Joker "The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 2

I wouldn't really dispute your argument against Logan either. I just find the Joker hype too much for me personally although I do enjoy it. I just feel like the Academy in particular is so obvious. It's clear why Joker "transcends". It's a phycological character piece that calls back to classic film. You can't just be a great movie, you kinda have to check boxes and fit a mould most of the time.

Agree about checking boxes.. but then I think to myself, has everything been done already and the bar just set high...

I heard from various people that it was beat for beat of past films, I hadn't seen them, so I didn't know.. but then going back to those movies, it's shamefully uncanny..

That's why 'classic reeve superman' in my mind still works and can be a good blue print for superman again as Jenkins was so open about using it as inspiration, Nolan too... sure it might upset a few as it's not what they want but it appears the majority appreciate that formula.

Agree about checking boxes.. but then I think to myself, has everything been done already and the bar just set high...

I heard from various people that it was beat for beat of past films, I hadn't seen them, so I didn't know.. but then going back to those movies, it's shamefully uncanny..

That's why 'classic reeve superman' in my mind still works and can be a good blue print for superman again as Jenkins was so open about using it as inspiration, Nolan too... sure it might upset a few as it's not what they want but it appears the majority appreciate that formula.
Agreed actually. As vomit inducing as I find the Christ allegory now because of other creators making that the focal point. I would take it if I wasn't watching Superman Returns or Man of Steel. It's Singer, Snyder, Gough, and Miller's fault I'm against Donner's contributions so much. God Jor-El, bumbling uber nerd Clark, the crystal fortress, are all unnecessary things things that always come back, and people see traditional Supes as just the Donner version, which bothers me and is not true. Plus, I want something like Rosenbaum, Shea, or Brown for Luthor. Not Hackman, Spacey, Esienberg, or Cryer. So you can understand my frustration.

I mean Donner certainly invented things I would rather not be around to be used by other creators that kinda don't know what they're doing.

I would take all the elements I don't want in a movie that's more of a good time. Not watching everything happen to Superman, and the guy can't take a breath, appreciate much of anything, show much agency, or personality.

He's a husk in Superman Returns and Man of Steel, I don't know who he is beyond being a martyr that everything bad happens to so we better get sad, this isn't real life, you don't get the benefit of sympathy just because.

We have to know the guy we are seeing go through things for two hours.

Donner knew what he was doing unlike Singer and Snyder.

His character was memorable not just the symbolism and commentary. The last two guys were vessels through which to display supposed grand insights about a generic God being raised on earth, not really anyone who felt tangible. Just something so the director could display how full of themselves they are, and showcase their pretentious clap trap.

Well, that's how it came off because they invested in plot points and themes more than personality and characters.

Looking back, I still love this movie for what it was an absolutely think phoenix deserved the oscar, but I also think something like Logan is still without question a superior movie. and Joker, as much as i loved it, still isn't even close to something like The Dark Knight either. With that being said, I don't think it being inspired by the scorcese movies is really a bad thing. Loads of films do that. I've seen people say it wasn't really a Joker movie because of that, but I dont agree entirely. There's obviously comic inspirations in there, like The killing Joke and a particular moment from TDKR. It can be argued the movie is disguised as a Joker movie trying to be a scorcese film to an extent, but I guess it depends on whether or not thats bad to you.

In general, I'm curious how Joker will age with people. So far, it still seems people look back on it fondly, so time will tell.

Last edited:
Either way, I shouldn't have went on about Superman.

From THR’s latest piece on WB:

Consider last year’s megahit Joker. Film studio chief Emmerich was not a fan of the project; it was defended by worldwide marketing president Blair Rich, who was recently pushed out. Emmerich lowballed on the budget to discourage director Todd Phillips from making it, and when the filmmaker persisted, sold off half the movie. Jokerthen became a cultural phenomenon that grossed more than a billion dollars worldwide, was honored with 11 Academy Award nominations and an Oscar for Joaquin Phoenix. Would any of that have happened had Joker been dropped onto HBO Max?

Well, would it?

I think that Emmerich is still the last one standing from all of the Justice League fallout and reshuffling. I think a lot of the other big names have either moved on, been reassigned, or removed, like Kevin Tsujihara, Geoff Johns, or Jon Berg.

I do feel bad for Geoff Johns. He's a real comic guy who shouldn't have to take the blame for whatever exactly Joss Whedon and or Ray Fisher did.

I do feel bad for Geoff Johns. He's a real comic guy who shouldn't have to take the blame for whatever exactly Joss Whedon and or Ray Fisher did.

Why from the sounds of it he was just as big a problem...

Can't say I've followed all the stuff about Emmerich other than how he apparently treated Affleck, and now this article. What an utterly wretched human being. How an earth did he get into the position he's been gifted?

With this guy in charge we're not going to see a lot of risks which is criminal.

I believe him...even though I think it wasn't as bad as he experienced. I think Johns let a lot of things go he probably shouldn't have.

I love Johns as a comic writer...but he has never struck me as a guy who should be in leadership positions.

According to Daniel RPK, Joaquin Phoenix recently accepted a $50 million deal to star in two JOKER sequels. This is unsurprising if true. The film was a cultural phenomenon and is still making headlines. These hypothetical sequels will probably cost under 100 million and earn astronomical returns.

This film doesn’t need a sequel, but if Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix sign the dotted line, that suggests they are confident in a sequel concept. Neither would sign unless the story potential warranted it.

JOKER allowed Phillips to completely reinvent himself as a prestige director, he’s not going to throw that away on an unnecessary cash grab of a sequel. If Phillips is in, then he’s all in.

Additionally, Phoenix’s cagey remarks about a sequel were decidedly open-ended. He indicated that he felt there was more to do with Todd and with the character. Phoenix has (on numerous occasions) turned down blockbuster roles that would’ve undoubtedly provided hefty paychecks. He’s at a point in his career where he doesn’t need to accept roles for money or clout. He wouldn’t do a sequel unless he wanted to. And if Joaquin wants to do a sequel, then we should all be very excited for what the future holds.

Last edited:
Yeah I never trust Daniel RPK about stuff like this.

According to Daniel RPK, Joaquin Phoenix recently accepted a $50 million deal to star in two JOKER sequels. This is unsurprising if true. The film was a cultural phenomenon and is still making headlines. These hypothetical sequels will probably cost under 100 million and earn astronomical returns.

EVERYTHING we know about Joaquin Phoenix is he accepts on a film-by-film basis. He's not signing for two films in advance. So already you can tell this isn't true. That was his very problem with Marvel wanting him to sign a multi-film deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"