• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Irredeemable Ant-Man

Mistress Gluon said:
Luke Cage could still get with Misty. I could see it happening. He had no problems sleeping with Jessica when she was with someone else, and he knew it. Why not? :(

thanks for the welcome! this is still a cool place to post. does anyone know if Luke Cage kept his memories of the House of M? i thought that was real strange that he wasn't with his wifey-to-be in that reality. they kind of hinted at him being hooked up with Misty/Mercedes Knight, as well. they were both part of the human resistance. Jessica Jones didn't appear in this crossover.

"Lighthearted" from a preview seems cool to me. I liked GRAVITY and with all the "edgy" grimness of CW, I need some Marvel books that give me a break from that kind of stuff. With THE THING gone, MTU a dead book walking and BEYOND! only a mini-series (McDuffie was BORN to write a MTU-esque title, methinks), ANT-MAN may fill that void.

Dread said:
"Lighthearted" from a preview seems cool to me. I liked GRAVITY and with all the "edgy" grimness of CW, I need some Marvel books that give me a break from that kind of stuff. With THE THING gone, MTU a dead book walking and BEYOND! only a mini-series (McDuffie was BORN to write a MTU-esque title, methinks), ANT-MAN may fill that void.

i don't know what your personal tastes are but Thunderbolts is somewhat lighthearted compared to some of the main titles. sure, it's a book about villains but the art is 'light' enough and there are plenty of wisecracks.

why are you buying 3 and what number will you stop doing that at?

Dread said:

Unfortunately, if trends continue, Ant-Man will also follow suit of the others.

I, frankly, am tired of the "noir" the comics are trying to portray in Marvel. All of them have to have some huge drama, or death, or something. Not one could be about something funny like Nextwave.

Kool-Aid said:
why are you buying 3 and what number will you stop doing that at?

i'll stop when the character stops appearing; i'd guess. why three? because he's Ant-Man III. i had 3 copies of all of Scott Lang/Ant-Man II's appearances but routinely cut all of the pictures i liked out of the 3rd copy. aren't you glad that you asked? :joker:

Mistress Gluon said:

I, frankly, am tired of the "noir" the comics are trying to portray in Marvel. All of them have to have some huge drama, or death, or something. Not one could be about something funny like Nextwave.

personally, i see the marvel universe as fairly balanced. there's that 'noir' stuff but it's been used appropriately so far. X-Factor works as that kind of book. same with Daredevil. and there's not all that much death in either. well, at least, the main characters usually stay breathing. there is more wasteful death, drama, and violence in books like New X-Men. i wouldn't call that "noir." the art is cartoony enough; just happens that a lot of children are being killed off to lower the mutant populations. and i think a book can be funny and dramatic at the same time. Irredeemable Ant-Man will have to be a mix of old fashioned superhero comics and more dramatic stuff just to set itself apart/get noticed. that could be good or bad; depending on your tastes.

P.S. Nextwave is entertaining and has it's place. but isn't it pretty much just a spoof of old comics? i haven't seen much character growth or plot, so far.

Muze said:
i had 3 copies of all of Scott Lang/Ant-Man II's appearances but routinely cut all of the pictures i liked out of the 3rd copy. aren't you glad that you asked? :joker:

What did you do with the cut out pages?:eek: *crosses fingers* Please be something weird.:o

Kool-Aid said:
What did you do with the cut out pages?:eek: *crosses fingers* Please be something weird.:o

it's pretty weird. see, i've set up a paper version of a comic book messageboard. i usually cut out headshots of various marvel characters from the comics (i especially like the Copiel and Cassaday art) i buy. keep in mind that the only books i actually keep around are the Ant-Man appearances. anyways, when i'm bored, i make team lineups with them. it makes it easier to visualize what the team would actually look like; next to one another.

deemar325 said:
Thanks! Brother where you been!!??

i went back to school for awhile (job was paying for it); put my focus on studies. it's all good. i've got some free time to post again. or, if you don't believe that story, i was training to be a cage fighter in Bolivia.

