The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

U r saying he will be involved in action scenes......

I’m saying he looks like he can handle himself in a fight more so than any other iteration of Pa Kent.

Look in his filmography, chances are VERY high that he usually plays a mobster, a convict, or a cop the most. It is the image that is reflected in most of the visuals of what he has been in.

So not only is it off type in the comics, probably a detour for the norm for him as well.

Unless you actually want to make the argument that he is the classic image of Pa Kent?

Or...or...OR...Gunn see's something in him and he's playing against type. Just because this guy isn't the typical actor that would play this part, doesn't mean we're all of a sudden seeing a Pa Kent that's radically different than we're used to seeing.

I feel like we've been fed so much traditionally handsome Pa Kent in recent memory that people forget that he's been portrayed as an older, balding, heavier-type before. I admit my initial reaction was "Huh???" but after thinking about it a bit, I really like the idea of Pa Kent looking like any random dude you'd meet at the grocery store. I know several guys that have the same general features as Pruitt and they're some of the kindest, most gentle souls I've ever known. Pa Kent doesn't need to be dashing, that's what Superman is. Pa Kent could literally look like anyone since he's just a farmer in Kansas. I think it's a nice contrast that Clark Kent is a physical specimen while his adopted dad has a dumpier, couch potato appearance.

Also, I just listened to an interview he did at Horror Con and I love his voice and his natural cadence for Pa Kent. He sounds very warm and chill and I'm sure he'll ultimately win over everyone who has initial reservations about his appearance.

I’m a little surprised, but I don’t hate it.

I do like the idea of looking at the Kent family and being reasonably sure right off the bat that an adoption took place there. I don’t think that would’ve been the case if Gunn had cast Kurt Russell. He actually looks like he could be David’s father.

Pa Kent has arrived!

The serial killer from The Devil's Candy as Pa Kent is so WILD but I'm digging it. I'm sure that audition was great.

062ca4e9713c5db2c9476e9f4cf72fb21b0b7f41.gifv

What's funny is I can actually see Ethan Embry play Pa Kent who's also in that movie.

I love this actor by the way. I’ve only seen him play creepers and villains though so it will be fun to see him play a good guy for once. :up:
The Legend of 1900 looks like something you might like. I've only seen bits and pieces on YouTube, but Pruitt plays a relatively moral character in that.

Last edited:
I really like Pruitt as an actor. He's been one of the better characters actors of the last couple of decades.

With that said, I really do not like this choice for Pa Kent. I hope I am proven wrong but this is the first casting choice I've been disappointed in.

I mean, Kurt Russell would have been the perfect casting and would have given this film some needed star power.
I think it's pretty obvious by now Gunn doesn't care about star power.

I feel like we've been fed so much traditionally handsome Pa Kent in recent memory that people forget that he's been portrayed as an older, balding, heavier-type before. I admit my initial reaction was "Huh???" but after thinking about it a bit, I really like the idea of Pa Kent looking like any random dude you'd meet at the grocery store. I know several guys that have the same general features as Pruitt and they're some of the kindest, most gentle souls I've ever known. Pa Kent doesn't need to be dashing, that's what Superman is. Pa Kent could literally look like anyone since he's just a farmer in Kansas. I think it's a nice contrast that Clark Kent is a physical specimen while his adopted dad has a dumpier, couch potato appearance.

Also, I just listened to an interview he did at Horror Con and I love his voice and his natural cadence for Pa Kent. He sounds very warm and chill and I'm sure he'll ultimately win over everyone who has initial reservations about his appearance.
Yeah, this is a good take. Completely agree.

So… which character actress are we thinking of for Martha, then?

Pruitt Taylor Vince... Great actor but I have to say, this is the first casting that’s shocked me, simply because I always think of him as a guy who plays serial killers because of that stupid Identity movie. But he’s done a lot of other (better) stuff like The Legend of 1900. I’m sure he’ll be great. Gunn usually doesn’t miss with his casting, even if he goes the unconventional route.

I actually really like the casting choice. Reminds me of my mom‘s dad who was also a farmer when he was alive.
So… which character actress are we thinking of for Martha, then?
Well, since we’re all still looking at people who James Gunn has worked with before, what about Glenn Close? She’s a little over a decade older than Pruitt, but I think it could still work. You could just have it to where he snagged himself an older cougar as a younger man. :beaming:

Well, since we’re all still looking at people who James Gunn has worked with before, what about Glenn Close?
*grabs a piece of chalk and underlines “character actress” a few times*

Glenn still looks great but she’s 77 and PTV is 63. I doubt the age gap between ma and pa will be that big. Though to be fair, casting directors tend to ignore huge age games in male/female couples when the man is much older.

MV5BMjQ3NTg3NTUyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzMzOTMxNDM@._V1_.jpg

The multiple personality guy from Identity?
Twitter is obsessed with this Pic in trying to put the casting down.

While he never came to mind and i don't totally see it (having a potentially bald pa Kent seems strange), I'm open to see what he brings to the role

To me, he comes off more like an enforcer or a henchman or even a villain such as Bane or Solomon Grundy. I picture this Pa Kent getting down and taking names which is far from how he's usually depicted. Calling it right now - Pa Kent is going to be in a lot more action scenes than people are used to.
IMG_4055.jpegIMG_4056.jpegIMG_4057.pngIMG_4058.png

Methinks you don’t know what Bane or Solomon Grundy look like if you think this guy looks more like them than Jonathan Kent.

This Pa Kent has been living on a diet of butter and white gravy like most farmers. He’s no Bane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"