The Joker Thread - Part 1

keoghan dropped out of gladiator due to scheduling... Batman II??

Isn't Gladiator 2 shooting in the summer? Can't see how that would conflict.

He doesn't have any announced projects coming up so this is quite interesting and makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Someone said it could be press related stuff for Masters and Saltburn.

He doesn't have any announced projects coming up so this is quite interesting and makes me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
he needs months to prepare and get in character for the two-time Oscar-winning prestige role of the Joker

it was to do the new andrea arnold movie

I do hope we get to see him again as Joker soon though, he has a lot of potential

I read The Man Who Laughs recently. Kind of makes me want a prologue at some point (really depending on whether or not Joker ends up being the big threat, but let’s just assume he will), taking place during year one, that takes cues from his first appearance in Batman #1. Joker making threats and, no matter the effort of Batman and the GCPD, carrying them out. Play up a certain sense of dread and inevitability to this Joker.

That would be cool to see but I think they're gonna keep Joker more like the Hannibal of the trilogy and maybe he breaks out in the 3rd film.

A Year One flashback before his arrest would be dope. Could show that night in particular really. I do wonder how long Reeves plans on keeping Joker locked up. Riddler too for that matter.

I never understood the comparison between Hannibal and Joker when Hannibal is clearly more like the Riddler. All Hannibal does throughout Silence of the Lambs is speak in riddles and is even called out on it. Cold, calculating, methodical. A psychopath.

I had to sit back and think about what Joker actually is. Going all the way back to his first appearance and then considering stories like The Laughing Fish, The Man Who Laughs, Joker’s Favor, TDK and few others I understood. As random as zany as Joker is, at his core and at his best, he’s a gangster. He’s always been a gangster. Other than his obsession with Batman, he lives to cause chaos and disorder in a city that he feels belongs to him.

I actually kind of hope they focus more on that. Of course Joker can be a manipulator, because that’s part of it, but not as some sort of mastermind. The only thing that I can think of that is like Hannibal is his understanding of the criminal mind. If that’s the case, then I’m cool with it, but it shouldn’t be a his major attribute. I want to want to see more of a “Laughing Fish” Joker that kills for reasons that make sense only to him and smack Batman with a rubber chicken.

I never understood the comparison between Hannibal and Joker when Hannibal is clearly more like the Riddler. All Hannibal does throughout Silence of the Lambs is speak in riddles and is even called out on it. Cold, calculating, methodical. A psychopath.

I had to sit back and think about what Joker actually is. Going all the way back to his first appearance and then considering stories like The Laughing Fish, The Man Who Laughs, Joker’s Favor, TDK and few others I understood. As random as zany as Joker is, at his core and at his best, he’s a gangster. He’s always been a gangster. Other than his obsession with Batman, he lives to cause chaos and disorder in a city that he feels belongs to him.

I actually kind of hope they focus more on that. Of course Joker can be a manipulator, because that’s part of it, but not as some sort of mastermind. The only thing that I can think of that is like Hannibal is his understanding of the criminal mind. If that’s the case, then I’m cool with it, but it shouldn’t be a his major attribute. I want to want to see more of a “Laughing Fish” Joker that kills for reasons that make sense only to him and smack Batman with a rubber chicken.
As much as I like that, I'm not entirely sure I see Reeves focusing on that because that's just not entirely conducive to making him a threat to Batman.
I think it's entirely possible to make him a master at manipulating people on a whim while still making him feel like classic Joker since you know that means he'd turn on the charm and humor to get people to let their guard down, even when his face looks like that.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with Hannibal being much more suited to Riddler. I get the methodical thing, but everything else screams Joker to me, from how feared yet respected he is to the obvious "devil" attributes both characters often have, the one maniac who's always one step ahead of all the other much more mentally unbalanced maniacs, etc.

As much as I like that, I'm not entirely sure I see Reeves focusing on that because that's just not entirely conducive to making him a threat to Batman.
I think it's entirely possible to make him a master at manipulating people on a whim while still making him feel like classic Joker since you know that means he'd turn on the charm and humor to get people to let their guard down, even when his face looks like that.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with Hannibal being much more suited to Riddler. I get the methodical thing, but everything else screams Joker to me, from how feared yet respected he is to the obvious "devil" attributes both characters often have, the one maniac who's always one step ahead of all the other much more mentally unbalanced maniacs, etc.

Don’t get me wrong Andy, I do see Joker as being feared and devilish, but not in the way Hannibal is. With Hannibal, you don’t know he’s the devil until you know he’s the devil. That’s how so many people ended up on his table with a side of veggies and some wine. When you see Joker, you should already be shaking in your boots. That manic face, unsettling smile and probably even the way he smells. He just looks like death itself.

IMG_2466.png IMG_2467.png

There’s also nothing really manic about Hannibal. Like I said, he’s a cold calculated psychopath who has a tendency to go off in a fit of rage (which is exactly what The Riddler does). Completely different personality than Joker’s. I do feel like there’s other characters that are a better fit. Like Tyler Durden. Zany, manipulative, aloof and extremely violent.

Oh wow, something good came out of my trying to sift through all the **** in the TDK trilogy archives…

The Dark Knight - Praise for TDK from Hollywood - a collection of quotes
Matt Reeves (Cloverfield)
"I almost had nightmares after 'Dark Knight' from Heath Ledger's performance. He so captured that anarchy and bitterness. There's nothing scarier than the person who has nothing to lose. Anarchy is pleasure for them. He definitely deserves some recognition from the Academy Awards. I've never seen somebody in that kind of film who brought that kind of complexity and resonance to the character. He just popped off the screen in a way I'll never forget. It's astonishing."

Seems somewhat in line with what I could imagine Keoghan’s Joker looking like.

I hope they give Barry's joker a little more hair. Make it a little less patchy. I feel since the deleted scene isn't officially in the movie they still have a little bit of leeway on the design. Not that I feel it'll stray too much from what we've seen.

I hope they streamline the look of this Joker a bit. I think they went overboard with his disfigurement. It's become a bit of a turn off for me.

I feel like that's just because it was intentionally super detailed for the closeup shot. I really don't think he's as distractingly unrecognizable as some people think, it's really just the mouth.

as i stated before, i love the look, i'm tired of the pristine and handsome joker. give me a nightmarish one. only issue I WOULD have is if they keep his hair that patchy. aside from that, no notes.

I'm fine with it as is but if Reeves wanted to tweak it a bit more that would be fine too.

On an unrelated note, I heard Keoghan is very good in this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"