Muze said:
i'll stop when the character stops appearing; i'd guess. why three? because he's Ant-Man III. i had 3 copies of all of Scott Lang/Ant-Man II's appearances but routinely cut all of the pictures i liked out of the 3rd copy. aren't you glad that you asked? :joker:

personally, i see the marvel universe as fairly balanced. there's that 'noir' stuff but it's been used appropriately so far. X-Factor works as that kind of book. same with Daredevil. and there's not all that much death in either. well, at least, the main characters usually stay breathing. there is more wasteful death, drama, and violence in books like New X-Men. i wouldn't call that "noir." the art is cartoony enough; just happens that a lot of children are being killed off to lower the mutant populations. and i think a book can be funny and dramatic at the same time. Irredeemable Ant-Man will have to be a mix of old fashioned superhero comics and more dramatic stuff just to set itself apart/get noticed. that could be good or bad; depending on your tastes.

P.S. Nextwave is entertaining and has it's place. but isn't it pretty much just a spoof of old comics? i haven't seen much character growth or plot, so far.

I mean that most of the main books are "gritty" and "dramatic" anymore, which is the definition of noir itself. Not so much that people have to die left and right, though it seems to be a growing trend. Hell, Iron Man started off like that in this current volume with some guy who doped up on a government experiment from corrupted employees, and went on a killing spree. And while they have their light one shots it seems, I'd rather see a closer return to the definition of a hero, rather than just giving the hero's another emotional notch on their belt.

Muze said:
i went back to school for awhile (job was paying for it); put my focus on studies. it's all good. i've got some free time to post again. or, if you don't believe that story, i was training to be a cage fighter in Bolivia.

Those Bolivians are monsters!

Muze said:
i don't know what your personal tastes are but Thunderbolts is somewhat lighthearted compared to some of the main titles. sure, it's a book about villains but the art is 'light' enough and there are plenty of wisecracks.
I remember once we had a little discussion about me being peeved that a lot of "decent" villians were becoming anti-heroes in Thunderbolts and you, a longtime fan, liked it. It's not my bag.

As for tastes, I like pulpy grim noir stuff and urban superheroics fine but sometimes I do need a break from the "grim shock value event" stuff and sit with a book like THE THING or MTU or so on, that offers fun straightfoward adventure. Sometimes I have a mood for space stuff, and ANNIHILATION is kicking butt. I've almost never picked up a horror or Western book, even though I don't mind watching a Western MOVIE and have probably lost count of how many of those I've watched.

ANT-MAN looks to be fine, especially if Kirkman's on his A-Game. His Ultimate X-Men run has been a noticeable downswing from Vaughan's stint and his last MTU arc is still decent and fun, but not it's best.

Mistress Gluon said:

We'll see.

Admittedly, I couldn't stand NEXTWAVE. I like funny stuff like a lot of Slott's work, but the hook is that there has to be a soul to it, otherwise it's just random stuff like AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE or something, which I usually am not in the mood for paying $3 a month for. Plus, it made some B and C list characters who COULD have one day been made good and relevent like Machine Man, Boomer, Elsa Bloodstone, etc, and made them into jokes. Historically speaking, once a character is used for laughs, they're never used seriously again. I defy anyone to find me one Marvel character who for years was used in a joke mag suddenly being used as a serious character. DC did it with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, as a prelude to killing them off, so there you go.

I dislike the trend, too. What companies fail to realize that "edgy" stuff gives off the illusion of intelligence and maturity while "corny" stuff doesn't; it was either good or not with no hope of fooling anyone. They also fail to realize that overloading on "grim" can become just as ridiculous as overloading on talking gorillas. Just more pretentious.

Mistress Gluon said:
I mean that most of the main books are "gritty" and "dramatic" anymore, which is the definition of noir itself. Not so much that people have to die left and right, though it seems to be a growing trend. Hell, Iron Man started off like that in this current volume with some guy who doped up on a government experiment from corrupted employees, and went on a killing spree. And while they have their light one shots it seems, I'd rather see a closer return to the definition of a hero, rather than just giving the hero's another emotional notch on their belt.

i understand. the random and pointless deaths aren't exactly my cup of tea. i'd rather see a superhero slug it out with colorful super-villain.

Muze said:
i understand. the random and pointless deaths aren't exactly my cup of tea. i'd rather see a superhero slug it out with colorful super-villain.

Or at least a cool supervillan that he beats, decides to let go since the villan is already halfway gone, and just says, "They'll be back, and we'll be ready!" And everybody is happy for once, rather than saying, "Well, at least they didn't take ten tons of gold," or something, trying to elate the situation.

Dread said:
I remember once we had a little discussion about me being peeved that a lot of "decent" villians were becoming anti-heroes in Thunderbolts and you, a longtime fan, liked it. It's not my bag.

