Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Ryan Gosling
Michael Fassbender
Armie Hammer
Jon Hamm

Who else could do it?

What I loved was that he was both too old for Billy and too young/not the right shape for Shazam. So, what? Motion capture both characters? What a budget...

Andrew Lincoln
Anson Mount
Eion Bailey
Jake Gyllenhaal
Richard Armitage
Wes Bentley

I cannot even think of one modern actor that I'd trust to play a great Batman. Bale was a good find back in the day, albeit a little bit dull. This scarcity of fitting actors comes from the decline of the stereotypical "dark, tall, blue-eyed and handsome" ideal of American society that was prevalent until the 80s. In past decades, it wouldn't have been hard to find a good actor for Batman.

I could think of a long list of actors who could do at least a serviceable job playing Batman.

Just Batman? Sure. All three personas? Not so long of a list. Affleck proved that he can only do one of those sides well enough.

I'd rather not settle for mediocrity. I don't want "serviceable". That's what we got with Kilmer and Affleck. I want an actor who breaks new ground and is absolutely fascinating to watch in all three personas of the character. When you ask for that, there's a few names that can handle it at this point in their career.

I don't see a slam dunk anywhere but there are guys who would be fine in the role. It is what it is. There's no one to lose my mind over.

Just Batman? Sure. All three personas? Not so long of a list. Affleck proved that he can only do one of those sides well enough.

I'd rather not settle for mediocrity. I don't want "serviceable". That's what we got with Kilmer and Affleck. I want an actor who breaks new ground and is absolutely fascinating to watch in all three personas of the character. When you ask for that, there's a few names that can handle it at this point in their career.

Personally, I think Affleck did all three personas well in BvS. He played Batman well, Did the serious Bruce Wayne and the arrogant Prick Bruce Wayne.

I don't need an actor to break new ground and honestly, I'm unsure what that means when it comes to the character of Batman. Good writing and a good actor can do the character justice. I think we got that in Keaton, Bale and Affleck in what their respective stories called for. I don't think Affleck was on anyone's radar before he was cast, but i'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say he was a pleasant surprise. Again, i'm sure a lot of people (not all) were surprised they liked his interpretation. That said, I bet there are some actors out there flying under the radar that would surprise plenty of fans.

I'm super curious who the actors are you think can handle all three personas.

Last edited:
I don't see a slam dunk anywhere but there are guys who would be fine in the role. It is what it is. There's no one to lose my mind over.

There's also the matter of not really knowing how much of a hit someone will be until you've actually seen them in-character. NO ONE here was bringing up Heath's name for the Joker leading up to TDK, and when he was cast NO ONE knew just how much he would kill it.

Sometimes, I think we have to just trust that the people making these movies may know better than we do.

Just wanted to mention something about the Ben Barnes suggestion...

I don't see him as Bruce material, but maybe ... Black Mask?

Idk, just a thought that popped into my head.

Personally, I think Affleck did all three personas well in BvS. He played Batman well, Did the serious Bruce Wayne and the arrogant Prick Bruce Wayne.

I don't need an actor to break new ground and honestly, I'm unsure what that means when it comes to the character of Batman. Good writing and a good actor can do the character justice. I think we got that in Keaton, Bale and Affleck in what their respective stories called for. I don't think Affleck was on anyone's radar before he was cast, but i'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say he was a pleasant surprise. Again, i'm sure a lot of people (not all) were surprised they liked his interpretation. That said, I bet there are some actors out there flying under the radar that would surprise plenty of fans.

I'm super curious who the actors are you think can handle all three personas.
Affleck played public Wayne, private Wayne and Batman the exact same way. He was a arrogant prick with a confrontational attitude in private just like he was in public. As batman he looked around, spoke, delivered his lines like Bruce/Ben would. No variation. The only difference was a cowl over his face and people in post production adding a robot effect to his voice.

So I blame the writing, direction, and his acting.

There's also the matter of not really knowing how much of a hit someone will be until you've actually seen them in-character. NO ONE here was bringing up Heath's name for the Joker leading up to TDK, and when he was cast NO ONE knew just how much he would kill it.

Sometimes, I think we have to just trust that the people making these movies may know better than we do.

This is true. I must say though, there is something special about seeing the majority of an online fanbase tally behind someone, then they get the part, and then they do very well.

Affleck played public Wayne, private Wayne and Batman the exact same way. He was a arrogant prick with a confrontational attitude in private just like he was in public. As batman he looked around, spoke, delivered his lines like Bruce/Ben would. No variation. The only difference was a cowl over his face and people in post production adding a robot effect to his voice.

I think we saw two different films..haha.

In private he was Bruce Wayne: Tired, Angry and conflicted. The way he acted At Lex's party, especially towards Clark, he was arrogant etc.. As Batman, well, he was Batman. He delivered his lines and showed emotion. No different (but different) than Bale's interpretation as Batman when he showed emotion. I guess I don't understand your disdain for Affleck. I respect it, but I don't understand it. I guess I don't have to, but would like to. It reads like you have a fatwa out for him..lol

Would still love to know what actors you think can effectively show all 3 different personas of the character.

He's probably not the best actor out there (given he's taken crappy roles), but what about Theo James?

BFnur2Y.jpg

He's got the voice for it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention something about the Ben Barnes suggestion...

I don't see him as Bruce material, but maybe ... Black Mask?

Idk, just a thought that popped into my head.

Yeah I can see that.

I really didn't see some great variation either. He was basically different gradations of the same personality as opposed to say Bale and Conroy's versions who had distinct personas.

He had the imposing physical presence and he looked like he was out of a comic , but other than that ,never clicked as Batman to me the way Keaton and Bale did.

That's why I really don't feel some great love for his version of the character that alot of diehard fans seem to.

What I loved was that he was both too old for Billy and too young/not the right shape for Shazam. So, what? Motion capture both characters? What a budget...

Yeah, that sounds like a terrible idea for a newly introduced character. They should be trying to keep the budget in check for an unproven hero, not throwing money away on wasteful ideas.

Remember, a lot of the performance has to do with the script and director.

But anyways, my picks for a younger/rebooted Batman are Dan Stevens or Armie Hammer. And for a straight recast of an older Batman, maybe Jon Hamm or Eric Bana.

Last edited:
So we discussed this idea briefly in the last thread, but I want to pose it again.

Suppose Matt Reeves wanted to bring Christian Bale back to play Batman, but it would be an entirely new take on the character, in an entirely new continuity completely divorced from the Nolan trilogy. Think Judi Dench's M in the James Bond franchise, only take that idea and apply it to a major titular character. In effect, Bale would become the cinematic face of Batman.

1) Would that idea even work?
2) Would you be up for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe