The Irredeemable Ant-Man has been cancelled...

PhotoJones

Avenger
Reaction score
IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN #12
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Art by PHIL HESTER & ANDRE PARKS
Cover by PHIL HESTER
FINAL ISSUE! The story of Eric O'Grady comes to an end--or does it? Who lives, who dies, who gets double-crossed? The answers to these questions and many more in this final issue of the series everyone who read loved! So get your 'Save Irredeemable Ant-Man' campaigns ready. Hey, it worked for Runaways and She-Hulk. Why not Ant-Man?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Or is it?

Is it really that much of a suprize? I didn't mind it, but knew it was coming.

Doesn't really bother me. I never read any of the current Ant-Man's comics, nor did I ever care to.

How does Spider-Girl not get mentioned in the 'save the book' reference?

I figured this to happen before #12. Way to persevere, Ant-Man. :up:

I'll be adding it to my Pull Box.......hopefully I'll be the one that makes the difference.

Let's Start a Pull My Tiny Thing campain.........eh, they'll cancel it anyway....

1). You really can neither be surprised nor blame Marvel for this. The title's sales were pretty horrible last I checked.

2). It's nice Marvel at least acknowledges it was a good book, and is giving people a chance to save it.

Ant-Man Presents: Behind the Shower Curtain with Ms. Marvel.

God, look at that face. Nine times over.

Damn. Ant-Man was a good series, too. It's not like it was as bad as Blade or one of the countless other crappy ongoing titles that should never have been.

Oh well... :csad:

I just started picking up this book recently, actually. And I haven't been reading it for Ant-Man so much as for Kirkman. Man, this bites, I barely got a taste.

Yeah, I have. I've fallen far more in love with The Walking Dead, though. I guess I just don't really find Kirkman as funny as others do. That shower gag Mister J posted, for example, has been done to death. It's practically a standard, in fact: "What would a typical dude do if he got powers? Psshhh, sneak into the girls' locker room/some hot chick's shower/a mall dressing room."

Eh, I tried reading the first issue and it just didn't grab me. Might try again when it gets to TPB, though.

Yeah, I have. I've fallen far more in love with The Walking Dead, though. I guess I just don't really find Kirkman as funny as others do. That shower gag Mister J posted, for example, has been done to death. It's practically a standard, in fact: "What would a typical dude do if he got powers? Psshhh, sneak into the girls' locker room/some hot chick's shower/a mall dressing room."
I must need to get out more. Either that or I should have read more than two issues.

It's not what he does that's funny to me. It's that he does it. That Kirkman actually puts it in a Marvel comic book. I mean, in Mighty Avengers, Ms. Marvel's busy trying to put the beat down on Ultron. Over in Ant-Man, however, she's being spied on by a pervy guy in a stolen Ant-Man suit.

I love it.

I actually really liked this book to be honest, easily Kirkman's best Marvel title.

I knew that it'd be cancelled though, the sales were around like 140 (IIRC)? It was only a matter of time, doesn't make it any less of a loss though. I hope we'll see more of Eric O'Grady.

If you haven't read an issue at least by the last, this was a damn good book but most people would look at it in the store and make a face like "ant-man this must suck" and drop it without actually bothering to check it out.

He helped people when it was convient, mainly used his powers for personal gain, and pissed SHIELD off constantly. He's like how most people would be with superpowers. Shame....

I'll be honest...I was one of those people who didn't pick it up because "A comic centering on a tiny superhero? Gotta be lame..."

:/

I'll be honest...I was one of those people who didn't pick it up because "A comic centering on a tiny superhero? Gotta be lame..."

:/

I picked it up specifically for Kirkman. The first two issues were slower than I would have liked, but it's since picked up, and become one of Marvel's best series, in my opinion.

What's weird is that they're putting out a digest collection of the run so far. That's usually done to try and get some added interest in the form of new readers. Just seems odd considering they were already giving it the axe.

What else seems odd is that Quesada mentioned he hadn't heard rumors about Ant-Man's cancellation in the latest NJF. Perhaps this isn't the end, and that it'll start over with a new #1 or something.

This doesn't surprise me. While I enjoy IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN and feel it was been Kirkman's best work at Marvel (eat it, MARVEL ZOMBIES!), it's sales have been nothing short of abysmal, selling well below the Top 100 at #140 or so with under 20k sales, which for a big two book is death. Most new books, circa mid 2006 or so, have been given more time to find an audience, but if the sales tank don't go beyond #12. Despite all sorts of pandering hype, NEXTWAVE ended at #12. So has BLADE. I suspect HEROES FOR HIRE may not be able to avoid that axe, too.

This is some improvement from earlier years, where books had 7 issues or less to prove themselves or be cut. And to be fair, Kirkman's MARVEL TEAM-UP had been a basement seller for it's last 8 or so issues, yet Marvel let him end it on his terms at #25. Few comic title launches these days actually make it to 25 issues.

IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN is a quirky book in which a character who is unlike 99% of the type of people who become legacy heroes stumbles onto the armor of Ant-Man, and hyjinks ensue. In an era where repeating what sold before, again and again until we all die, is usually the name of the game, Kirkman tried something different here. Alas, unique titles usually do not sell well. The latest cookie cutter Avengers spin-off from Bendis will sell 200k copies, but anything original usually struggles to outsell Archie. It's a cruel reality, but all too common.

I'll enjoy these last few issues of ANT-MAN. Hopefully Kirkman saw this end coming and his story reflects this somewhat. It would be a shame to lose Eric, though, because he is a unique character. I just would hate to see a future writer butcher him.

I don't think it's him watching her in the shower that's particularly funny, it's that Kirkman had the artist repeat the same panel of Eric with a dopey smile over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"