As for tastes, I like pulpy grim noir stuff and urban superheroics fine but sometimes I do need a break from the "grim shock value event" stuff and sit with a book like THE THING or MTU or so on, that offers fun straightfoward adventure. Sometimes I have a mood for space stuff, and ANNIHILATION is kicking butt. I've almost never picked up a horror or Western book, even though I don't mind watching a Western MOVIE and have probably lost count of how many of those I've watched.

ANT-MAN looks to be fine, especially if Kirkman's on his A-Game. His Ultimate X-Men run has been a noticeable downswing from Vaughan's stint and his last MTU arc is still decent and fun, but not it's best.

We'll see.

Admittedly, I couldn't stand NEXTWAVE. I like funny stuff like a lot of Slott's work, but the hook is that there has to be a soul to it, otherwise it's just random stuff like AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE or something, which I usually am not in the mood for paying $3 a month for. Plus, it made some B and C list characters who COULD have one day been made good and relevent like Machine Man, Boomer, Elsa Bloodstone, etc, and made them into jokes. Historically speaking, once a character is used for laughs, they're never used seriously again. I defy anyone to find me one Marvel character who for years was used in a joke mag suddenly being used as a serious character. DC did it with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, as a prelude to killing them off, so there you go.

I dislike the trend, too. What companies fail to realize that "edgy" stuff gives off the illusion of intelligence and maturity while "corny" stuff doesn't; it was either good or not with no hope of fooling anyone. They also fail to realize that overloading on "grim" can become just as ridiculous as overloading on talking gorillas. Just more pretentious.

Dude, I turn my back for two seconds, and TWO posts sneak in. Must be my crappy reception. Helicopters suck. :o

Ringmaster? He was kinda being used in a serious way when he stole Freedom Ring's ring. But then I lost track.

However, I agree. Most joke character's are treated like crap, forgotten about, and then killed off when nobody's looking to further another character's story.

And I agree. I can only take so much grim. I work in physics, and so while my sense of humor is more or less ****ty, I still have a few shining gems of hope in me that something good and light can come out of stuff. But chances are this "mature" thing will follow, which truly betrays the original concept of the superhero. While I enjoy the human condition, you can only have so much of the crap lifestyle until something has to change. And something DOES have to change soon, or else it's going to force me into boredom.

And while Marvel does have a few books that aren't like that, as E decided to rub my face in, (jerk, j/k, thanks for the point out) I still don't think it's enough. There's no balance. It's either a book that doesn't take itself all that seriously, or a book that's trying to imitate a forensics office. Except Cable and Deadpool. That book rocks regardless.

What the hell does antman actually do? Let me guess he has superhuman strength. And a dick the size of an ant.

No, he can shrink to the size of an ant, but still retain his average strength. Also, his helmet allows him to control ants. Past incarnations could grow too.

The Man Of 16 said:
What the hell does antman actually do? Let me guess he has superhuman strength. And a dick the size of an ant.

depends on which Ant-Man you're talking about. the second one was able to please Jessica Jones and she has enhanced invulnerability. and the first Ant-man didn't need to be gifted because he could also grow in size. i have no idea about the Irredeemable Ant-Man but he's a SHIELD agent and they have a strict screening process. but, technically, neither Hank nor Scott had superhuman strength. but if they hit you, it would be very painful because they are human size strength condensed down into something a half an inch tall in size. Scott, on his first outing as Ant-Man, accidentally knocked a guy out by just leaping onto his shoulder at ant-size. he was just trying to hitch a ride. and both characters made use of what i like to call the 'momentum punch.' that's when they start at ant-size but uppercut you as they grow back to fullsize. you could liken it to one of Ryu's flaming uppercuts. the Irredeemable Ant-Man is wearing armor, so who knows how strong he is or how hard he hits? but i will give you points for the dick joke. you must be the first person to ever make that joke about an ant-sized character.

Mistress Gluon said:
Dude, I turn my back for two seconds, and TWO posts sneak in. Must be my crappy reception. Helicopters suck.

Ringmaster? He was kinda being used in a serious way when he stole Freedom Ring's ring. But then I lost track.

However, I agree. Most joke

you've just reminded me of something. i'm really going to miss Freedom Ring. it's probably the least great art of the series but i instantly liked the character. he's just the right mix of serious and comic, for me. i hope he doesn't die or fade into limbo after Marvel Team-Up is over. i'd love to see more of Freedom Ring and his friends at the diner, especially if drawn by someone like Stuart Immonen. the character seems to be the opposite of an anti-hero at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"