The Flash The Flash Season 4 Episode 10: "The Trial of The Flash"

I saw what they were trying to do with this episode, but they just couldn't stick the landing. The Fallout subplot stuff was filler from a mile away, so I didn't even bother watching it.

It also doesn't help that the new Devoe is such a weak actor. It really sticks out in scenes with the good actors like Gustin and Engelbrecht.

I pretty much agree with those who were underwhelmed by the episode, and now I fear we're going to have yet another broody, gloomy, rest of the season of the Flash.

I just find it silly, how this season started off with Barry in the Speed Force jail, and then he gets out, and now he's in real jail.

Last edited:
Hope Barry gets some prison tats.

Episode was okay Iris was dumb thinking telling everyone he is the Flash would solve things. Talk about short sighted thinking.

True, then the Flash is a murderer too.

Well, seeing as Barry is going to be in prison for a few eps, any Kid Flash showing up..?

Honestly Barry getting arrested at all was contrived (I still don't buy that he couldn't have gotten himself out of that situation), and this is even worse unfortunately.

Yes, for a man who can go so fast that no none can see him while he's standing still, he could have gotten rid of the body and cleaned the evidence up, long before the apartment door was open enough for anyone to even look in.

True enough. But the trial in this episode was conspicuously silly - distractingly so. And even the final cross-cutting scene of Flash getting a hero’s commendation and Barry getting sentenced to life in prison - which was, I guess, supposed to be very poignant - struck me as clumsy and amateurish. Very possibly the worst Flash episode ever.

:csad:

I actually liked that part. It showed the dichotomy that has come between the two personalities, one a convicted criminal and the other a lauded hero.

The episode was still good for me, despite the elementary school-level court room scenes. As stated somewhere above, if they are going to go 'in-depth' into court proceedings, then they should watch a few eps of Law and Order. That was more Soap Opera than drama.

I really liked the scene between Joe and Ralph. Ralphy-boy there was talking from personal experience. Can we get him a better costume now? The joke on that has worn off.

And can we not have Frost now seem like the weakest member of the team in terms of power-levels? I loved how Cisco and Harry got her to turn frosty, but then she shot one blast of ice and was then promptly knocked out. They have severely handicapped her. We use to go, 'oh *****, it's Killer Frost!' And now I'm like, 'is it a little chilly in here..?'

I did think it was touching though, that Barry ended up in his father's cell.

Last edited:
Maybe my expectations are too low now, but I wasn’t as bothered by this episode as some of you were. It was pretty meh overall for me.

The rest of the episode BESIDES the trial was pretty good. But since the trial was the show-piece element/main plot, that's a problem.

Maybe my expectations are too low now, but I wasn’t as bothered by this episode as some of you were. It was pretty meh overall for me.
I watched this with super low expectations myself.
I haven’t actually been watching the show. I’m 2 or 3 episodes behind.
Decided that I’d watch this episode just because it was on before Black Lightning(which was fantastic)

It was so boring :funny:

“Give it another chance” I said to myself

“Maybe this will bring back your interest in the show”

dis3.gif

I watched this with super low expectations myself.
I haven’t actually been watching the show. I’m 2 or 3 episodes behind.
Decided that I’d watch this episode just because it was on before Black Lightning(which was fantastic)

It was so boring :funny:

“Give it another chance” I said to myself

“Maybe this will bring back your interest in the show”

dis3.gif

Hahaha.

I was just sitting there like "How about we bring Wally back? Put some respeck on his name."

The thing that really bothers me about the new DeVoe is he reminds me of James Olsen on Supergirl. It just bugs. Plus, he isn't that strong an actor.

Honestly Cecile not challenging Marlize AT ALL on her "oh Clifford was totally cool with this," and the jury just accepting that hook line and sinker was cringe-inducing.

This is an example of this show's weird attitude about disabled people. Most of us would not be "cool" with that.

Honestly if they wanted Barry in prison, then it should have been just a "he was denied bail awaiting trial" situation. Then at least this godawful "trial plot" wouldn't have happened. Yes, that would help this show

Also it was hysterical that Barry is STILL pulling the "I cannot tell people that I'm The Flash because my loved ones would be in danger" nonsense at this point. That ship has sailed Barry.
You would think Ralph or Wells would have pounded that into him

Some things I wanna say.

The courtroom scenes were totally unrealistic. Cecile is the worst DA, the prosecutor wasn't any better. They never gave a motive for why Barry did it. Everything was like Kangaroo Court. Should have been Laurel defending Barry but here we are.

The only good parts were Snowbarrisco team up, except Frost getting knocked out too quickly, she's been known to be stronger than that.

Iris...she gets worse. Her behavior is abhorrent. Barry is a wuss to not call her out on it. Westallen is a joke, their soap opera drama takes up too much screen time. Get rid of her, the best scenes were without her dry heaving.

Dominic's body as Devoe, just no, not working. The actor is so bad it hurts.

Ralph has done the monster of all OOC with Joe wanting to frame Marlize. Those persona's should be switched. And...who is Joe now?

This show held so much promise. :(

Some things I wanna say.

The courtroom scenes were totally unrealistic. Cecile is the worst DA, the prosecutor wasn't any better. They never gave a motive for why Barry did it. Everything was like Kangaroo Court. Should have been Laurel defending Barry but here we are.

The only good parts were Snowbarrisco team up, except Frost getting knocked out too quickly, she's been known to be stronger than that.

Iris...she gets worse. Her behavior is abhorrent. Barry is a wuss to not call her out on it. Westallen is a joke, their soap opera drama takes up too much screen time. Get rid of her, the best scenes were without her dry heaving.

