The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I think this is a good physique for his height. The costume will have a muscle component to it because they all do. He'll look beefier in the suit I imagine.

Plus it allows him to fall into the disguise as Clark (I do think Clark is who he is but you know what I mean)

Singer thought this would be a good idea... really?

But this gag looks to be a masterpiece next to have Superman say "no one stays good in this world".

NO ONE STAYS GOOD IN THIS WORLD is a thing Snyderman said.

Ugh.
Believe it or not I actually got up and walked out at that very moment, I didn't finish seeing the rest of the film until the "ultimate cut" came out on DVD and boy do I wish I hadn't! I thought about taking Snyder and WB to court and demand those 3 hours of my life back!
For Superman (the symbol of "hope" according to the movie itself) to spit out such a nihilistic statement is so contradicory, it actually ended up being to be funniest moment in that dreaded movie. Honestly, while I'm still unsure about James Gunn and his plans for Superman and DC I will forever be thankful to him for putting an end to that hack Snyder and his "vision" for the DC universe. No one can guarantee that Gunn will do much better but I can personally guarantee that he won't do worse.

Speaking of getting crazy emotional...

Posting gifs of Batman & Robin because I want to fit in even though this is a Superman thread until we get an official look at David as Superman (day 2)

686a117e615928913b4a5f66bc9056894b86da32.gifv

f4015b178164d81e52cb0ec592fd86c6580db399.gifv

193e3943c1813a0408cc323241fed714488c15de.gif

a3d82b7d93422cfb526abb8936b7c9287cbdabf9.gifv

12863edcbf52a2c59f46724aafbbca8b9065ce93.gifv

But this gag looks to be a masterpiece next to have Superman say "no one stays good in this world".

NO ONE STAYS GOOD IN THIS WORLD is a thing Snyderman said.

Ugh.

Believe it or not I actually got up and walked out at that very moment... For Superman (the symbol of "hope" according to the movie itself) to spit out such a nihilistic statement is so contradictory...
It surprises me that this line elicits the reaction described. Surprising because it’s rather clear from the narrative that Superman is at his lowest point of anguish and disillusionment due to Lex’s machinations and manipulations. So his response seems entirely appropriate and entirely human, given the dramatic context. (After all, even Jesus — in his darkest moment — succumbed to an uncharacteristic expression of despair: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)

Moreover, and just prior to his self-sacrifice, Superman tells Lois: “This is my world. You are my world.” This would appear to indicate a reassessment and repudiation of his prior statement. (Typically, you don’t fight for a cause you don’t believe in.) Thus, the apposition of the two sentiments — especially given the similar phrasing — seems quite deliberate.

It surprises me that this line elicits the reaction described. Surprising because it’s rather clear from the narrative that Superman is at his lowest point of anguish and disillusionment due to Lex’s machinations and manipulations. So his response seems entirely appropriate and entirely human, given the dramatic context. (After all, even Jesus — in his darkest moment — succumbed to an uncharacteristic expression of despair: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)
I can't put my finger on why it made me cringe, but I think it's a number of things. The main one being that it's jarring to hear Superman say something so negative, regardless of the circumstance but I can get behind Superman being uncharacteristic if the story is done well. It also feels like it was written by an edgy teenager trying to copy "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

But ultimately I think the line would've landed better if we got to see the quintessential optimistic, hopeful Superman to provide a contrast to his hopeless feelings in that moment. As it stands, Supes is a wet paper towel throughout 95% of the movie, spouting more hopeless, uncharacteristic lines like "Superman was never real. Just the dream of a farmer from Kansas." If he were truly portrayed as a beacon of hope and prosperity earlier in the film then when he said "No one stays good in this world" it would've had more weight and impact and wouldn't have been as triggering.

Last edited:

Moreover, and just prior to his self-sacrifice, Superman tells Lois: “This is my world. You are my world.” This would appear to indicate a reassessment and repudiation of his prior statement. (Typically, you don’t fight for a cause you don’t believe in.) Thus, the apposition of the two sentiments — especially given the similar phrasing — seems quite deliberate.
Yeah that would work if any of it was earned...it wasn't. Superman at his lowest only works if you see him at his highest...we never do. We never get to see Superman not distrustful of society so his lowest is just one step lower than normal. He is never idealistic so the doubt is closer to nihilism than anything else.

Solid idea, terrible execution in literally every way.

Still love Man of Steel and BvS so-

giphy.gif

Is it what everyone would want in Superman? No, not even Donner could achieve that, but I still like a Superman who isn't 100 percent wedded to the world. Even Hoechlin's Superman touches on that.

Listen, nothing against you personally but I have no intention what so ever in getting into yet another discussion about BvS and it's sh**y handling of Superman because Lord knows I wasted enough time doing so back in 2016 when so many Snyder cult nutcases were infesting this forum.
I will say this one thing and then move on: In that abomination of a movie Superman starts out moody and it gets worse and worse culminating in his self-isolation on that mountain where he ends up having his 'acid-trip' conversation with pa Kent and one would think that after having to complete this long, arduous arc of self-descovery we will finally get the 'real' hopeful Superman that we've been teased with at the end of MOS but NO, certainly not in a Snyder movie. Instead of a proper arc we get a full circle where Clark starts out down and moody and ends up down and moody right before getting killed by cave-troll wannabe Doomsday.
The result of all of this is a movie that was derided by fans and critics (received a mighty 29% on RT) and absolutely loathed by the general public (BvS had the lowest multiplier of any movie with a 100 mill + opening in Hollywood history). It's truly an accomplishment for a movie that has Superman and Batman on screen together for the first time to not manage to crack 900 mill in an era where Capt America, Ironman, Cap Marvel and Black Panther were breaking the billion dollar mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"