The Flash The Flash Season 4 Episode 10: "The Trial of The Flash"

Avenging Angel

We have unfinished business.
Reaction score
TUESDAY, JANUARY 16

THE FLASH

"The Trial of The Flash" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

Joe (Jesse L. Martin) and Iris (Candice Patton) must decide how far they're willing to go to keep Barry out of prison as his trial for the murder of Clifford DeVoe begins. Philip Chipera directed, the episode is written by Lauren Certo & Kristen Kim (#410). Original airdate 01/16/2018.

[YT]keRX-iwePmw[/YT]

Barry's been late for work 72 times? How is he ever late for work as the Fastest Man Alive?

This would've been so perfect if Laurel was alive and they had her cross over to represent Barry.

Got a feeling Earth 15 wasn't dead but it is now....

Well, could be worse for Barry.

He could've been sent to Arkham.

Gee, after Barry went to prison the Flash disappeared. I wonder what happened? Also hate they replaced DeVoe because this new actor isn't doing it for me.

Good episode though and Dibny is the best thing to happen to this show in a while

Earth 15 was such a cop out. Hope there is fall out from that.

This would've been so perfect if Laurel was alive and they had her cross over to represent Barry.

And that is why it never happened because there is no such thing as a perfect thing in the Arrowverse.:o

Barry being in jail was one of the things he saw in the Speed Force back in the 1st season finale.

And that is why it never happened because there is no such thing as a perfect thing in the Arrowverse.:o

giphy.gif

Whew! that judge was HARSH! He reminded me of Judge Judy. I hope we see his face again when Barry is proven innocent.

Misnamed episode. Should have been, 'The Trial of Barry Allen.'

It was good, though not a surprise that he was found guilty, especially when the Defense did just about nothing to defend him. Just jumping up willy-nilly with a pic of Marlize kissing another man just a day after Clifford's funeral was not too smart. Should have taken a few hours at least to build a story behind it.

When Iris went into the courtroom to expose Barry as the Flash, I actually thought she might say that she killed DeVoe. Especially after Barry stopped her and Marlize asked her how much she would be willing to do for her husband.

Interested to see what happens next.

This,
Whew! that judge was HARSH! He reminded me of Judge Judy. I hope we see his face again when Barry is proven innocent.
Oh Hell Yes!!

This new actor for DeVoe is terrible. And next week’s episode looks pretty lame.

Oh well...

Hope Barry gets some prison tats.

Episode was okay Iris was dumb thinking telling everyone he is the Flash would solve things. Talk about short sighted thinking.

Underwhelmed by tonight's episode. Best part of it was Joe and Ralph teaming up, which was basically the only thing. As others have stated, the new actor portraying Thinker isn't nearly as good as Neil Sandilands was.

Not even Singh and Ralph could save this ep. Don't care about Devoe or his plan or Marlize's role in all this. For a non-speedster big bad, he (and Marlize) are as compelling as rock watching. It's a toss up which was more cringey, Marlize on the stand or WA time break. What a dreary outlook between now and the finale.

Iris was dumb thinking telling everyone he is the Flash would solve things. Talk about short sighted thinking.
That's dear leader for ya.

These shows don't do legal stuff well. Oliver's trial, Moira Queen's trial (and Laurel being assigned to it despite a MASSIVE conflict of interest), this, etc. They all come across as ridiculously contrived and forced. And anyone who watches five seconds of Law & Order or CSI could figure that out.

Honestly Barry getting arrested at all was contrived (I still don't buy that he couldn't have gotten himself out of that situation), and this is even worse unfortunately.

And the fact that they don't even bring up the whole "I'm a CSI, why the heck would I kill someone in the most obvious way possible and implicate myself" thing at all is the most contrived of all.

Also that must be a VERY sheltered judge if THIS is the worst crime that he's ever seen (I've sat in as a spectator on murder trials that were worse than this). Also Cecile is like the worst lawyer ever it would seem.

This is starting to fall into the trap of "make our heroes into bumbling morons just to make the villain SEEM really smart" rather than actually make him believably really smart.

Also if Barry is the worst criminal that this judge has ever seen, and that murder was the worst that he's ever seen as well, then that judge must not have seen a lot of murder cases.

