raised in the Midwest.

Clark's arch nemesis is Lex Luthor.
Calvin's arch nemesis is Lex Luthor.

Clark wears a red & blue suit with a 'S' on his chest as Superman.
Calvin wears a red & blue suit with a 'S' on his chest as Superman.

And do people actually like the idea of the United States President also being a costumed superhero? I understand the parallel to President Obama, but is that enough to justify a film adaptation -- doesn't that storyline feel a little on-the-nose? And also, if this is a period-piece, does the President angle still work?
They’re not even really different characters like Miles Morales and Peter Parker are different characters. Calvin Ellis is literally just an alternate universe version of Clark modeled off Barack Obama. Calvin Ellis is kind of like if Brian Micheal Bendis race-swapped Peter Parker to be black in the Ultimate Universe.

They’re not even really different characters like Miles Morales and Peter Parker are different characters. Calvin Ellis is literally just an alternate universe version of Clark modeled off Barack Obama. Calvin Ellis is kind of like if Brian Micheal Bendis race-swapped Peter Parker to be black in the Ultimate Universe.
Calvin is different but the problem is his history hasn't been fleshed out really yet.

Calvin is different but the problem is his history hasn't been fleshed out really yet.
I’m aware he’s different to a degree, but in terms of his basic origin and rogues gallery he shares too much of it with Clark, as he’s meant to be him from a alternate universe where DC heroes are more diverse. I don’t think he stands out from Clark as a character as much as Miles does from Peter enough to warrant a feature centered on him, not unless you change and flesh the character out from the comics.

I’m aware he’s different to a degree, but in terms of his basic origin and rogues gallery he shares too much of it with Clark, as he’s meant to be him from a alternate universe where DC heroes are more diverse. I don’t think he stands out from Clark as a character as much as Miles does from Peter enough to warrant a feature centered on him, not unless you change and flesh the character out from the comics.
Miles is only different because his history is more fleshed out. But he still fights the same villains and maybe some new ones.

Val is pretty much a whole separate character. Calvin though is more or less an elseworlds reimagining of Kal-El. If you're going to change the appearance of Kal-El that much, I don't see the big deal of changing his name to Calvin as well and not necessarily stick with Clark because their origin stories are the same.

Miles is only different because his history is more fleshed out. But he still fights the same villains and maybe some new ones.
I respectfully disagree a bit there. Miles and Peter don’t share the same real name, and don’t have practically the same origin story/upbringing. Calvin is basically another elseworlds re-imagining of Clark, while Miles is not meant to be an alternate universe version of Peter but an entirely new character. In essence, Calvin is more or less Morrison “race-bending” Kal-El for an alternate universe.

Last edited:
Still holding out hope for some of this...

I’d say I agree in this especially coming from my leaning towards the Golden Age/early New 52 version of the character. If one wanted Superman to relate more to what’s been going on in modern times, why not be like the version(s) who’ve had very strong opinions on corrupt cops, politicians, the KKK, school shootings, etc. and very strong approaches to dealing with them?

Now, I honestly never imagined WB would go that route with Superman on a big scale such as a tent pole/blockbuster film, but the idea is cool. The idea is even cooler if he were played by a Black actor.

Edit: Just quoting myself to give a better idea of what I’m talking about...

A moment like this would be nice...

Well being from the African American community myself, I'm highly skeptical they will represent a huge segment of the community overall.

African American's can hold two thoughts in their mind at once. They can be ,and are fond of, the white iterations of Superman, but they will also give a black Superman a chance , so that's not even an issue. Any fanboys hoping that Blacks will turn their back on a Black Superman is kidding themselves.

The bottom line is there are going to be people who can't accept the idea of a Black Superman, Clark or not. If they're that outraged about it, they won't see it, and WB certainly shouldn't be so naive to be surprised if that happens.

So yes, there's going to be a backlash , though the response to the idea of a Black Superman has actually been more divided in fandom then I thought, i.e. there are alot more people open to it than alot of fanboys would like.

The question is , how many people will see the film and give it a chance.
I predict a huge Black turnout at the box office at least. We had aunties, uncles, grandmas and grandads go watch Black Panther. I’m certain they will go see a Black Superman.

It’s up in the air on how the white audience will turn out for this.

Given what we've seen in the last 10 or so years & the fact that they can't even depict what is typically considered 'standard' Superman canon to a pleasing standard, I have next to no confidence in their ability to tell an elseworlds or alternate sort of story involving the character that will be pleasing to fans.

Absolutely reeks of a PR move in light of WB's recent bad press & allegations of racism & mistreatment. Bonuses are probably due as well & they need to get the wheels moving on a Superman movie otherwise they won't get.. this kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Personally, for me, it’s gotta be Clark. You don’t do something “inspired by the original Superman comics” and not go with the OG character, imo. I also think Clark is simply the more tantalizing the character to go go with than someone like Val or Calvin. He’s the guy with the rogues gallery and the inordinate wealth of stories to draw upon for source material.

I’d prefer a racebent Clark or Val-Zod over Calvin, tbh. I also don’t want a period piece.

I predict a huge Black turnout at the box office at least. We had aunties, uncles, grandmas and grandads go watch Black Panther. I’m certain they will go see a Black Superman.

It’s up in the air on how the white audience will turn out for this.

I don’t know man. There was a way that Ryan Coogler, Disney and that whole production team handled Black Panther that I don’t think WB can deliver. I’d love to be pleasantly surprised, but if they don’t come correct with not just Black Superman but his world also, I can see Black Twitter eating it alive.

But time will tell.

Still holding out hope for some of this...

I like looking to Birthright for inspiration for the film’s plot, so definitely agree there.

And although I will argue for Clark Kent being the Superman in this film (I suppose you could rename him Calvin Kent or Calvin Ellis & just adapt Kent’s story although that seems unnecessary), I do think Val Zod’s costume would be awesome to see.

If it's not apart of this new DCEU they're creating then why?? It comes off as pandering to us at this point, like "Hey, we know we lack diversity so here you go but this character won't have any significance to the overall movie universe" so why get invested? Also, almost a slap in the face to Ray Fisher. If they wanted a Black superhero, they had Cyborg right there waiting.

My guess is that the story was pitched to them awhile ago , and once Abrams made a deal with WB, he chose that as his project.

They were always going to reboot Superman post The JL drama ,anyway , but it's only now they've gotten the ball rolling.

I doubt the reboot, even if it was going to be a white actor ,as alot of fanboys wanted, was going to be in the DCEU anyway.

WB has already moved away from the Marvel Style " everything is in the same continuity" with Joker and now with The Batman, so that's nothing new.

As far as Black superhero's they can do both. They should have a Cyborg and Vixen film and they can also develop a Black Superman film if they've got the story for it. I'd love to see a Black Lightning film and Static Shock.

As far as Black superhero's they can do both. They should have a Cyborg and Vixen film and they can also develop a Black Superman film if they've got the story for it. I'd love to see a Black Lightning film and Static Shock.

John Stewart Green Lantern too. I’ve been saying there doesn’t need to be a limit on Black superhero movies for WB or Marvel Studios. Make all of them! With the best care and attention to good quality of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"