Dominic's body as Devoe, just no, not working. The actor is so bad it hurts.

Ralph has done the monster of all OOC with Joe wanting to frame Marlize. Those persona's should be switched. And...who is Joe now?

This show held so much promise. :(
Sure.

I don't think she has been shown to be stronger than that. She's not Black Siren who was hit by a car and then knocked out by Felicity. Frost being vulnerable to massive radiation blasts isn't out of the question.

Iris' actions aren't worse than anything the other characters have done, that Barry himself has done. Barry hasn't called out characters for similar things, why would he call out Iris? The Iris/Barry scenes weren't really prominent in this episode and I didn't see any soap opera-ish aspect to the few they had.

Joe doing something underhanded if he thinks it's for the greater good is in line with his character. He was apart of locking metas under STAR Labs. Planting evidence against Devoe isn't much different. Ralph is in his next wave of character development. I don't see either being OOC.

Last edited:
Those were the best courtroom scenes I've ever seen in any show or movie. Cecile and her defence tactics felt like straight out of a John Grisham novel. She could easily move over to Law and Order too. I hope she now takes up law in real life because she could easily be mistaken for a real lawyer.

Is it too late to bring back the old DeVoe? Can we add resurrection to the Speed Force powers? Or just have Barry travel back in time to stop the "murder"? I'll accept anything. New DeVoe sucks.

Barry should ask for a retrial because he wasn't properly represented. Maybe he could hire Matt Murdock to represent him.:woot:

Although this is entertainment, a mockery was made of the judicial system by this show.

I have almost nothing negative to say about this episode. All the parts of the machine are working at optimal capacity. The exchange between Ralph and Joe elevated Elongated Man to a new level. He's not just the funny sidekick, there is some actual depth to him now.

As for criticisms, CW went the cheap route with Fallout's appearance. That might be setting him up for a transformation later, so I can't complain too much about that. Also, the jury bought Marlize's story about "my husband encouraged me to be with another man" far too easily. It still would have logically raised some doubt. Even with those snags, this episode was just as great as I hoped that it would be.

Barry should ask for a retrial because he wasn't properly represented. Maybe he could hire Matt Murdock to represent him.:woot:

Although this is entertainment, a mockery was made of the judicial system by this show.

If it's the Mattfleck version, that would be just as bad. He was asking leading questions when it wasn't a cross examination, and also going off into parts of a closing argument. It's as if someone just saw different bits of a trial from a movie or show and then cobbled them together without understanding where they should go.

Of course, they could always have a new show having Mattfleck and Cecile going back to law school together to actually learn the stuff this time round. :o

I thought the episode was decent and relatively entertaining.

The court scenes were tough because they clearly needed to get to a certain result, but had a hard time getting there.

I do agree that more should have been made about the wife having a lover. Hell, it would have made a lot more sense for them to bring the guy in and grill him. Then he could use his new mind powers to outsmart her and shovel more dirt on Barry.

Overall, it was decent episode. Not great, but good.

Also this episode basically told us that Cisco and Caitlin aren't capable of taking out big bads on their own (way to undercut them in the process BTW) without Barry's help. So it makes his "just give up and go to jail" idea seem even dumber.

For science nerds, an interesting little Wikipedia article on the “demon core.” This was an infamous sphere of plutonium that never ended up in an A-bomb - but which did kill a few scientists (on two separate occasions!) when it accidentally went supercritical due to mishandling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

Bottom line: radiation poisoning is very nasty; it doesn’t just make you sleepy. :cwink:

Also this episode basically told us that Cisco and Caitlin aren't capable of taking out big bads on their own (way to undercut them in the process BTW) without Barry's help. So it makes his "just give up and go to jail" idea seem even dumber.
This happens to Barry every single freaking ep. This is why a team is never going to work. So many times it's been the team vs ONE baddie and they still get their butts handed to them. DCCW: home of the lamest "super"heroes alive.

The thing that really bothers me about the new DeVoe is he reminds me of James Olsen on Supergirl. It just bugs. Plus, he isn't that strong an actor.

They may as well have replaced Sandilands with a wooden board with a face drawn on it, would've been just as convincing of a performance.

Why couldn't they do something like Quantum Leap? They could have Neil Sandilands play the part whenever he interacts with anyone (eg his wife or Barry etc) but to the rest of the world he looks like the black guy.

That way they could continue the idea that he has changed his appearance and everyone thinks it's a different guy, but for the audience and the main characters' sake, he looks like Sandilands.

In Quantum Leap they didn't have some different actor playing the part everytime Sam Beckett leapt into a different body and assumed all of that person's characteristics. It was always Scott Bakula.

Too sophisticated for The CW. Who voted this a 1? lol

I was more than expecting him to go on the 'lamb' after the guilty verdict. Stay free as the Flash at least, saving the city and still having the ability to prove his innocence by beating DeVoe. Instead, he just accepts it, knowing he'll be found guilty since they offered nothing but the 'but he's a good guy' defense, and meekly goes to jail as if he thinks he's really guilty.

Even Richard Kimble fought to stay out of jail in order to prove his innocence. I think that would have been a far better way to go, showing not just their fight against DeVoe, who could threaten to expose Barry as the Flash, but showing Barry having to continually hide and not take part in his normal life with Iris.

If they really wanted to have him in jail, then have him actually have killed someone, in defense of course, as they did in the comics.

Why couldn't they do something like Quantum Leap?

That would have been the best way to go!

It was nice seeing Mark Valley(Christopher Chance, The Human Target) as the Prosecutor, Anton Slater who was in that famous Flash comic book story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"