That's dear leader for ya.
It's not like Barry, Cisco, Caitlin, Harry or Joe's never done it. What I'm getting at here is that another character should be brought in to lead the group that they all absolutely trust, has great judgment and doesn't have other responsibilities, who also won't be evil currently or in the future.

Also if Barry is the worst criminal that this judge has ever seen, and that murder was the worst that he's ever seen as well, then that judge must not have seen a lot of murder cases.
I think he was referring to Barry's lack of concern for the situation. But I'm not really sure about that.

^Which makes that judge look even more clueless.

Misnamed episode. Should have been, 'The Trial of Barry Allen.'

It was good, though not a surprise that he was found guilty, especially when the Defense did just about nothing to defend him. Just jumping up willy-nilly with a pic of Marlize kissing another man just a day after Clifford's funeral was not too smart. Should have taken a few hours at least to build a story behind it.

When Iris went into the courtroom to expose Barry as the Flash, I actually thought she might say that she killed DeVoe. Especially after Barry stopped her and Marlize asked her how much she would be willing to do for her husband.

Interested to see what happens next.

This,

Oh Hell Yes!!

If Iris had done that it would have been a interesting twist. That whole story that DeVoe came up with in the photo of kissing another man was interesting.

Hope Barry gets some prison tats.

Episode was okay Iris was dumb thinking telling everyone he is the Flash would solve things. Talk about short sighted thinking.

If she did that it would like bring up more questions. I thought the episode was solid not like great or the best but still good.

Honestly Cecile not challenging Marlize AT ALL on her "oh Clifford was totally cool with this," and the jury just accepting that hook line and sinker was cringe-inducing.

Honestly if they wanted Barry in prison, then it should have been just a "he was denied bail awaiting trial" situation. Then at least this godawful "trial plot" wouldn't have happened.

Also it was hysterical that Barry is STILL pulling the "I cannot tell people that I'm The Flash because my loved ones would be in danger" nonsense at this point. That ship has sailed Barry.

These shows don't do legal stuff well. Oliver's trial, Moira Queen's trial (and Laurel being assigned to it despite a MASSIVE conflict of interest), this, etc. They all come across as ridiculously contrived and forced.

True enough. But the trial in this episode was conspicuously silly - distractingly so. And even the final cross-cutting scene of Flash getting a hero’s commendation and Barry getting sentenced to life in prison - which was, I guess, supposed to be very poignant - struck me as clumsy and amateurish. Very possibly the worst Flash episode ever.

:csad:

Cecile needed to really challenged every prosecution witness:

-Question DeVoe's wife about where she was at the time of his death.
-Ask for details about her new boy toy (also the jury just buying her story wholesale, and Cecile not having any real follow-up questions, was ridiculous).
-Maybe call Dominic to the stand and question him as well.
-Ask Captain Singh if a cop has ever planted evidence before (coughRalphcough), which opens up possible reasonable doubt.
-Ask if a metahuman has ever targeted the police before (the answer is yes). With all of the weird crap in this city, the idea that a metahuman with a grudge might frame Barry isn't that hard to buy.
-Bring up the fact that Barry is a CSI and wouldn't kill someone in such and obvious incriminating way.
-Ask why, if DaVoe was so scared of Barry as to get a restraining order against him, he decided to go alone to talk to Barry at night.
-Etc.

Instead, Cecile's entire defense basically amounted to "but Barry's a nice guy." Yeah because the women who's dating his friend/surrogate father figure/father-in-law, and is pregnant with the latter's child, wouldn't totally have a conflict of interest or anything, ugh.

Seriously I know people fresh out of law school who could have shredded this case to pieces. It would almost have been more believable to have the judge break the fourth wall and go "look, we all know that he's going to be convicted. It's only halfway through the season and we need to stretch this out, so why even bother making it even remotely plausible? Only the villains get to look even moderately intelligent right now, the rest of us are just dumb, really REALLY dumb."

Also there's no way that they'd send Barry to the general population. He's a former CSI who helped send at least some of those inmates to jail in the first place, and it was a high-profile case, you're just asking for him to get killed. He'd be in a separate wing, for his own protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"