Inhumans The Ken Leung is Karnak Thread

Blackbolt better be in black leather though. Or in a black suit made of some alien-looking material.

Black Bolt has one of the greatest costumes in all of comicdom. We better see it.

Black leather outfits would just encourage all those complaints about the Inhumans totally being a rip-off of the X-Men.:oldrazz:

I don't think so. Unless the others also wear black leather costumes.

Blackbolt should be in a brown and tan tiger stripe outfit then with bare arms. He'd never be accused of ripping off movie X-Men. :o

I know sarcasm when I see one. It is just not that evident when I am online because you can't see my facial expressions.

Not inspired by this casting, although for Karnak is one of the harder characters to cast.

I've nothing against the actor, I'm just iffy on casting an Asian for the "kung-fu" Inhuman. I disagree with the "give him a smaller head" sentiments, but won't be surprised if they go that route.

Good for Ken Leung nabbing a big role like this. Always enjoyed his appearances on Person of Interest. He's appeared in a bunch of films in fairly minor roles over the years, so good on him getting Karnak.

Karnak could be a breakout character for the show, so I hope he gets a lot of screentime.

Not sure if it's purposeful or not, but Karnak in his various animated and comic appearances over the years seems to make casting an ethnically Asian actor in the role a good fit. I hope that doesn't get taken the wrong way. I think in many of his more modern appearances in comic and animation, the character looks like he's of Southeast Asian descent.

Now maybe it's problematic because Karnak is like a martial arts master, but wouldn't it be equally problematic if only white actors were cast in all the main Inhuman roles, especially with white actors playing essentially Black Bolt, Maximus and Medusa? Very likely Crystal as well. I'm just saying, people will complain if that happens too and they still might. A vocal minority complained about a white actor being cast as Iron Fist and called it white washing.

Now maybe it's problematic because Karnak is like a martial arts master, but wouldn't it be equally problematic if only white actors were cast in all the main Inhuman roles, especially with white actors playing essentially Black Bolt, Maximus and Medusa? Very likely Crystal as well.

They could cast a non-white actor in the role. If people can accept fish-people and people with horse hooves, they can accept these sisters looking different ethnically. I mean if only white actors get to play the "normal" looking Inhumans (assuming Karnak has his traditional big ass head) that will be a source of complaints as well.

I'm just saying, people will complain if that happens too and they still might. A vocal minority complained about a white actor being cast as Iron Fist and called it white washing.

The complaints I saw weren't about white washing but about the "mighty whitey" trope", where a white character comes in and is better than all the indigenous people. It's been done to death and I understand where those people are coming from, even though I personally have no problem with him being a white guy in the adaptation just like he is in the comics.

In the comics the Inhumans are very strict about genetics and bloodlines with the genetic council governing their society.

Obviously the TV show show doesn't have to follow everything from the comics.

I think they can get away with casting actors of a different race as cousins or making characters half siblings and casting biracial actors if they want to make the Royal family more diverse.

Ultimately you need the cast to have chemistry which will make you believe they are a family.

I wonder if we will get a black actor for one of the three remaining roles.

The complaints I saw weren't about white washing but about the "mighty whitey" trope", where a white character comes in and is better than all the indigenous people. It's been done to death and I understand where those people are coming from, even though I personally have no problem with him being a white guy in the adaptation just like he is in the comics.

Yeah saying it was about whitewashing as a complete misrepresentation of what it was actually about.

Any way hopefully we get some casting for Gorgon today. Though it is the weekend so who knows.

Well they could get a black actor for Triton. But the only thing is that he would be green most of the time, unless somehow he reverts to a more human form.

There's a Sealab 2021 joke about the black guy mutating into a sea monster so the writers didn't have to write an "urban" character.

My fan casting was Riz Ahmed. I'm a bit indifferent to this casting decision. There isn't a character he's played in the past that particularity screamed Karnak, but he's a seasoned actor so I trust the casting directors.

I will say I wanted them to avoid an oriental character as the token martial artist. But it's more of a nit pick than a complaint. I'm sure this version of Karnak will be more than just punching and kicking.

Just because the Inhumans are big on bloodlines and racial genetics, doesn't mean this has to represent as Blonde Hair, Blue Eyed Aryans. If anything, they'd be inclined towards what we would call "mixed-race", because they are seeking other genetic traits to optimize for than skin color.

I wanted Jackie earle haley because of his big bald head. Excited about this whole cast though.

It's garbage. Because you know race doesn't necessarily determine who is the best at martial arts.

Yikes....

giphy.gif

I'd like if they had him with head tattoos like Jae Lee drew on him. I thought those were cool.

Last edited:
Some version of the tattoos is probable, IMO. Especially if they don't go the "big ass head" route with the character. They'll want him to look different in some way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"